Author Topic: Anybody recognize this mold? Missing Sprue and hardware..  (Read 821 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
Anybody recognize this mold? Missing Sprue and hardware..
« on: March 13, 2005, 07:45:07 AM »
I would love to ID this mold so I can try to get the missing hardware. It makes two different 30 cal spitzers.  The block looks like a Lyman, and fits Lyman handles, but has no identifying marks, except two little insignia near the handle slots...looks like a picture of a nail , or a T with a cross.
.....having a hard time with the pics...I'll keep trying.  If not...please copy and paste to view....
www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=802
www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=803
 Ok...I give up posting the pics...they are as links.
....make it count

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Anybody recognize this mold? Missing Sprue
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 12:36:07 PM »
aint a lyman and its set up for a magma casting machine. Id guess its an old nei or saeco
blue lives matter

Offline Orygun Mark

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 04:18:50 PM »
I need to see pictures of the top and all sides to be sure but it looks like a Cramer possibly.   Mark

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 06:20:02 AM »
Here's a few more pics.  Thanks guys.  Lloyd....I don't know about the Magma ....It would not have sprues and attach in the center?
http://www.flyinglead.info/bb/viewtopic.php?p=14476#14476
....make it count

Offline Orygun Mark

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 06:13:09 PM »
Robert,
   I checked my moulds and H & G, Modern Bond and Cramer all used this type of design. On all the H & G's and MB's I have, the mould number or manufacture is stamped on the size of the mould. The Cramers have the stamps on the sprue plate. I can email you a picture of a cramer sprue plate and the screws that will be actual size. marmil at pacwest dot net.
Mark

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 05:34:40 AM »
Thanks Mark.  I would love to see a pic.  I got this mold cheap at the Rose City Gun show last month..didn't even think about the missing sprue.
....make it count

Offline mugs

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 03:13:35 AM »
It looks like one of the moulds I've seen pictures of to cast two alloy bullets. Bullet noses are cast in the short cavity of pure lead, then inserted in the other cavity and the base cast of hard alloy.
Mugs

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 05:10:35 AM »
Now there's something I hadn't thought of.  Yes the smaller bullet IS EXACTLY identical to the front portion of the heavier bullet.  Starting to get this narrowed down.
....make it count

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 06:55:45 AM »
The answer may be closer than you think.  Let Veral Smith at LBT, next topic down, look at it.  He used to make two part moulds and may  still be doing it.

Offline Orygun Mark

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 03:53:50 PM »
The nose moulds I have seen have a tail so to speak that is smaller in diameter than the base. This mould looks like it has a longer gas check shank than needed and the space above the gas check would be for lube. Some of the Lyman 311413's had a long GC shank for that reason. Cramer and Modern Bond used the same sprue plate on some moulds and Cramer used at least 2 other sprue plates and H & G used a sprue plate that will probably fit this mould. Cramer and Modern Bond made a lot of custom 2 hole moulds. This mould doesn't match any common MB moulds however. www.castpics.net  shows MB moulds from one of their catalogs. Look under research and Data

Offline mugs

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 05:24:05 PM »
Veral Smiths soft nose bullet used a standard mould with a modified bottom pore pot. It would first drop pure lead iinto the cavity followed by the harder alloy.  Lyman also used to sell a two part pistol bullet mould. Thiers was cast as base and nose portion and epoxied together.
Mugs

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 05:26:06 AM »
Mark, the Bond molds look very similar.  I am having E-mail problems.  I received your E-mail, but have not been able to reply.  I need to contact my server, and am working on it.  I lost my entire Outlook express yesterday.
....make it count