Author Topic: Changing my carry guns as I get older  (Read 1716 times)

Offline dogngun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Changing my carry guns as I get older
« on: March 22, 2005, 04:31:20 AM »
I'm goint to be 58 in a few months, not as old as the hills, but old enough to have some body changes, strength, eyesight, reaction time, etc.
In 2003, I had 2 heart attacks and quadruple bypass surgery. I also discovered I am diabetic.
My shooting ability has changed, and I have just recently returned to revolvers as my all porpose handguns. I have only 1 semi auto at this time, a P32 Keltec, that is my go-everywhere gun. My main carry gun is now a 4" Model 19 Smith, loaded with the old FBI load .38 spl +P, or 145 grain Silvertip .357 mags, depending on the circumstances.
(I have 2 of these revolvers, almost identical, one a 19-3, one a 19-4. )

Anyone else feeling their age ?

Mark      8)

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 11:22:35 AM »
Mark,

Anyone else feeling their age?

Yeah, me too.  I gave up carrying either of my .44 mags. DA’s(S&W or Colt) for concealed carry weapon.  Tired of always stooping to the left.  Now I pack a 6” Colt .45 auto instead.  If I drop down from there I’ll pack either my M19-3” or Ruger Security Six 4” with full boat loads.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 03:59:13 PM »
:D dogngun, Been there, done that.  I had my surgery almost 14 years ago.  If I make it a few more days I'll be 66, but I feel as good today as I did at 25 (well, close).  The secret is take care of yourself.  Before having the pipes worked on I was overweight, smoked too much, and was known to take a drink or two fairly often.  Let this be a wake up call, quit smoking, drinking, watch what you put in your mouth, and get a little exercise each day. I'm convinced, it worked for me.  It helps if you have a friend who has simular problems.  This way you support each other, makes it easier to get on a program and stay there.

Nuff on that subject.  Now, last week-end I went out to the farm with a couple of autos, after firing a few rounds through a little Glock I just acquired I decided thats my new carry gun.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 10:20:59 PM »
Dogngun…

Yes, I agree with you.  As I’ve gotten older (now 69), I’ve gone from carrying a 1911A1 (.45 ACP) or a Ruger P89DC  in 9x19 with an after-market 18 round magazine when I was younger to a sweet little Kel-Tec P3AT (.380 ACP).

I admit that if I ever needed to defend myself… or one of my loved ones, I’d MUCH prefer to have one of my .45 ACP’s with its 8-rounds of 230 grain +P hollow-points, but the little 12 oz. (weighed, fully loaded with 7 rounds, on a very accurate small grams/ounces scale) Kel-Tec P3AT is a “joy” to carry compared to any other handgun I’ve ever carried including a 4” S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum revolver.

My wife & I have our CCW Permits and while she resists carrying a pistol most of the time, I “carry” whenever I leave the house… and that great ol’ 1911A1, the Ruger P89 and the Smith Model 19 was just TOO DARNED HEAVY and bulky to comfortably carry hour-after-hour, day-after-day anymore.

It’s always a trade-off… the size/power of a personal self-defense weapon vs. the need to ever use it.  If we KNEW for sure we’d need it, we’d all be carrying a short-barreled 12 gauge… or we’d stay home, one or the other.  But that’s not the case.

I often “forget” I’ve even got the little Kel-Tec in my pocket unless something or someone causes me to go “on alert”… and then my hand “finds” the little Kel-Tec in my front pant’s pocket and the world is “right” again until the possible threat is determined to be a “non-event”.

The little Kel-Tec is small enough that it doesn’t really “show” its outline in one’s pant’s pocket… especially if you put a pack of gum or some individually-packaged over-sized LifeSavers in the pocket with the little pistol.

In 30 years of “carrying” the larger handguns as a businessman and company owner, I’ve only had to pull a pistol 4 times… and had to fire it only once.  The other 3 “goblins” took one “look” down the barrel of my pistol & decided to seek other less well-prepared victims.

