Author Topic: Stock Refinishing&Schnable Forend ???  (Read 518 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Stock Refinishing&Schnable Forend ???
« on: March 19, 2005, 01:07:18 AM »
Can I use liquid stripper on a pallet wood stock without it swelling so it doesn't fit properly?  I want to change the color.  Has anyone ever done any sanding or re-shaping on the schnable forends?  Mainly just the end, I don't want to make it look like a standard forend just want to smooth it over and tone down the edges a bit.  Anyone who has done this or has pics of stock work?  I have done some wood staining so I know the basics there, but this will be a first for gun stocks.  Any special problems or concerns I need to be aware of?  I quess I just need a little advice from guys who have done it before.  
Oh, by the way, is the camo pattern on the wood stocks painted on and strippable or is it a laminate/stick-on type material that you have to peel off?
Thanks
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Woodbutcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
refinish
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 01:56:29 AM »
Dear Cookieman:
 Suggestion only, proceed gradually. As you know, the end grain works real good with stain, and if you could sort of remove some of the darker color, you might be happy.
 There is a product that I use, sold under different labels, liquid sandpaper is one brand name. It's a blend of solvents used to prepare a surface for painting. Works real slick, has a cleaning effect, softens the finish.
 Was it me, I'd get a small can for a couple bucks. You can't go wrong, cause it works for a lot of things. Hardware and paint  stores carry this stuff. If you tried some in the barrel channel, to check it out it, no harm done to the outside finish.
 If you want to tone down areas or lighten the color already on, this...might... work, it won't hurt anything. It certainly will not swell the wood, or damage it. It will remove the finish and have a...washing... effect on the stain. Overdoing things, if you get carried away, will not hurt the wood. And you still have other methods available. The same cannot be said of stripper.
 Of course, if you resort to sanding, this stuff can prep the wood for the finish you use. Do use the proper cautions using this (a) rubber gloves (b) breath enough  of the fumes and you won't care what color the wood is!
                                     Lotsa luck, Woodbutcher

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 01:57:59 AM »
Cookieman, I have refinished a "pallet wood" buttstock before (just last week) and used a paint stripper with no problems. I used a good gel type citrus based stripper though, it worked great!!! I have never done a schnabel style forearm but will.
As far as the laminated camo stocks I believe each of the piece of laminates is stained then pressed and glued/epoxied together into a stock blank and shaped and the clear finish applied. They do not have a laminate applied to the surface...
And while we are on the subject of a laminate stock, you don't have a camo you are thinking of refinishing to a more traditional color do you? (!!!) I have been looking for a camo stock and if you have one perhaps we could work a trade on a brown laminate, especially if you were planning on refinishing anyway, it would be difficult to remove the color from the laminates. I have even been thinking of stripping a brown laminate stock and staining it green or gray to be something similar to the camo laminate stock...Lets talk about this, please!!!!....<><.... :grin:

P.S. I checked the name of the paint stripper I used, it's called "Multi-Strip" by the "Back to Nature" company, it worked great!! it was fast and easy, no bad or dangerous odors or fumes and easy clean up with water, and because it is a gel there was no dripping. The label says it removes up to 15 layers of paint or varnish, also I found it did not seem to raise the grain or little "whiskers" of wood!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
MSP-Wood
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 03:00:41 AM »
I may just pick up some of both of those products.  It sounds like both have good qualities different from each other.  This would be a chance to see which I like best.  
MSP, I was asking about the camo because I have been keeping an eye on one at the Fleet Farm store.  Its the last one they have a youth 12ga Full choke.  I was thinkin' if they mark it down to get rid of it maybe I would snatch it up.  I would want to change the butt stock to adult size but thought I might just be able to strip the forend down to match.  I suppose, also, I could just order and adult from NEF and be done with it too.  I think they are about $25.  Once again,  thinkin' out loud!  LOL
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
MSP mannlicher
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 03:06:12 AM »
MSP, when you ordered your mannlicher was it hard to match the tone with the butt stock you mated it with?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
camo stock 12ga
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 03:23:33 AM »
THIS THOUGHT WAS WRONG !!  Thinkin' out loud sometimes makes me look really dumb.
Its the last one they have a youth 12ga Full choke

If its a 12ga full it IS an adult stock.  The youth is a 20ga  !!
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 06:10:39 AM »
Cokieman, the match was pretty good to the stock I had for it. It really is easy to strip the finish off theses pallet wood stocks and to refinish them. I use a minimum of 3 coats of pure Tung Oil, outside and butt ends (open grain) as well as the barrel channel of of forearms and have used 6 coats on some stocks (walnut)....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Stocks
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 06:34:49 AM »
AAAHHHH   WALNUT !!   Now there's a stock to covet.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"