Author Topic: Black powder "Colt"  (Read 760 times)

Offline Anduril

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Black powder "Colt"
« on: March 09, 2005, 08:09:59 AM »
My local gun shop has two, new in box, “Authentic Colt Black Powder Series” revolvers on display. One is a 2nd Model Dragoon, SN 25### (best as I can recall) and the other is a 1860 Army SN 204###.  Neither have markings other than Colt.  Neither looks like the hammers have ever been cocked.  The Dragoon is one heavy booger, but the Army sure balances & points nice.

Does anyone know if these were made by Colt in Hartford (like the salesman said) or maybe under license by Colt somewhere else?

This store is not known for bargain prices and is asking around $975 for each.  They say they got them from an estate which means they probably paid some guys widow about one tenth what the guns are worth.  How much bargaining room does a guy have to get a fair price on one of these, or should I jump on them now?

Thanks.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Black powder "Colt"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 10:08:07 AM »
Given the serial numbers, they sound like second generation Colt revolvers. If so, the 1860 Army in mint condition, in its box, with its paperwork, has a value of $600.00. In the same condition, the Dragoon is worth  $450.00. Knock $100.00 off if the packaging is gone or damaged.
  If the backstrap has Sam Colt's signature stamped in it, then the gun is a "Signature Series" model and not worth your trouble, and definitely not worth $975.00.
   And, finally, yes they are real, genuine, American made  Colts. Colt says so. Collectors say so. The prices say so. But $975.00 is way too much. You can find them for more reasonable prices on auctionarms or one of the other on-line auction houses. It pays to shop around. Good luck.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
Black powder "Colt"
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 08:30:27 PM »
Just out of curiosity as I'm considering buying a second generation dragoon, what's the metalurgy like?  I mean for a shooter is the second gen. colts stronger than say a Uberti?

thanks
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Black powder "Colt"
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 06:28:17 AM »
I would say the alloy is pretty much the same. The finish work is to a higher standard and the action is tuned better on the Colt. The Colt has nicer bluing and the Colt has real case hardening, not the chemically applied kind. Little details like polished screw heads and correct markings make a big difference. The Ubertis are fine revolvers, both in appearance and function but they just aren't Colts and lack the cachet and value of the real thing.

If you are patient and shop carefully, you can find bargains. The Colts can be found in the on-line auctions for reasonable money, often in near mint condition for the price of a new Uberti. In my mind it is well worth waiting for one of these to come along.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
Black powder "Colt"
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 07:53:44 PM »
Thanks, I've been wanting one for a while.  I was hopeing that the alloy was along the lines of 4140 gun steel, I'm not sure what the repro's are.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Black powder "Colt"
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 06:07:34 AM »
In any case, the alloy is plenty strong enough for the job. Remember, the originals used steel that was barely different from iron, and some folks still fire them today. Mine have hundreds and even thousands of rounds through them with out failure and still look almost new.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member