Author Topic: What's Your Load?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Boge

• Trade Count: (0)
What's Your Load?
« on: February 10, 2003, 02:20:22 PM »
I've found the best load with FFFg for a .44 is 22 - 25 gr. That's with Elephant. With Swiss I drop down to 18 gr. FFFg.  I'm talking accuracy here and not stopping a charging Kodiak bear.  My point is this: just how thick a wad are you fellas using to take up the air space?  It must be very thick or else your lead balls are having to make a large jump from chamber to bore.  I borrowed from the Civil War reenactors who use Cream of Wheat or grits as a filler.  With my little bowl and Lee scoops it's faster than any wad that I've used plus it scours the bore.  In a .36 Navy I use 22 gr. FFFg Elephant or 12 gr. Swiss.  What are your loads and methods?

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Loads?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 02:37:27 PM »
In my Remington Target, a full 30 grains of fffg with over the ball grease for target work and an under the ball wad for field use!  2" groups at 20yards.

In my Colt's style 1860 I use 25 grains of fffg.  I'm not certain of the longevity of the Colt's style pistols with max loads.  The arrangement of the cylinder pin being screwed into the frame and taking the torque of both firing and loading makes me believe lighter loads and a loading tool will help.  3" groups at 20 yards.

In my .36 Navy I like 20 grains of fffg.  All Goex.  Initial indications are that this pistol will group very well, but I'm lacking the time to really give it a workout.  I have to say it gives the feeling one could hip shoot it as accurately as using the crude sights.  It points like a laser.

Dan C

Offline 445 SUPERMAG

What's Your Load?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 01:58:29 PM »
In my '58 REM my plinking load is 18gr of 777, than a felt wad treated to my homemade lube, than a home cast 454 dia. ball. The same load is also used in my Uberti Cattleman. When woods-walking with my '58 REM i up the charge to 30gr of 777. My '58 REM with 30gr of pyrodex will shoot 1.5/8 in group but since 777 came along i see no need for any other powders!
See my revolver stands.             http://community.webtv.net/V445SuperMag/BLACKPOWDERPISTOL

Offline JS44

What's Your Load?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 03:19:47 PM »
In my 1858 Remington .44 (Pietta) I use Hornady .454 balls, 38 grains of
Goex FFFg, Remington #10 cap, and Crisco for a sealer. This load does a little over 1000fps :twisted: .Yep, that load's getting up there but it's accurate and I like it. The pistol, much to my surprise, doesn't seem adversely affected. The cylinder is still nice and tight. I don't shoot it nearly as often as modern handguns so it should hold up for when I do shoot it. I want to try wonder wads in it next but for that I'll have to reduce the powder charge a little.
JS :D

Offline Flint

What's Your Load?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 04:10:58 PM »
JS44, I regularly shoot 2 Pietta '58 Remingtons with R&D conversion cylinders chambered in 45Colt.  That load is 7.0 gr Unique and a 200 gr roundnose flatpoint.  The guns are standing up to that quite well, soft as they are.  The Navy Arms barrel unscrewed, but I locktited it in, it stayed there.  I doubt that full loads of fffg black powder in the percussion cylinder will hurt the gun.  All these Italian guns are of better steel than the originals.  I shoot 30 gr of fffg with a Wonder Wad and Bore Butter in them as percussions.  I did throat the barrels, however, as Pietta's throating leaves a lot to be desired.  25gr fffg in an 1860 shouldn't be a problem either, as long as it's a steel frame.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline c mac

• Avid Poster
What's Your Load?
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 04:09:56 PM »
in my old army i use 22 gr of pyrodex and 22 gr of cream of wheat as a filler. cream of wheat will dispense in  a flask. on top I use a felt wonderwad and then a Lee 457 ball with bore butter on top. I get real good groups. not fast but under an in. at 100ft.