Author Topic: Leupold Scopes  (Read 940 times)

Offline vernonp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Leupold Scopes
« on: March 17, 2005, 07:54:50 AM »
I have gotten back to hunting and buying rifles and scopes in the past year. I had not hunted or shot rifles hardly at all for about 15 years.-----Before I liked leopold scopes and that is about all I considered. In the past year I have bought three rifles and scoped two of them. I put a Nikon monarch 3x9x40 on one rifle and a Bushnell 3200 3x9x40 on another. I had a problem with the focus ring on the Bushnell when I bought it but it has been corrected and I really like the scope. I bought these two scopes because of the info. I got from this forum and others.----It seemed that most folks seemed to think that these scopes were optically better than the leopold. ---------Lately though the thought has come into my mind that there still is a lot of experienced hunters and riflemen who still prefer the leopold. Why would they pay more for a leopold if it was optically inferior?---------I live in a small town and was not able to compare the scopes to make a decision on which I preferred from the side by side comparison. After doing a lot of shooting with the scopes that I have I now wish that I had bought either lower power variables or fixed 4 power scopes. If I am remembering correctly it seems that the fixed power leupolds and 2xi7x32's had better and less critical sight pictures than my scopes have. I now realize that is the most important quality in a scope for me, to be able to throw the rifle up and have a good quick sight picture.----Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Ramrod

Leupold Scopes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 11:04:31 AM »
The more things change, the more they stay the same. :grin:
There is a good writeup on the Leupold VX-III in the April edition of the American Rifleman.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Dave in WV

Leupold Scopes
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 02:14:09 PM »
The critical eye relief is something many don't experience because they aren't dedicated Leupold users IMHO. Folks that are used to other products don't seem to have the problem. Some folks seem to not like the "long eyebox" of the Leupold. It's a matter of what you are used to. I'd have some difficulty getting used to a longer eyebox than my two Leupolds have (.5") The long eyebox is something I wouldn't care for.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Leupold Scopes
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 05:18:40 PM »
I've gone thru a bunch of Leuopold scopes over  the past year...1 VX-3...4 VX-1's...1 VX-2...and I can tell ya...they all were pretty good scopes ...and for me... the non-critical  eye relief...is the biggest draw on them...espicially with the 2x7x33's...I've had these on some heavy kicking 45-70's and they have never come close to cutting me...they have been brighter than any other scope I've looked thru...same for the 3x9x40 VX-1...now the VX-2 different story...it got turned back in...it just wouldn't hold it's zero...and I traded in the VX-3 for 2 VX-1 4x12x40's...all in all...they work great for me...but none as good as the 2x7x33 VX-1's...I also picked up a Burris FF 2 3x9x40 BP...it too is a great scope...not as long of eye relief...but enough  to work on my 30-06...and it will wind up on my 25-06 now...and the 4x12x40 Leupold is coming off...would I choose another brand now that I have the Burris...yep...there are others out there that work just as good...that are just as bright...and cost about the same...one I will look at is the Burris Safari low power ...everything I've seen on it says it's top-notch...and built to last a lifetime...other scope companies are coming up to Leupolds standards of Customer Service...and the prices are getting in-line as well...so if it isn't about the eye-relief for ya...keep looking...if it is...then you choices are few...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Catfish

Leupold Scopes
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 06:23:41 PM »
I have Leupolds on about everything I own and that take about 30 Leupolds. I tried 2 Burrius scopes on handgun because I heard so many good things about them, my first one was junk. The other does work so I still have it. I bought my fusst Leupold in 1969 and still have it. It went through a car wreck and looks like it has been worked on with a hammer and a chizel, but optically still as good as new. There are better scopes than Leupold out there, but I just can`t aford them, and I will settle for nothing less. I guess I`m just stuck with Leupolds.  :roll:

Offline Zachary

Leupold Scopes
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 05:47:03 AM »
Quote from: Ramrod
There is a good writeup on the Leupold VX-III in the April edition of the American Rifleman.

Ramrod,

I don't have a copy of it, but could you just briefly tell us what they said?

