Author Topic: Where to get Lead Bullets  (Read 768 times)

Offline hylander

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Where to get Lead Bullets
« on: March 09, 2005, 11:38:19 AM »
Howd'y:
I just got a .45 Vaquero and I don't Cast.
Where do I get Lead Bullets, the ones I have found are to pricey for blasting hundreds of rounds playing Cowboy.
Also what is the best weight and style for Cowboy shooting and plinking.
Failure is not an option
Placer County, Calif.

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 03:29:19 PM »
Sorry, Hylander, I have cast all my own for years. I do have one valuable tip for you, shipping is the killer and do not buy from anyone who will not ship in USPS Flat Rate Shipping boxes. Box costs $7.80 to anywhere in the US. Buy enough bullets at one time to justify that. I'm not sure how many bullets can be stuffed in one of those boxes, but the PO will accept up to 70 pounds.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline sharps4590

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:59:31 PM »
Hylander....dunno where ya are or how shipping would be from the mid-west but Midway USA and Mid-Kansas Cast Bullets are two sources.  I cast also and the last time I bought cast bullets was over 20 years ago so I don't have any current shipping info.

Vic
NRA Patron, 2006
NRA Endowment, 1996
NRA Life, 1988
NAHC Life, 1985
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 10:59:52 PM »
dry creak bullets who is an advertizer on this fourm makes great bullets. Two others id recomend are cast performance and mt. baldy bullets
blue lives matter

Offline West Creek Charlie

• http://www.colescountyregulators.homestead.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 10:13:12 AM »
Hey Hilander

Do yerself a favor and ask around at a local cowboy shoot - someone there will know where to get lead bullets locally. There are a couple casters in my area.

Also - slug yer cylinder throats and bore - Rugers typically run throats a little on the small side. Easy enough to fix with a drill and abrasive paper - the dill and paper turns out a better job than a reamer. In my experience the reamer will leave a rough surface where the abrasive paper will leave a smooth surface. Size the bullet to the cylinder throat and it will shoot straight if the cylinder throat is a thousand or two over groove dia of your barrel.

I shoot alot of 45 colt. My favorite cowboy load is a 200 grain RNFP over 6.7 grain of 231 for 800 fps and 5.3 grain of red dot for 700 fps - outta 5.5" colt. The 231 load is more accurate in my guns but the Red dot load has milder recoil allowing faster shooting in competetion.  

a 250 RNFP will shoot more accuratly than the 200 grain loads but has more recoil. Too much for fast shooting or slip hammering. My most accurate loads with the 250 are 5.6 grain of Red Dot or 7grain of 231 under a 250 RNFP.

I discovered though that most hard cast bullets will leave a little lead in the barrell and cylinder. I now cast my own LBT 250 WFN with wheel weights and lubed with Felix lube. The most accurate load I have ever shot were these bullets over 5.6 grain of Red Dot and am now trying 7grain of 231. The satisfaction I have gained by casting my own is overwhelming. I tried for years to find a load I was happy with and would not lead the barrel or cylnder. I chose the LBT bullet but I would expect the same kind of results with a standard RNFP with a plain base (without bevel) and a good lube cast with wheel weights. I got excellent result right outta the gate with my own cast bullets which I beleive is due to a softer alloy and better lube than most casters use. I can now shoot hundred of rounds with no loss in accuracy between cleanings - excellent accuracy from start to finish.
Most men wil blink an eye or take a breath before pulling the trigger, I won;t

Offline buck1

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 07:27:31 PM »
http://www.creeker.net/
I hope that works. Drecreek gets my vote.   ...Buck

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 06:07:29 PM »
I like to shoot a lot and I like to shoot black powder.  I've found for me the cheapest way is to cast my own.
With a bucket full of wheel wieghts and a 6 cavity mould I can cast enough for 6 months or so of shooting in an afternoon.  The only expense is the mould and bottom pour 20lb. melting pot.  I figure I've saved enough in shooting supplies to pay for both.  I should add that lube is also an expense, but I pan lube for black powder and that adds a little time and expense.  For smokless tumble lubing with Alox is pretty effective, easy, fast, and cheap.  I don't size since my moulds cast .453-.454 and that works great in all my 45 guns.  I get the wheel weights free when I go to the dealership for servicing and have more than I can cast right now.  I've found for cowboy loads wheel weights work great as cast, eigther in smokless or black powder.  Only problem I have is finding pure lead for round ball and stuff, but even buying the lead is cheaper than ordering.

Hope this helps
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
cast bullets
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 07:39:34 PM »
I'd vote for dry Creek as well. I have some heavy .44's I got from him that are second to none. I just saw too where he's now able to use the Post office's flat rate shipping so it's only $7 I think to ship.
  A lot of his bullets are magna cast, but he has a few he hand casts as well IICR.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline cma g21

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 04:27:47 AM »
I've had good luck with http://blackjackhill.com/

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 08:20:57 AM »
TNT Reloading has always been the best deal for me.  http://www.tntreloading.com/