Author Topic: I am an off topic dinosaur  (Read 1873 times)

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
I am an off topic dinosaur
« on: March 19, 2005, 07:28:26 PM »
I grew up in the country, the real country, not this yuppiefied version that we have today where the city dwellers are moving out to where counrty used to be and bringing the 7-11 with them, but real country where a kid carrying a .22 on their shoulder was headed out squirrel huntin' or home from it....not to a shootin' over Nike shoes  :cry:

500 acres behind us has been sold to fella who does real estate developments. Now I wonder just how long it will be before the deer population crashes because these folks are gonna come in and wipe out the habitat. Meanwhile I can hear the yuppies headed this way talking about how beautiful it is in the country. Makes me want to gag. :cry: And just how long will it be before one of these city slickers is complaining about how much noise my shooting makes :(

I go around to the local tire shops and ask about used wheel weights. When asked what I use 'em for I reply "To make bullets" I get looks like I'm some kinda terrorist, like these people have never heard of lead bullets, much less the idea you can make your own. And these folks are "from 'round here". I don't get it. Whatever happened to self sufficiency? I hear everybody complain about how store bought tomatoes taste, but I hardly see anyone growing their own anymore, half the kids I see in town wouldn't know what to do with a pack of seeds if you gave it to them, the other half think food comes from the grocery store, but ask 'em who the latest rap star is...... :roll:

I love my country, but I fear my government. Even more, I fear where a city oriented, materialistic society is taking us.

I love my Handi's. As single shots they exemplify the simplicity and self reliance of the country I grew up in. Reloading and casting my own bullets just compliment that. But everyday that passes it grows in my awareness that I am a dinosaur. The world I grew up in is already gone and being replaced by one that is as different to me as the world was different to the farmers who lost their world to industrialization. I mean how ridiculous is this, here I sit complaining about being a dinosaur, typing away on a computer keyboard to post this on an internet chatroom that is open to visitors from anywhere in the world? My daughter thinks that is normal, and that I love and play with guns is a little weird. Go figure.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 08:06:35 PM »
You pretty well sized up what I feel at times to JPH45. The times are a changing. I also grew up in the country where hunting was a way of life if you wanted meat to eat. We had a little Mom & POP store about 5 miles away where you could buy soda pop and lunch meat, bread and things you needed till you could get to the big store in town. Dinosaurs like us are a disappearing breed. :?  :?
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 11:11:45 PM »
I know what you mean. It seems that we are regressing as a society instead of PROgressing. I hardly ever hear thank you or yes maam, no maam, yes sir, and no sir. But I brought my kids up that good manners never go out of style. You used to be able to look up to the sports figures, but they are a sorry lot! Something simple and honest, like hunting and fishing is becoming somehting that only grownups do. Thank God, my young'uns were brought up like I was.  :grin:
                                                                    tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 12:22:24 AM »
I know the feeling too.  My wife and I were just discussing whether we'll move or stay in our current home.  

The 45 acres behind us was sold to a developer who proceded this past fall/winter to clearcut it and is in the process of building 90 houses!  We watched 4 deer from our back porch early yesterday morning but they will not frequent our lot much longer.  Haven't seen a wild turkey in the yard since last summer.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 05:24:53 AM »
Yes, times are changing. For those Maryland residents who remember Rt. 50 east of the bay bridge being empty except for a restuarant with a big sign reading"Eat", my heart goes out to you. I remember acres upon acres of Canada geese feeding on land back in the 70's. I also remember walking down the road in Baltimore County with a shotgun slung over my shoulder after school. Try that now. Some folks thought change was when the conversations went from the general store to the telephone. Now, change for us means convenience stores and housing devopements in place of our old hunting grounds. A store selling beanie babies where the gun shop used to be. I hate it as much as everyone else and even though I try all in my power to prevent it from happening, it is inevitable. Hunting will pass like everything else until enough people realize that we, even though more eficient, are part of nature's balance also.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline tom barthel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
THE TIMES ARA A CHANGING
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 05:57:37 AM »
I AM CONVINCED IF SOCIETY WERE TO FAIL UTTERLY, ONLY OLD TIMERS COULD SURVIVE.  How many people can make fire,snares or true primitive hunting tools?

Tom

Offline DaveP

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 07:27:02 AM »
I hear you! The old man next to me died about a year and a half ago.Kids and widow started digging perk tests within months.Sold off the 135 acres next to me to a developer.Now he's been calling me.Only "wants" about 1/2 acre of mine to give him room for an access road.And even worse,this will become a thru road to a big development beyond his. Unless he coughs up big money and buys me outright,he's gonna have to detour. I let it be known that I'm upwind-right now I'm just an eyesore,but I'm gonna be an ear and nose sore as well. May pull the muffler off the tractor and start mowing nekkid! Guy behind me has cattle on 350 plus acres,and he's in his 70's and I doubt any of the kids will keep farming.Only question is,where's left to go?

Folks move in near a farm for the idyllic country setting,then complain about the noise and smell.Move in near a range,and complain about the noise and their fear of guns.Hell,our local dirt track started requiring mufflers! (we're 9 miles away,and I could hear them from the house-and LOVED it).

Everytime I think we're the last of a dying breed,I come across a kid who gives me hope.Had a boy working for me for a few summers who lived and breathed huntingand fishing.Dumped every penny and every second he had into it.And had uncommon good sense,and new most all of the "old" ways.There's still some out there.I'm hoping my kids will be amonst them-so far,so good.Dave

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 07:35:49 AM »
You guys think you got it bad, try coming from beautiful rural New York.
From the time I got drafted to when I retired to NC... (College & Grad school / work in between). Folks just assumed I come from a fetid concrete sewer... the south is developing faster than at anytime I remember in NY!

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 07:50:22 AM »
Well as far as Toms'comment...most of the neighbors I have now know I am a 'GUN NUT" and most are pretty standoffish...mainly those across the street...(the yuppie "save the mosquitos they live here too" types. Part of the 99% that gives the other Democrats a bad name type....) During the last election we had a little competition on regarding signs in our front yard... I had plastic Bush signs and they had the cheap paper Kerry signs..alot of um....it was neat lookin after the first big rain we had...My signs faired well and theirs looked melted on the sticks...it was great! They replaced them many times... Even after the election after they took their down I moved mine over so they could see them better from their living room windows.... :roll: I have a feeling these same people will be knocking on my door wanting to be friends for protection or food or knowhow if there is ever a SHTF situation... :wink: Or maybe not....hopefully....
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline DaveP

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 10:27:46 AM »
Were they the Kerry signs that are mounted on a swivel? You know,the ones that change direction every time the political wind does. :shock: Dave

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 11:31:34 AM »
I ventallated alot of those kerry signs, I'm in the process of building a home in the country but I don't think its far enuff out. :(
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
Dinosaur
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2005, 11:37:41 AM »
Dearest Fellow Dinosaurs:
 Yup! It seems we're for it! Ain't none of us gonna live forever anyhow. THEY ain't either! This country has been changing drastically ever since it started, and didn't the "Old Timers" say similar things? We've all suffered from the same kinds of personal experences, and it's called progress. One little word can hurt so much!
 However, on the slippery slope to our inevitable extinction, we may yet count our blessings. We have now! We have a spark of understanding, and an appreciation for the truth. We have a keen yearning for the gifts the Good Lord has granted, in the forests and wild places He's given us. It takes a bit more effort and gasoline to get there, but those places are still there, a bit smaller perhaps, but it'll do. The Good Lord is still providing for us!  
 And hasn't He provided a better place than we have now? Hang in there, my Dearest Fellow Dinosaurs, we also have each other!  Woodbutcher

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2005, 11:51:23 AM »
JHP, Weren't you the guy that complained about having to read the Rossi posts? :lol: It appears that we all want to go to heaven, but none of us want to die.

