Author Topic: ??on S&W Model 640  (Read 499 times)

Offline BillH

• Trade Count: (0)
??on S&W Model 640
« on: March 17, 2005, 02:08:21 AM »
I am looking at a S&W .357 model 640 (hammerless) as a carry weapon.  Does anyone carry one of these?  What are the thoughts on this weapon?  It is new and priced at $449,95.

Thanks
BillH

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
??on S&W Model 640
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 02:43:07 AM »
I once had a 442, same gun but aluminum frame for lighter weight. Really nice little gun. Sure wish I'd not traded that one off. Mine was quite accurate and hit to point of aim. Now it was .38 Special only not .357 Mag but as light as it was you'd not have wanted to fire magnums anyway.

I now have a 3" model 60 I really like but has the hammer. For any real precision you need to be able to cock back the hammer. But if close range self defense is the only inteded use I like the closed area that keeps the hammer safety tucked inside away from lint and such in the pocket. But they are heavy little buggers for pocket carry, thus the 442 I chose.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline tallpaul

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
??on S&W Model 640
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 04:37:33 AM »
I have one and like it for as little as I have shot it. It shoots surprisingly well for me.  It is heavy for its size and I haven't got serious about a holster for it yet. I sometimes think the lightweight version in .38 might be nice to have in in ADDITION to the 640.  It makes the rotation occasionally...  I like the fact that it can be shot though a pockett if needed... not to sure why but it struck me as potentially useful.... thanks for reminding me- I need to play with it some more  :wink:
Jesus Loves You.... right now just as you are.

Offline Prof. Fuller Bullspit

• Avid Poster
??on S&W Model 640
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 07:06:31 AM »
I always preferred the 638 "bodyguard" configuration. This has the built in hammer shroud instead of a concealed hammer. The 640 would be a good choice. For carry I would get the alloy model. For shooting a lot get the steel.

Actually, you need both! Practice a lot with the steel version and then practice enough with the alloy version and carry it.

Offline BillH

??on S&W Model 640
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 04:16:53 AM »
Thanks for info.  Had a few days off so did not get back on here sooner.

I opted to go with the the model 60 2 1/4" barrel.  Just need time now to do some practice shooting.

Bill