Author Topic: Remington Premier Golden lead balls  (Read 729 times)

Offline grape shot

• Trade Count: (0)
Remington Premier Golden lead balls
« on: March 12, 2005, 08:46:51 PM »
Hi Guys;

I just ordered a bunch of these as they are discontinuing some of the sizes.  I have, as yet, not fired any of them.  Has anyone used them and are they good bullets.   With the brass coating they seem a bit larger than the plain lead ball.   I'll probably be shooting mostly the 36 cal police 1862 and the colt 1860.  Also the TC Renegade rifle in 54 cal.

Would appricieate and info from others shooters who have used them.

Thanx for any input.

Steve

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 04:44:15 AM »
Good ball, round and as well made as any of the other swaged ball...but when you load them in a cap-and-ball cylinder, it shears through the sides to leave that little ring of lead, so whatever plating they carry never sees the rifling.  Patched in the 54, the plating would be intact.

Not real sure what use the plating would be in any event, I've had powder fouling problems in revolvers, but not leading problems...and in rifle, using a patch, the naked ball never touches barrel.

If the price was right, then they will serve just as well as plain ball...would be more oxidation resistant if you were to store them for a long time...and they look neat.

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 07:37:08 AM »
Sounds interesting.  Who's selling them online and how much? :-)
Singing Bear

Offline grape shot

Remington golden lead balls
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 11:50:11 PM »
Got em from an outfit called D&R Sports Center out of Nanticoke, PA.
I got calibers 32,36,44,45,and 54.  Prices per box of 100 were from 5.21 to 6.20 per box.  I like em mostly because they don't oxidise and they are cool looking.  Got to start shooting some of them and see how they fare.

Later,    Steve