Author Topic: Looking for a Slug Gun Scope???  (Read 970 times)

Offline ohboy

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for a Slug Gun Scope???
« on: March 08, 2005, 02:27:30 PM »
Looking for a slug gun scope for my H & R ultra slug deluxe 12 gauge.
Been thinking about a bushnell 3200 3 x 9  or a leupold vx11  2 x 7.
Didn't really what to spend the money but also considered a zeiss conquest 3 x 9. Looking for suggestions on what works best guys.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 04:39:47 PM »
Mueller optics

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 04:46:49 PM »
I'll second Deputy's recommendation, the Mueller 2-7x32 Multi-shot is an excellent scope. Free shipping at The Optic Zone. :wink:

http://www.muelleroptics.com/multi-shot.htm

www.theopticzone.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 05:16:47 PM »
Uhm, err, (trying not to offend here), but I have been using low power scopes on shotguns for almost 30 years, but maybe I'm a bit confused. Could someone please tell me what you need a variable that goes up to 7x or 9x for? 200 yard Targets? Woodchucks? What is needed is a low mounted (small objective), low power, large field of view, fast to get on target scope with an easy to see recticle. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure out in the field.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 02:00:32 AM »
I use a Leupold VXii 2x7x33mm on my Remington 1100. It works like a charm. I usually have it set on 4 power and leave it there. But I have the option to dial it up to 7 if I take a longer shot and I want good shot placement. The other thing is the 2 power is great in the woods and low light conditions. I some what agree with Ramrod, higher magnification is really not needed, but we all have our reasons for wanting it.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 05:06:28 AM »
I agree with everyone else.  For a shotgun, I would go with the 2-7x.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 09:59:03 AM »
Well, I guess I'll get in on this too.
Get the Mueller 2-7x32, you wont re-gret it  :)

It was given a 5 star rating by Shotgun World. This scope was torchered during the review and suvived everthing they could throw at it.

MO

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 10:56:23 AM »
I have no experience with Mueller scopes but I do have two Bushnell 1.75-4x32 scope on my slug guns and they are well worth the $90 I spent on them.  Bright, clear and good eye relief.  That does it for me...If one of them should break then maybe I would give a Mueller a try but until then the Bushnells are the ticket.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Nunk

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 07:47:37 PM »
I have the same gun as you, Ultra Slug Hunter, and have a Leupy VXII 2X7 on it.  Great combo.  Shootin' Lightfields out of it and it's deadly!!
Out of a public school system grows the greatness of a nation

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 08:27:41 PM »
I'm with ya WNY.  I used to have a Bushnell 1.5X4 on my Browning A-Bolt 12 ga.  That was until I replaced it with the Bushnell Elite 3200 FireFly 1.5X4.5.  

I can't say enough good about this scope.  The Rainguard feature is awesome.  The reticle glows for about an hour after shining a small flashlight on it for 30 secs.  

My buddy has a 3X9 Mueller on his ML.  I've been pretty impressed with that too.  The only thing that will take some getting used to is that big knob that is used to control the degree of light on the reticle dot.  Seems a little crazy to me to have 11 different settings for that.  It also seems a little awkward to me.  

That being said, I'm seriously considering the Mueller Eraticator on my varmint gun.  For the price, they seem real solid.
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 02:16:28 AM »
Quote from: NimrodRx

Seems a little crazy to me to have 11 different settings for that.  It also seems a little awkward to me.  

The rehostat with 11 position brightness control for the illuminated portion is a must for night vision goggles. In order for the illuminated dot not to over power the night vision view, it needs to be able to tone down to almost nothing.

MO

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 05:44:58 PM »
Can't remember the last time I was in the deer woods with night vision goggles - oh that's right - NEVER!

I wan't a hunting scope, not a tactical scope.  Low, Med. High would, with a smaller (more out of the way dial) would be nice for us non night vision folk....  Mike
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 07:27:53 AM »
Quote from: NimrodRx
Can't remember the last time I was in the deer woods with night vision goggles - oh that's right - NEVER!

I wan't a hunting scope, not a tactical scope.  Low, Med. High would, with a smaller (more out of the way dial) would be nice for us non night vision folk....  Mike

The scope was speficially designed for Shotguns with smooth or rifled barrels. Instead of offering the standard circle/X reticle we found the circle with the illumianted dot to be more of a benifit in lower light situations, especially when using slugs for big game hunting.

After developing the scope and before we named it, we found the scope had mulitable purposes and worked well in many other situations "and" on many other firearms. Hense the reason for the name MULTI SHOT.

MO

Offline tbone

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 03:46:37 AM »
2-7x works great but there are so many good 3-9x with a wide field of view.  If you lool at the specs they are usually quite close.  Why use all that magnification?  I use my scope at 9x for sighting in and judging a bucks rack at a distance or in thick brush.  For that purpose a wide FOV 4-12x works too, at least for stand hunting, and I don't do deer drives.  I also find I hold tighter on my target at higher magnification.

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 06:21:58 PM »
To each his own.  I've actually found that I fight my target more at higher magnifications, especially when I'm shooting off hand.

Try it sometime.  I was surprised.  Off hand at 75 yards, I shoot better groups at 2X than 7X every time.  For a shotgun, I love a 1.5X4.5.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 04:56:15 AM »
I too have been thinking about getting a 2x7 Mueller scope and I have been thinking about the rheostat knob.  Could the scope be rotated 90 degrees leaving the horizontal adjustment on top of the scope? This would put the rheostat in a better position and the scoped rifle or shotgun would fit in my gun case better.  My use would be for hunting feral hogs at night.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
mueller
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 01:26:46 PM »
I have heard nothing but good comments about this Mueller multi shot. I can't take it any more. I'm going over to www.theopticzone.com and getting one for mossberg 500 20 gauge. John here I come bud.

Offline Carphunter

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 03:34:06 PM »
I use a 1.5x6 4200 on my 30-06...  Love it. perfect for woods and field.  I gotta believe it would rock for a slug gun.  I also have an old weaver 1.5x4.5 that would probably fit the bill too