Author Topic: Leupold's answer to Rain Guard  (Read 902 times)

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Leupold's answer to Rain Guard
« on: March 17, 2005, 03:32:52 PM »
Does anyone else see a problem with Leupold's coated lens for rain that screws on the scope? It's not sealed and doesn't have a dry gas between it and the objective lens. It would seem logical the chance of fogging is likely. Rain Guard works. It is not a gimmick. Leupold had it on one line of binos but doesn't advertise it now. Maybe it was a patent infringement. I'd like to have it on all of my optics.  :D
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Zachary

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 02:20:34 AM »
I saw Leupold's new fancy new screw-in lens covers in one of the magazines, but it's really just that - fancy new screw-in covers.  Okay, so the lens cover is colored - so what - others are too.  BTW, the screw-in cover only applies to the front objective...there has been no real change to the rear.

Ues, rainguard really does work, and I love it on my Elite scopes.

Zachary

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 06:39:16 AM »
Zachary, you are right....the rainguard on the 4200 works.  I think I'm right when I say Leupold's is just an overpriced gimmick....another way for them to charge you more money than it's worith.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 07:03:25 AM »
I agree.  I'm not saying that the leupold is a bad scope.  In fact, it is a very good scope.  But then again there are alot of other scopes out there that are also very good, if not better, yet cost less.  That's why I believe that they are overpriced.

Zachary

Offline Yukon Gold

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 07:50:08 AM »
Rain Guard - do you guys mean the stuff that comes in a bottle for car windshilds?  Or, is it something else?
Vegetarian - An Old Indian Word For Lousy Hunter

NRA Life Member
SASS - Silverback
NCOWS
Navy Vet. - USNA 83

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 11:44:03 AM »
Oh no, no, no....that's Rain-X or something like that.

Rainguard is a special process that is PERMANENTLY applied to optics that not only repells water droplets, but also prevents fog from forming on the outside of the lenses.

Please don't ever put any of that Rain-X or other similar products that go on car windshields to your outdoor optics.

Zachary