Author Topic: First time mounting scope  (Read 486 times)

Offline kblack583

• Trade Count: (0)
First time mounting scope
« on: March 17, 2005, 07:13:54 PM »
First time I'm mounting a scope and something doesn't seem right.

When I slide my Burris Zee rings on to the base, I can't get them to tighten up. Don't want to torque down real hard on the screw.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 07:36:02 PM »
I've had one defective ring that was missing the relief cut in it so it wouldn't tighten. Other than that, Weaver style bases vary in size, Burris Zee rings are made to fit most all of them, it's far easier to clamp them tighter than it is to spread them to fit larger bases. For bases that are on the small size, I squeeze the clamp in a dremel vise so the ring will just slide on the base, then the screw doesn't have to do all the work just to take up the slack. I use a Chapman gunsmith screwdriver set and the ratchet handle that comes with it on the slotted base clamp screw. If it's too much though, it will break the screw and that's not good.....be sure to lubricate the screw under the head and the threads to minimize the friction on the install, doesn't take much to break a screw, just ask me!!
Hope this helps,
Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kblack583

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 02:44:49 AM »
Thanks Quicktodo.

I figured with the slit in the ring base I could vise it to tighten up. Just wanted confirmation before I  screwed with it.

Thanks again.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 07:06:11 AM »
Forgot to mention that I started replacing the slotted screws with socket head screws when I learned about them at RFC, they are much more positive than the slotted screws. They are available from Tenspot at RFC. I've bought over 2 dozen sets from him, he's great to deal with.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70612
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain