Author Topic: Browning Hi-Power  (Read 725 times)

Offline tomjw3

• Trade Count: (0)
Browning Hi-Power
« on: March 15, 2005, 04:52:02 PM »
Hi all,
I'm looking for any information on 'smithin a Hi-Power. I did a trigger Job and the thing and it came out great-untill I went to shoot it. After about 50 rounds the thing felt like someone put a brick in it. Took it home, cleaned it and the trigger brakes like glass at 5.5 Lbs. I must have missed something but I don't know what. Any suggestions would be great-except using it for a boat anchor.
Thanks
Tom

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: Browning Hi-Power
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 10:49:52 AM »
Quote from: tomjw3
Hi all,
I'm looking for any information on 'smithin a Hi-Power. I did a trigger Job and the thing and it came out great-untill I went to shoot it. After about 50 rounds the thing felt like someone put a brick in it. Took it home, cleaned it and the trigger brakes like glass at 5.5 Lbs. I must have missed something but I don't know what. Any suggestions would be great-except using it for a boat anchor.
Thanks
Tom
...........I haven't done but a few HiPowers but do you still have the magazine disconnect in it....?.....if so then check it for burrs and free movement and gunk......they add weight to the trigger pull and can bind and raise the pull and slow the trigger response down.....hth..good luck and good shooting!!

Offline tomjw3

Browning Hi-Power
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 02:31:07 PM »
Yep, that was the first thing to go. I have two different types of mags, the factory ones and some from mec-gar and each type gave a different trigger pull and feel so that little bugger is gone.
I put a C&S trigger reduction kit in the pistol and the trigger pull went from 10.5 lbs to 7 lbs and I got the rest of the reduction from bending the sear spring. Bending that spring seems like a stupid way to lower the trigger pull. I heard that the Hi-Power is one of the most difficult pistols to do trigger work on so I had to choose it as my first trigger job. Maybe I should take up gardening. :grin:

Offline lefty o

• Avid Poster
Browning Hi-Power
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 11:25:14 AM »
you didnt really do a trigger job, you just changed spring rates in your pistol. now ive found over the years that the hi power trigger tends to attract alot of crap, so i do not lube the trigger or any of its associated parts. if you feel the need to lube this area of the pistol get yourself some form of a dry lubricant as they will not collect as much residue.

Offline tomjw3

Browning Hi-Power
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 02:45:13 PM »
The Kit from C&S did come with the hammer spring and the firing pin spring but it also came with a sear and a comander style hammer that needed to be fitted. the sear was easy to fit by putting it in the Powers stoning fixture and following the instructions. the hammer is a different story.Powers makes a fixture called the series II. I think that is where the problem started. I was to put the hammer in the fixture and just polish the hooks. I started polishing the hooks and the stone would only tuch the inside of the hammer, so without thinking I assumed the hammer was not square, I think I was wrong. Sunday I was putzing around the shop and decided to check the stoning fixture out. The fixture isn't square- so I'm going to take it to work and get one of the machineists to mesure it for me. We'll see what happens. Its going to tick me off if that is the cause , I spent 150.00 for the stupid thing and it screwed up 100.00 worth of parts. :?