Author Topic: Dixie Slugs  (Read 543 times)

Offline James B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Dixie Slugs
« on: March 13, 2005, 06:48:01 PM »
Has anyone tried the Dixie slugs in their NEF shot guns? I have been wondering how those Three ball slugs work. According to the info on their sit the shell has three .600 balls at about 1200 fps. I think the solid slug is a heat treated 750 grain projectiles. The most powerful one has that bullet at 1400 fps.
shot placement is everything.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Dixie Slugs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 01:36:51 AM »
I have tried the 3" Dixie Express slugs, and boy of boy if I ever want some great penetration and power out of my shotgun that is what I will use. The accuracy is not as good as the Brenneke's at 50 and 100 yards but they really are for different applications. I do intend to get more and keep a couple of boxes around.
The Tri-balls looks very interesting and just the ticket for thickets ( :-D ) and up close fog or deer work. I though there was a glitch in the production, that the owner was not satisfied with the new Tri-ball molds so had pulled them until he could be completely happy with his product.
That but the way is how he and the small but quality company seems to be run, if he's nor happy with it he won't sell it and if your not happy he's not happy. A quality company and quality people all around. If the Tri-balls are available now I am going to order some and some more slugs, perhaps the Terminators this time. The slugs I had were sized to work in a different choke constriction than I uas using, I understand they have a slug which will would better in my NEF smoothbore, that really what I'm after, but I think I'll get some for the Tracker II also. I reccommend them and suggest you try a few and decide for yourself. And thanks for reminding me I have to get some Tri-Balls, I hope they have the new mold and they are ready to be sold....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline James B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Dixie Slugs
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 06:15:38 PM »
Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about getting some to have on hand while camping and fishing in Canada and even in cougar country out west. I think they would be good for a back-up gun for moose and bear hunting as well. The big hardened slug should rival the biggest and baddest African back up gun. :grin:  I don't know to much about slugs as I have always lived in rifle hunting areas. I quess maybe there are some other slugs that would fill the bill as well. I liked what I read about the Dixis slugs though. I am most concerned with performance at 25-40 yards.
shot placement is everything.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Dixie Slugs
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 09:03:02 PM »
I, too, went on their website.  I didn't find on there whether or not they are offered in 20 and 12 or just in 12.  Did you see anything about that.  I was thinkin the same as you.  Good for CampGun, and that Tri-ball, hummm, Home Defense?..........
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Dixie Slugs
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 01:00:11 AM »
I think they might provide a little more penetration than desired for home defense. And at home defense ranges if your gonna hit 'em with the three ball load you could kill'em even deader and a whole hot cheaper with the cheap slugs.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Dixie Slugs
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 01:21:44 AM »
For home defense go with a shot load, something in a short cylinder bore barrel is great,#5's to #9's or so would be good, at 10 feet or so it will absolutely destroy anything it hits, remember it's only opened up to a very small pattern at that close defensive range. You could go up to #4 buck if you wanted something more substantial and agressive, but remember this is a close range DEFENSIVE weapon and load, you really do not want a slug of any type, even OOO or OO buck is a bit large and agressive, and possibly has to much range for what you need. Look at the distances you may shoot and what's behind the walls and then make your decision. And in your home or any home ALWAYS be aware of what's behind the wall before you pull that trigger!!!! Don't be surprised after the fact....<><....  :shock:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley