Author Topic: Florida Hunters: can you please explain your state's season?  (Read 531 times)

Offline Adirondack Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
Florida Hunters: can you please explain your state's season?
« on: March 21, 2005, 08:06:10 AM »
I've been playing around with the possibility of leaving good ol' New York and heading to Florida for employment reasons, so I decided to check out the hunting seasons/regulations in Florida. Having visited the state's site (http://wld.fwc.state.fl.us/hunting/default.asp), I was a little confused. It lists a one-week anterless deer season. But just how are anterless tags issued? Can any hunter with a regular deer permit take an anterless deer during this period? Also, am I correct in understanding that the bag limit for the season is 4 deer? How about hogs? The daily limit is 1, the possession limit is 2, but there isn't a season limit - what exactly does this mean? I.E., could I take two hogs one week, butcher them over the weekend, take two more the following week, butcher them over the following weekend, and so on?

Please, expound!!!
I hunt, therefore I am

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
Florida Hunters: can you please explain you
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 01:38:18 PM »
The antlerless deer season applies only to private lands and a very select few public management areas. Some management areas also issue tags by lottery drawing specific for that area only. Antlerless deer may be taken throughout the bow season. The possession limit for deer and other game only applies to someone in the woods such as a hunting camp or on a road leaving the woods. There is no season limit on deer. Just on some management areas.  Shoot two on day 1 and two on day 2. Drive those four home and go back for 2 on days 3 and 4, etc. Now if they stop you with 12 deer in the back of your truck, you may be in deep trouble. By the way; the hunter to kill success rate on deer in Florida is only about 15%. These are swamp phantoms, not agriculture deer for the most part.
The regs on hogs are rather erroneous as hogs are only classified as game animals on State and Federal land. Almost every management area has lifted all size and number limits. We hunt them year round on private lands. We are generally up to our hips in wild hogs. I see a half dozen a week that have been hit by cars within 3 miles of my home. My hunting partner and I never discuss wether we want to kill a hog. Only wether or not we want to clean one.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 06:50:32 AM »
Wynn - Right on the money with the reply. Clean a feral hog in 90 degree weather - yuck.

Offline fishboy1

Fl Hunting
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 09:59:35 AM »
First you have the Ungodly hot mosquito season (Archery) where antlerless deer, hogs, turkey, satan are legal.  You can shoot almost anything during archery season, even on WMA's

Next you have Oh my god my bullets melted together on the dashboard season (Muzzle loader)  Seasons vary depending on what region you are hunting, public vs. private.  Mosquitos are still in season and legal with any weapon.

Last you have "please please please cool off before Christmas" season (rifle)  Also known  as  "Im freezin, it was 85 last night and now its 38 and all Im wearing is this stupid T-shirt" season.  Rifle is buck only in most areas.

The best part about FL is the hogs.  They are legal year round on private land (good luck getting access)  With any weapon.   Man I loved hunting those piggys.  Sure miss them now that I moved. :cry:

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 12:24:29 PM »
Fishboy hit it dead on about the Florida weather. I was born and raised here and the hunting and fishing can be great but the heat and humidity in these swamps can be unbearable even for the natives. Mosquitos are year round. It is virtually impossible to hunt here without wearing 100% Deet. Even net clothing over shorts and T shirt is to much when the sun gets up.

I could leave the house right now (6:15 PM), drive less than 2 miles and am guaranteed a hog by dark. It would begin to spoil almost immediately (88 deg. + 94% humidity) and the mosquito swarms would be attracted to the blood in such numbers that you could not remain outside. (They change shifts about 9 PM) We restrict our hunting to the coolest hours and days. At my lease, we have a air conditioned cabin, cleaning/skinning room and a walk in cooler. The hunting woods & swamps here are not anything like the coastal, resort areas with sea breezes and contrived shade.

Offline fishboy1

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 12:21:17 PM »
Wynn,
old Joe will be in for a surprise in June when the humidity is higher than the temps when he wakes up and it just keeps getting hotter and hotter.

Going outside is like stickin your face in the oven to see if the cookies are done..... hOooieee I dont miss THAT.  

Do yourself a huge favor and get a thermacell.  They are the bees knees when sitting on stand and do a good job of keeping the "black hordes" away.

I used to hunt with a guy all summer for hogs/evenings/am.  Never had a problem with them spoiling as long as we gutted them quick.  We would skin and 1/4 then toss in a cooler full of ice.   Yum Yum Yum!!!
Excellent on the smoker.

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 12:58:49 PM »
I agree the Thermacells are the way to go when stand hunting IF the wind is pretty still. Not much good for stalking or hunting with a pack of dogs. I used 2 in the stand during bow and muzzleloading season this year. They are thicker than beer bottles at night in the camp.

We hunt the hogs year round but there is only so much pork you can freeze and I get tired of cleaning them to just give away.