Author Topic: Ankle Holster?  (Read 691 times)

Offline KF9VH

• Trade Count: (0)
Ankle Holster?
« on: March 11, 2005, 04:31:24 PM »
What is a good ankle holster for a sig 230?

I have never uses an ankle holster, are there any draw backs to using one?

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
Re: Ankle Holster?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 06:31:45 PM »
Quote from: KF9VH
What is a good ankle holster for a sig 230?

I have never uses an ankle holster, are there any draw backs to using one?

Biggest drawback for me was that it's a real bear to get at if you need it in a hurry. But I'd definitely use one for backup, just not as a way to carry a primary.
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Ankle Holster?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 01:05:39 AM »
One of the best holster artists is Lou Alessi...He is from right up here in Western NY...Here is an example of his ankle holster:

I own two Alessi holsters myself.  A belt slide and an IWB holster for my S&W Model 6904 9mm.  They are of the highest quality and workmanship.
He makes this ankle holster for the Sig 230 like you need...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline jhm

Ankle Holster?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 03:52:07 AM »
Over the years I have tried several different brands of ankle holsters and havent found one yet that I would feel comfortable wearing all day, you will walk with a different gait, try wearing a heavy boot on the leg you plan to wear the gun and a tennis shoe on the other and spend the day doing things around the house for a day and you will quickly tell the difference.  (besides when wearing shorts they are no longer a CCW) :-D  :D    JIM

Offline CornCod

Ankle Holster
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 05:59:40 PM »
Years ago, when I was in law enforcement, I carried a Beretta Model 21 around in an ankle hoster. It was not a very satisfactory experience. The gun took a terrible beating. I found ,yself smashing it into table legs and the like. Maybe I am a klutz, I don't know.

Offline harrygunner

Ankle Holster?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 04:49:07 PM »
I use a Galco "Ankle Glove" with my S&W 640-1. It does not bother me at all.

I carry there as a backup while driving on trips or into big cities.

As a primary carry mode, the gun is too far away. But, in my car or sitting
in a restaurant, it's easier to get to than the one on my belt.

Offline rockbilly

Ankle Holster?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 03:33:56 AM »
:lol: Ankle holster?  I can't find a gun and holster small enough that I can get my boot over.  Sides, dem knee high Mexican cowboy boots would make it awful hard to get to.......might as well have a pocket full of rocks.

No seriously, I have tried several types of ankle holsters (for those rare occasions that I leave the boots home and wear shoes.)  I found all of them to be awkward when trying to draw the gun.  They do take some getting use to, and may be comfortable in a car, or while sitting, but, like jhm said above. try walking around with the boot and tennis shoe.............its kinda like having a ball and chain on one leg.  I even had a holster made in a pair of custom made boots, didn't like that either, it was too hard to get the jeans up high enough to get the gun out. After a while you may find yourself leaving the gun home because you don't like wearing the ankle rig.