Author Topic: Signature Colt  (Read 491 times)

Offline grape shot

• Trade Count: (0)
Signature Colt
« on: March 15, 2005, 10:00:41 AM »
I bought a Colt from my Gun Store here in 2000.  It is 36 cal. 7 1/2" barrel all steel with screws and indent for shoulder stock.  Came with wooden case, powder flask, nipple wrench, bullet mold, cap box.  And, of course they all have Sam Colt engraved on em including the backstrap of the pistol.
     I thought I had a real collector piece until I found this forum and see that the sig. colt is not very highly thought of.  Pistol is in excellent condition and seems really tight but I guess you can't tell if it is timed right until you fire it.
     I guess what I really want to know is did I do OK for  $375.oo?  Should I keep it for collector value or just use it for shooter?

thanx for any replies.

Steve

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Signature Colt
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 02:09:05 PM »
Depending on the barrel shape, you either have an 1851 or an 1861 Navy. If the barrel is octagon in section, you have an '51, if round a'61.

Either way, considering what you paid and what came with the revolver, you did just fine. These third generation guns aren't valued as highly as the second generation or "C" and "F" series guns. Build quality was very uneven, with some very nice ones and some very poor ones made. I've got a '60 Army that is extremely accurate, yet it is so poorly finished that it is an embarrassment to be seen with. I've seen others that are beautifully polished and blued and worthy of the Colt name.

As for firing it, you'll have to decide. Twenty or thirty years from now, an
unfired "Signature Series" Colt maybe a valued treasure to someone. Or
it may still be considered a poor relation on thr Colt family tree. There's just no way to know--I'd probably fire it--but I also fire my second gen guns too.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline 1860

• Avid Poster
Signature Colt
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 12:29:14 AM »
Has it been fired yet, or has the action been turned-(cocked)?

If it's already been shot then a little more shooting won't hurt the value much.  If you have exercised the action(turned) then it's up to you as to shooting it.  If neithr then you'll want to tie back the hammer and leave it alone.

Ones that have been shot are not bringing nearly the value that pristine ones are and to be frank, I'm a little surprised that they are worth what they are.  Since they are already going up in value some, I feel they will continue to climb.  Look at the capguns we played with as kids, heck my BB gun is worth a bunch of money now.

I just bought the first guns that I'll never shoot (Pair of 2nd gen 1860's-unfired) so I know how hard it is not to shoot a gun you own.  It just depends on why you bought it...