If you want to have space and I mean space, you could look into moving north. When you get to the real tough climates, the mucho people problem stops. As an example, when we go to hunt Northern Manysodas or UP near the Gitchie Gumee the people problem goes away and we live in a very rural area of Cheeseville where the population is on the increase. You just can't dictate to people where to live or how to live, no matter how far fetched you think their ideas are. And yes, they will **** on your parade...............Chainsaw

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2005, 12:08:14 PM »
I moved to Lehi, UT from Los Angeles California because I wanted to return to the country, even though I only spent my summers there in Panguitch. I'm glad to be rid of my 7-11s, and I know exactly what you're talking about when you say you recycle lead tire weights into bullets. I do feel guilty sometimes when I think the spot where my home sits was once pasture land, and I have some remaining around me that hasn't been turned into a sub division yet.

But I have found freedom here, I feel like I've been let out of a cage :grin:  Yesterday I took my kids up to Utah Lake and let them shoot this 16 gage shotgun my dad gave me years ago. THAT was fun, and they enjoyed it. I couldn't have done that where I came from.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline JPH45

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 12:41:17 PM »
Quote from: Nuttinbutchunks
I moved to Lehi, UT from Los Angeles California because I wanted to return to the country, even though I only spent my summers there in Panguitch. I'm glad to be rid of my 7-11s, and I know exactly what you're talking about when you say you recycle lead tire weights into bullets. I do feel guilty sometimes when I think the spot where my home sits was once pasture land, and I have some remaining around me that hasn't been turned into a sub division yet.

But I have found freedom here, I feel like I've been let out of a cage :grin:  Yesterday I took my kids up to Utah Lake and let them shoot this 16 gage shotgun my dad gave me years ago. THAT was fun, and they enjoyed it. I couldn't have done that where I came from.

I know what you are talking about and appreciate it myslef. We moved to where we are to escape the city. What bugs me is that everyday I see more and more wildlife habitat turned into subdivision with 4 houses to the acre. And then the folks have the nerve to complain about the lack of wild spaces :eek:  :eek:  :eek: Give me a break.

Now, if they turned this land into say 15 acre minimum plots with requirements limiting maximum yard size and such so that there remained the bulk of the land for the people to co-habitate with the present wildlife population, cool. We bought where we are because of a 10 acre minimum plot size. I built my house using 60% recycled and scrap materials.

If things here go as I see elsewhere, these folks will cut the timber off the land push up whats left and burn it, then build houses with no thought given to where the material is coming from or what is being taken from the next generation. Then to top it off, after the timber is cut off, they will transplant trees from somewhere else to "beautify" things. I watched one development about 15 miles from here dig a ell to create an artificial waterfall at the entrance to their golf course. They pushed up the timber and BURNED IT :eek: Didn't even sell it for it's lumber value, then brought in big trucks with mature trees and transplanted 'em, about hald of which are dead now. The developers are complaining that they've lost money. DUH!

Where my Dad built his house in '62 was country. Now, 69 acres beside him was sold and a development created for 70 homes. There was a county requirement for 15 acres to be undeveloped, but the prime of the land was turned into streets and building lots. The creek where I caught crawdads and spent summer afternoons swimming is for practical purposes dead as a result of this and other development around Dad's 5 acres.

Sorry about complaining guys, I'm just sick to death of people driving Humvees complaining about the cost of gas while they watch nature shows on PBS and call themselves environmentally conscious. That crap is environmentally conscious like my Handi is a machine gun...NOT! I've never seen hunters do things like this to the land or the environment. Grrrrrrrrrrr :evil:  :cry:  :(  :evil:
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 01:24:33 PM »
That's why I tell people that have lived here all their lives I envy them, I was born in the wrong state. :eek:  Even since I've lived here, I've seen acres of trees leveled in the name of development. I'm sure my property value has escallated as a result. We now have a Walmart, a Home Depot, and they're building a Cabelas here too along with a Cheese Cake Factory resturaunt. I was born a city slicker, but I was supposed to be country.

