Author Topic: Handi in .204?  (Read 431 times)

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
Handi in .204?
« on: March 13, 2005, 08:24:38 AM »
This is my first post in the NEF/H&R section because I have always been a bolt action or lever action fan. The more I hear and the more I read, the are many gun owners very satisfied with their single shots. I just left my favorite gunshop where he sells a lot of these rifles and I noticed a new .204 SB-2 Handi Rifle with a bull barrel. His asking price is $215.00 for the .204 with a wood stock.

Is this a good price? Do any of you have this rifle in .204 and if so, what kind of accuracy should I expect if I pick this up tomorrow? I reload so eventually after collecting some brass from factory rounds, I would be reloading my own.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Handi in .204?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 08:45:27 AM »
Welcome aboard, Bigjeepman! :D  I've got the .204 Handi, shoots the 32gr Hornady and Rems at less than 1" at 100yd consistently, and I expect it will get better as the barrel breaks in. Haven't shot the 40gr yet, or the Winchester ammo, but have some to try sooner or later. Also have some HSM ammo from Cabelas to try and want to try the Winchester white box that just came out.  I paid $190 for mine, last time I looked the same place I bought mine had another priced at $200, so $215 isn't out of line much.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Handi in .204?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 08:48:01 AM »
i have that gun and it is a nice one . the only problem is finding ammo and reloading stuff. my gun has only had 40 rounds down the tube right now but i'm already getting 1/2 inch groups at 75 yards. i'm having trouble finding .204 cal. bullets around here . i'm going to a gun show next week i should find some there i'll try to give you guys a in depth range report sometime in the next two weeks . and i should have a coyote report on it in the next 4-5 weeks.

bigjeepman to answer your question i think you should try to get him to go for $200 but if he wont 215 isn't that bad for a 240 there isn't a lot of them out yet.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Handi in .204?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 08:54:09 AM »
:D , Welcome aboard bigjeepman and welcome to the H&R/NEF forum, your no newbie but it's great to have you here. I don't have a .204 but my Handi in .223 with a bull barrel will shoot the Winchester Value Pack 45 grain HP's from Wal Mart (about $13-$14 for 40) in less than an inch all day long. And mine is not an exceptionally good shooter, it might become one but for varmits and paper punching that good enough for me. Some guys here are getting sub 1/2" groups from their .223 Handi's with the same ammo!!! And they are doing it on a regular basis!!!
I am sure someone here with a .204 will pipe up soon with all you need to know and probably more. It is a real nice bunch of helpful guys that hang around here, the only problem is after being here a bit and getting your first or second Handi, be it rimfire, centerfire or shotgun that terrible, horrible, non-disfiguring malady creeps up and infects you!!! Handi-itis!!! Thats right you too may become a Handiholic!!! There may still be time for you, leave now if you will, once you get your first gun and become infected there is no known cure, but, as I said earlier, it does nor disfigure you, so for the most part you still look sane on the outside...Glad you came by to visit and come often and stay late, there is always room for one more!!!!....<><.... :grin:

I see quick and Mitchell got in here while I was typing, they are good men to listen to, honest and helpful, and they know their stuff....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
Handi in .204?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 09:32:42 AM »
Go back to the store and BUY IT! :twisted: BUY IT NOW :twisted:
YOU MUST :twisted:

I have three NEFs, one was originally a 44 mag, I sold that barrel and eventually wound up putting a .223 Utra barrel on it. Then I bought a .243 heavy barrel Ultra from Brent back east somewhere. Those two are tack drivers. Then I have a .17 sportster. I get the urge to sell my Ruger M77 in 22-250 every now and then and get two Handis. See the sickness? Anyway, welcome aboard. Start the ten step program now :D
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline bigjeepman

Handi in .204?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 10:19:47 AM »
Hey ... thanks for the replies guys. I liked the feel of this .204 and I have only been buying heavy barrels lately in all of my rifles. We'll see about picking it up this week. It is the first .204 Handi that he has had in his shop.

Thanks again ..
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less