The 4th one was a hulking brute and just plain stupid, as he quickly learned when I put a round between his feet at 4 yards as he advanced on me.  He then decided that discretion was the better-part-of-valor & departed the darkish parking lot on a "dead" run with his mugging mission unaccomplished.

“Life” can be difficult, but the good guys usually win when they remain alert & prepared.  This is why I urge everyone I know to get their CCW Permits.  Thirty-eight States now offer CCW Permits to their citizens… the more of us who get them are sending a “message” to our legislators.

I had to laugh when the Ohio (the State in which I live) Governor made a special effort to satisfy the liberal newspaper’s whining about wanting to publish the names of those of us who got our CCW Permits.  In a “Letter-to-the-Editor”, I pointed out that I’ve love to have them publish my name in their “liberal rag” since it would serve notice to every criminal in town to make note of MY NAME… and then seek & find OTHER victims who don’t have their CCW Permits and probably don’t own a firearm for personal defense.  Naturally, they didn't publish my letter... so what else is new?

Criminals are NOT the brightest bulbs on the Christmas Tree, but they’re not totally stupid either.  In a society where you, as a criminal, don’t know if your intended victim(s) is/are armed or not, you may decide to be more safe, get a REAL  job and quit being a “criminal”.

If not, then in CCW States, such people tend to be self-eliminating as they choose the wrong victim and sometimes end up getting “lead poisoning” out of the barrel of a good-guy's gun.

It may sound “hard-hearted”, but I don’t feel sorry for criminals… they knew the risks “going-in”… and they make a bad decision (to keep being a criminal).  So be it!

Strength & Honor…

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 10:22:44 PM »
BTW... do you have your CCW Permit yet?     :-)
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline animal

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 01:29:18 AM »
I am thinking about getting an XD 9 subcompact to carry instead of my heavier SP 100. The XD 9 is kind of on the chunky side. That Kel Tec 32 is probably more practical.  The only time I had to pull a gun out as a civilian was when I was broke down on the x-way and 3 bad guys tried to help me with their knife. I had time to pull my 357. Those boys could run and drive fast for looking so out of shape. I didn't even bother to call the law.
Animal

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: Changing my carry guns as I get older
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 06:13:24 AM »
Quote from: dogngun
I'm goint to be 58 in a few months, not as old as the hills, but old enough to have some body changes, strength, eyesight, reaction time, etc.
In 2003, I had 2 heart attacks and quadruple bypass surgery. I also discovered I am diabetic.
My shooting ability has changed, and I have just recently returned to revolvers as my all porpose handguns. I have only 1 semi auto at this time, a P32 Keltec, that is my go-everywhere gun. My main carry gun is now a 4" Model 19 Smith, loaded with the old FBI load .38 spl +P, or 145 grain Silvertip .357 mags, depending on the circumstances.
(I have 2 of these revolvers, almost identical, one a 19-3, one a 19-4. )
Anyone else feeling their age ?
Mark      8)

I'll be 55 in a couple of months. Have been carrying the same style of gun for 30 years: S&W J-Frame. Five years ago I switched to a Mdl 37 Airweight®. I installed new Wolff Springs®. I stoke mine with my horded stash of Federal® Premium 125gr Nyclad® Hollow-Points. It's light, accurate, dependable, and a joy to shoot. MY EXPERIENCE (I have seen the Elephant) HAS TAUGHT ME:

1. It's not what you shoot; it's how you shoot.
2. Only hits count.
3. +P & +P+ serve no useful purpose in a snubby revolver; just more recoil & muzzle blast, not more energy. (In 4" barrel guns +P is a Distinct Advantage).

YMMV.
Happy Easter to all!

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 06:36:12 AM »
People ask me why I spend so much time, money and effort at pistol practice.  My answer is that at 25 I was a good, natural shooter with great eyesight and lightning-fast reflexes.  Now I'm pushing fifty, and I need all the practice I can get to (try to) stay proficient.  I'm not blind or crippled or anything, but I'm sure not the athlete I was twenty years ago, either!