We were on our way to Walmart the other day, and as we passed one of the pastures there was a horse with it's hind legs stuck in the barbed wire of the fence. I pulled over to see if I could help when along came a REAL cowboy, with chaps, a belt buckle and everything. It made me feel good to see this guy come and help.

Offline kevin.303

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 01:43:37 PM »
I was born a city slicker, but I was supposed to be country.

i've been told i fit this description.i'm fortunante enough that Winnipeg is a fairly small city. it's big enough to have all the amenities that can make living in a city attractive, but small enough that you can get out of it very easily. i live on the edge of the city and by driving 5 minutes west i can be surronded by nothing but wide open prairie. even from downtown you can be out of the city in under 30 minutes on a good day, and traffic is never really bad. i was also fortunate that my grandparents lived on a farm an hour outside the city and i spent many weekends and summers there. i think Travis Tritt summed it up best, " the country ain't country no more"

and yes i'm also sick of getting looked at like i'm a terrorist because i own guns, or luaghed at because i spend all my money on outdoors stuff and not stupid crap like baggy pants or bolt on junk to turn my car into a street racer/ rolling stereo.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 02:13:44 PM »
i feel sorry for u old timers but just think how its gonna be when i am yall's age. Just a couple of weeks ago there was 45 acres sold to a developer. It was all cleared and the timber burned. Just makes me sick to see this happen. Everyday last summer i would drive by and see 60 or 70 turkeys standing in that field. Now i dont know what has happened to them. It's sad just really sad. I can't imagine how it is gonna be for me and my children when i am your age. I wish there was someway i could have bought that land, i know for sure if that i had bought it those turkeys would still be there.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 02:35:22 PM »
Not long after we moved into our home, one Sunday afternoon a pair of foxes came strolling through our back yard. I thought "Wow, now that's cool" . There are too many homes here now.

Offline powderman

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »
Several years ago a rapist, uhhhh, I mean developer, bought a bunch of land around Lexington Ky. They put up a bunch of big bucks houses, mostly bought by city folks. They brought with them their pets, cats, dogs, and lots of padoodles. Only problem was that someone forgot to tell the coyotes they had to move. These city pets disappeared at an alarming rate as the coyotes dined in style. The residents asked the county for help, they said, it aint our problem. They called the state, wasn't their problem either. They tried the fish and game folks, saying that if the state fed their animals better they wouldn't be killing their pets. No help there either. Finally they hired a guy to live trap the coyotes, didn't want to hurt em. They of course returned. Haven't heard any more for quite a while. This story was from a friend who used to hunt the land before it was developed. A dozer uncovered a coyote den some time later and 187 pet collars were found, hard telling how many more PETS didn't have collars. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline red_ford_truck

you guys are alright!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 02:54:57 AM »
what a great web forum...new here , seem to like it so far.
i agree with what most folks are saying here.
id even go so far as to say that its more a "yuppie folks with money" problem, maybe not so much a city problem.
but i might be biased....i'll explain
granddaddy on dads side came to ohio for work form the hills, granddaddy on moms side did too....both were city folks after they got here...worked hard at good american companies...never made enough money to buy a palace out in the sticks....when i think of city folks i think of those men...great guys who went to church, rased a bunch of kids right and worked hard every day.
i know a few of the yuppy city folks you guys are runnin into, and believe me, they are an over privileged bunch in my opinion.
like i said, great web forum so far, and hope to be back
red_ford_truck

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2005, 04:30:03 AM »
I lived in central Jersey at one time and there is (or maybe was by now) a gun club in south Jersey.  The club had been there for about a hundred years or at least as long as anyone could remember. Started back when there was nothing in the area but woods and a few farms in the area.  Well back sometime around the mid 80's to late 90's developers started buying up every bit of land they could get their hands on around the club and built developments full of McMansions. And the NY city folk snatched them up like hot-cakes to get out of the big city so that they (well, their nannies actually) could raise their little brats out in the 'burbs away from all the crime in the 'Rotten Apple'.  When these yahoos discovered that there was a gun club in their back yards they freaked and started petitioning the local court to close the club down, claiming everything from noise pollution to the "danger of stray bullets".  Now mind you this gun club had been in existence in that very location for at least 50 years, probably more, prior to the arrival of these yuppies but they think that is their 'right' to have the club removed.   :x  I say they should have scoped out the area to see what was there before buying their McMansions.   That's as bad as these Californians who buy megga buck homes near the the San Andreas fault line and then want the Government to rebuild them for them every time an earthquake knocks them down!
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline magooch

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2005, 04:47:03 AM »
It is certain that the poopulation (yea, I know it's spelled wrong--maybe not) is expanding and some places are getting down right crowded, but don't despair; this is a huge country and there are still places out west where you can be as lonely as you want.  Take a trip through parts of New Mexico, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Idaho and even some parts of the west coast states.  If you can't find a place that's remote enough and unpoopulated enough, then maybe you're just too picky.

This is a great, fabulous land we are fortunate enough to live in and there's still room to live any lifestyle you choose.  You just have to go where the environment suits ya.  I could show you places where nothing has changed in 100 years--except the cars are different.  

Yup, I too am a bit of a dinosaur, but I like some of this new stuff and I guess the price is you have to take the bad with the good.
Swingem

Offline fe352v8

• A Real Regular
  • Evolve or become extinct
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2005, 09:09:48 AM »
I grew up in the city, the vacant lots we played in are now paved parking lots, the corner store is a bodega, kids do not play stick ball in the streets anymore.  I think my memories are probably better than the reality was.  But it is nice to remember.  I do not think I am a dino, just get a little nostalgic, in changing times.

life is no joke but funny things happen

jon
life is no joke but funny things happen

jon

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 04:23:55 PM »
Hey Brett, here in Lehi there are mink farms, and in the summer they stink. Well, these city slickers you describe bought homes around them and when they started stinking, they sued the home builders claiming they failed to disclose the summer odor. They also wanted the farms shut down. Huh, like that was going to happen. We live far away from them enough that we don't smell them, but if we did, it would still be better than Los Angeles.

Offline kevin.303

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2005, 04:47:43 PM »
living in a hog barn that hadn't been cleaned in 5 years would still better than living in Los Angeles. or Toronto, New York, basiclly anyplace with more than a million people and no wilderness a short drive away.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2005, 02:16:14 AM »
Nuttinbutchunks,

I live in an area with a lot of turkey breeder houses.  They can get pretty rank in the summer too.  Worse is when they cull out the old hens that are not laying any more and burn their carcasses in a bon fire.  Burning feathers smell a lot like burning hair.  

But I can plink and shoot skeet in my back yard. :agree:
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
tomatoes
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2005, 01:15:50 PM »
I had to give up on the tomatoes when they subdivided across the creek from me and pushed all the deer into my backyard.  Of course when I gave up on the garden they turned to the trees and shrubbery.  I'm inside the city limits so I can't shoot the d**n things.  We are up to our armpits in deer around here.  It ain't safe to drive after dark.  I don't mind the turkeys coming through the yard, they don't bother anything.

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2005, 01:38:33 PM »
<<I'm inside the city limits so I can't shoot the d**n things. We are up to our armpits in deer around here.>>

Why can't you use a bow?

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
deer
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005, 02:18:49 AM »
We had one special hunt that allowed bows only, but other than the one occasion, a bow is illegal.  I'm considering taking up spear throwing.