Author Topic: Handi ?'s  (Read 353 times)

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Handi ?'s
« on: March 12, 2005, 12:31:17 PM »
hello everyone, I have my .223 handi that i shoot maybe 20-30 rounds now and then...should i clean it everytime i use it? I cleaned it very good when i first got it but is cleaning it necessary every time? How often should i clean it? How often do you clean yours? Thank-you!
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline getom59

• Trade Count: (0)
Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 01:42:14 PM »
"...should i clean it everytime i use it/... is cleaning it necessary every time?/How often should i clean it?"

Well I'd say your on the right track by asking questions and listening to the answers.  Once you got enough information decide what feels right for you and then just do it.  I don't think there's a right answer that will fit every person and/or situation.  I am aware that having a squeaky clean barrel may not be the best thing for accuracy but I am also aware that by not cleaning a gun after a good hard use/bad weather increases the odds of them getting rusty.  I hate poor accuracy and rusty guns about the same so what's a guy to do?  Do what feels right and works for you.

" How often do you clean yours?"

There's lots of different opinions for the answers to your questions.  For me though, I was raised to clean my guns after using them and will probably, for the most part, carry on that tradition.  I may compromise with myself and not clean my gun everytime if I've shot it in good weather with good accuracy and know that I'll be shooting it again in the near future.   If the weather is poor or if I/it shoots poorly and I know that I am not going to shoot for awhile then I clean it.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Handi ?'s
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 06:31:17 PM »
If your all sited in and  your going hunting or shooting in under a month...then wipe down the outside with lite coat of Rem oil or something similar and leave the barrel alone...if not...clean it and put a lite coat of oil inside the barrel and on the outside....if you have shot any cheap imported surplus ammo in it...clean it everytime you get thru...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...