Author Topic: Can you shorten a Slug Barrel?  (Read 458 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Can you shorten a Slug Barrel?
« on: March 12, 2005, 12:53:00 AM »
Will it mess up the rifling on a Tracker II barrel if you shorten it by 2in?
 :eek:
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 02:03:00 AM »
Not if done properly (cut square and recrowned), its just like a rifle barrel.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 02:40:39 AM »
:agree: , I agree, the only problem might be in reattaching the front sight. The front ramp style rifle sight on a Tracker II is not attached with a screw the way they are on rifle barrels becuase of the thin barrel. They are attached another way, probably silver soldered on. You could always have a regular rifle front sight reattached with silver solder since the original one will most likely be damaged in removal or shortening the barrel. However upon further thinking, it might be possible to more easily remove the front sight from the stub 2" piece you cut off the barrel after it is cut off. That 2" piece could be heated red hot (or just as hot as needed actually) to release the silver solder with no worry of damaging the barrel since that 2" piece is going to be discarded anyway, and the old sight could be reattached to the barrel. Sounds like a project, Good Luck!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Tracker Shortening
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 02:59:03 AM »
That's what I was thinking too.  I have a Smithy that won't charge an arm and leg to do that.  I just don't have the tools and would not want to screw it up.  Thanks

Am I correct in thinking that the rear sight would also be soldered on?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 05:39:03 AM »
I have to admit I do not know. I don't have the correct sized drift (1/16th") to remove the rolled drift pin on mine to check it, and as guys here will tell you many of those small drift pins and rear sight's have been buggered up, broken, and peened over by trying to remove the drift pins improperly. The barrel is thicker where the rear sight is attached, I just checked my 12 gauge Tracker II barrel and it looks as it's screwed on, not silver soldered on. Anyone here removed a rear sight from a Tracker II and know for sure?....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley