Author Topic: Ultra Slug 20 ???  (Read 792 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Ultra Slug 20 ???
« on: March 08, 2005, 02:26:25 PM »
Could you have open sights on an Ultra Slug and still be able to mount the scope when you want it? (Yep, I am a LITTLE tweeked)
Would the felt recoil change if you changed the butt stock to pistol grip, if the recoil pads were the same?
Would it drastically change the balance of the gun?
Would it make aiming with a scope harder or impossible?
Is the rifling different in the Ultra Stug compared to the Tracker II?
Almost forgot, will there be a lot of difference in the range and all between a 22in youth USH and a 24in adult?

I think my imagination has gone into OVER-DRIVE!  Must be too much coffee.  But like I have said before  THIS IS NEW TERRITORY FOR ME.

Thanks
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MTNMAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Ultra Slug 20 ???
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 02:00:49 AM »
Quote from: Cookieman

I think my imagination has gone into OVER-DRIVE!  Must be too much coffee.  But like I have said before  THIS IS NEW TERRITORY FOR ME.

Thanks

Cookieman,
I haven't had my coffee yet so I may sound like I'm flamin' you... But If you're so wired from your coffee why don't you spend some time doing a SEARCH of this shotgun forum and read what others have written about the 20 gauge Ultra...I can tell you, ALL your questions have been answered at least once in the 5 pages of info that's stored here and even if it refers to the 12Ultra it will certainly work for the 20 Ultra as far a cosmetics go.... Now I'll have some coffee, do a Lil' Readin' and get educated.... MTNMAN :wink:
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Ultra Slug 20 ???
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 07:53:56 AM »
Cookieman...H&R1871 will install the fully adjustable rifle sites installed on their other models for a nominal fee.  The fee is $42.00 plus $5.00 for shipping and handling.  Of course, you cannot use the scope mount then because the two cannot be used in conjunction.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Ultra Slug 20 ???
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 01:36:16 PM »
bleAll things are possible with $. If you want open sight and less felt recoil you could just ad weight to the stock and forearm of a tracker. It would probaly be cheaper and better to just have an ultra barrel and a tracker barel than to try to make an ultra barrel do double duty. rifling is the same. The only difference between the barrel being 2" less is the stock is also 1" shorter. I can't imagine that the 2" less barrel would make a noticeable difference. If I ever get around to the ultra project I have in mind it will have a 22" barrel.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
ULTRA 20 in 22in
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 11:16:35 PM »
Marcus
I talked with CS this week and you can have 'em fit a 22in youth barrel.  They have them in stock.  I just think the 22in barrel would be easier handling for me. I'm only 5'6" and 22" works well for me.  If I am holding it by the Pistol grip it does not touch the ground.  My ideal LOP is 14".  I would probably be OK with a Youth Ultra with a scope on it and the Monte Carlo stock.  I would probably not change a thing.  Would have to put a scope in it to be sure.  Never had anything with a scope on it before.  Will I have a problem finding a scope that will work in areas with shots in the 50 to 75 yard range?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Ultra Slug 20 ???
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 01:01:57 AM »
Just make sur when you get a scope that the power goes down to 2x. That being said I have used a 4x fixed for the last 10 years. all of my actual hunting shots with the scope have been 50 yards or lessb ut I did alot of training in the Army using optics. Didn't really learn any tricks for picking up the target quick but I shot thousands of rounds and after a while it just comes naturally. Alot of my shooting was done with a fixed 6X scope at 100 yards.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MTNMAN

• Avid Poster
Ultra Slug 20 ???
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 01:21:55 AM »
Any Low power Shotgun or BP Scope will work...My Ultra20 has carried a 1.45X5X32 on it since I bought it in '87... I prefer the wide angle field of view... MTNMAN :wink:
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
Ultra Slug 20 ???
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 02:40:37 AM »
I have a Bushnell 1.75-4x32 Trophy scope on my Ultra Slugger...I rarely take it off of 1.75x.  That being said, Simmons makes a nice 2.5x fixed power Prodiamond scope that is perfect for slug gun use...You can find the 2.5x for reasonable prices too.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Scope numbers
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 01:23:54 PM »
I understand on the scope, 1.75-4 is the magnification range, what does the 32 mean?

Also, if it helps I shoot right hand and I am left eye dominant.  Does that make any difference when using a scope?  I really don't think I can teach myself to shoot lefthanded.  

:shock:  :shock:
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Re: Scope numbers
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 01:49:48 PM »
Quote from: Cookieman
I understand on the scope, 1.75-4 is the magnification range, what does the 32 mean?

That is the size of the lens in millimeters, also known as "objective diameter". The size of the lens is related to how much light it gathers.
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Scopes
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 02:42:37 PM »
Thanks 10ga.  
So, the bigger the number the better it is in low light?  What about field of view?  Is that related to this number also?

:shock:
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Field Of View
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 03:11:37 PM »
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Scopes
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 03:26:35 PM »
Thanks 10ga!
That answered my question.  I think I got it now.  One of my main concerns with using a scope was my field of view and the other was whether it would be useful in cover.  All you guys have been helpful in answering these things.  Thanks :D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
Ultra Slug 20 ???
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 04:21:52 AM »
That's what we are all here for...Open exchanges of information.