Zachary

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
Leupold Scopes
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 06:37:13 AM »
The more things change, the more things change.........I used to buy exclusively Leupold.  In the past few years I have bought a Pentax Lightseeker, Burris Signature, Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch, and Zeiss Conquest.  All of these are in the price range of a VXIII and all of these are optically superior to the VXIII's I had.  ( By the way I also bought a Swaro A-line 3-10x42 that blows them all away).  Leupold has gotten awfully proud of their stuff lately, so now, in my mind, I can find optically superior or equals for the same or less money.  All have a lifetime warranty so that' s not an issue with me.  If you like your Leupld's that's fine.  They are definitely a good scope, but overpriced.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Leupold Scopes
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 09:00:40 AM »
It is hard for me to think of any other scope on my rifles other than a Leupold.  When you find something that works, you stick with it.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Ramrod

Leupold Scopes
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 11:49:21 AM »
Quote from: Zachary
Quote from: Ramrod

Ramrod,

I don't have a copy of it, but could you just briefly tell us what they said?

Zachary

The tested scope was a 3.5-10x40.
They basically explained the Matched Lens System, but didn't have the equipment to actually test the brightness or clarity. They said it appeared to be as good or better than the Vari-X lll it replaced. They also explained  the improved adjistment dials.
Now for the main reason Leupold's are so well liked by their owners.
Passing the Rifleman's torture test is no easy task. They check for resistance to temperature extremes (fogging, etc.) and repeatability of the adjustments. I quote... " as expected, the Leupold passed with flying colors." The scope is put in a freezer at 20 degrees F for 8 hours, then dunked in hot water. The adjustments are checked by "shooting a square" around an initial group. The scope is adjusted 16 clicks up and over to the left, another group fired, then 32 clicks to the right, another group, then 32 down, another group, then 32 left, finally 16 up and 16 right. The second group printed right over the first.
The conclusion is "that the new VX-lll is a tangible improvement on a tried and trusted riflescope line."
I think this magazine has all the "outdoor rags" beat for unbiased testing of guns and equipment. They have standard methods they have used for years, regardless of who is doing the testing.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
Leupold Scopes
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 03:18:39 PM »
I like the Leupold 1.5-5x20mm VariX-III. I have two of them bought used at low prices. One is on my NEF slug gun and the other on my NEF rifle in 30-30. I like the extra eye relief especially on my slug gun.

If eye relief is important to you another good low power variable is the Weaver V3, 1-3x20mm This scope has around 4 inches of eye relief constant. It is still not as nice as the Leupy's as far as eye relief goes.
I would buy another Leupy if I could find one used and reasonable........Chainsaw

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
Leupold Scopes
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 06:30:49 PM »
I've owned several Leupolds through the years, as well as a top of the line Redfield sniper, Zeiss, Swarovski, Bushnell, and Nikons.

My oldest scope, a Leupold VXII 3-9 is so rock solid its scary: freezing rain, snow, dropped on rocks, and NEVER lost its zero in 15 years (amazing ain't it).  I also have a Leupy Long Range 8-24x on my varminter (been so long since I've had it out I may not have the power right so forgive me).....the adjustments are perfect, clarity awesome, wonderful scope. HOWEVER, I just dumped a custom rifle that had a 3.5-10 VXIII on it that was mailed back to Leupold 3 times.......fuzzy around the edges and the adjustments totally off.  Each time it came back with the standard "nothing wrong" crap. FOURTH time I dropped it off in person and raised hell over it. SAME PROBLEMS upon return.  Same thing with a 3-9 compact I have.

I found a friend who has a "friend" that works for Leupold......I also got to meet a rather famous shooter whom Leupold tried to get to promote their scopes: both the employee and the other person gave me the same explanation regarding Leupold's adjustments being very inconsistent in some cases. You'll find guys whacking the scopes after adjustment with rubber mallets, and some making over adjustments then bringing them back to make up for it. Leupold refuses to change their adjustment system even though there are issues. That's why you'll see many military applications using US Optics, etc.

I'll keep the Leupys I have, they work great.  I bought the Zeiss and Swarovski over Leupold because of the issues above and LOVE both of them (especially the Swaro!). Like anything, you can always get a lemon......but with my two independent sources pointing to the same possible issue I would have a hard time choosing a Leupold over Zeiss or Swaro.

Regards,

RR

:D