I probably wouldn't think that much about it, but I work armed in the inner city, and my odds of needing to use the gun are a lot higher than some.   The good thing is, I DO practice a lot, and I have a lot of confidence in my lowly 38.  I'm more patient than I used to be, and a better observer.   I see a lot of things coming that I wouldn't have in my 20's.  I also don't take stupid chances, and I carry the best equipment I can afford.  If there comes a time when the feces meet the rotating oscillator, I'm better prepared mentally than I ever was as a rookie!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 10:00:24 AM »
papajohn428,

Now I'm pushing fifty

Take it from one that is there - don't push fifty, DRAG IT.  Much easier and faster.   :-D  :-D   Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 04:42:35 PM »
Lawdog, you're right.  People ask me why I don't exercise more.  My response is that pushing fifty is bad enough, without having to drag all this Liberal-induced guilt around! :roll:

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 12:28:01 PM »
Quote from: papajohn428
Lawdog, you're right.  People ask me why I don't exercise more.  My response is that pushing fifty is bad enough, without having to drag all this Liberal-induced guilt around! :roll:

PJ

:-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D   Lawdog

Offline CB900F

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 06:28:56 PM »
Dogngun;

I too will be 58 in a few months.  However, I haven't been under the knife yet & don't really expect to be either.  I've been carrying my H&K USPc in .40 for years.  I might get a 'summer' gun, but it's not a high priority.  If Kahr made a hammer-fired gun the priority would be a lot higher though.  But, as in all these things, I get what I want or I keep my money.

I've taken to riding a bicycle to work & back when weather permits, about 8 miles a day.  Generally speaking, I'm in decent shape, but did smoke for 10 years.  Took me till 1975 to finally get quit.  Stupidest thing I ever did, starting to smoke.  

Getting a smaller carry gun would allow me to dress a little differently.  Which on that long uphill grind on the way home, would be a benefit in the hot weather.

900F
Trying to eat chili without drinking beer is like trying to breathe without using air.

Offline dogngun

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 02:20:05 AM »
I'm on my 2d 4 year carry permit (Pennsylvania). The 4" Model 19 is not so heavy, and gives ma e a lot of comfort/security. THe Keltec goes most everywhere unnoticed by anyone but me.

I didn't think I was in such bad shape either - I had pain in my arms that my Dr. diagnosed as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Turned out all my arteries were at least 85% blocked. ( My former Dr.)

Who can you trust?

Thanks for the replies.

Mark      8)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 05:20:29 PM »
I'm 58, soon to be 59.  Once you are 58, you tend to start thinking 'almost 60', rather than 'mid 50s'.  I also have abandonded my 1911's for regular carry, also just too heavy and bulky for full time carry anymore.  I now usually carry a Kahr P9 Covert.  It carrys easily on the belt or in a pocket.  Had a P32 Kel-tec and liked the little pistol.  Found it didn't meet my minimum accuracy requirements.  AND I really don't feel comfortable with less than a .38/9mm.  I still often carry my S&W Airweight or even my Charter .44 Bulldog (old model-skinny barrel) but the Kahr keeps ending up on my belt.  It is also very accurate.  It could easily pot a bunny at 20 or 25 yards if called upon to do so.  I agree with others, if I knew I was going to have an encounter, I'd have a 1911 .45 on my hip.  But it's just more than I am willing to carry for a 24/7 gun anymore.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline tripper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 10:08:21 AM »
I just picked up a taurus 357 snub and am wondering what is a good cc warm weather rig. keep in mind i am a very small framed person, and luckely at my age, no extra bulges to hide anything.
be safe and god bless
tripper

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 01:36:42 PM »
Quote from: tripper
I just picked up a taurus 357 snub and am wondering what is a good cc warm weather rig. keep in mind i am a very small framed person, and luckely at my age, no extra bulges to hide anything.

Tripper: which particular Taurus did you buy? Is it a 5, 6, or 7 shot snubby? If one of the 5 shot models Pocket or IWB would be a good way to go.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 12:29:30 PM »
I favor two guns in my truck. One a tricked out 1911 series 70 45acp. The other a Taurus 2" 44sp with out the hammer spur.  It just depends on where I am and whether i need to be there as to what I carry. The snubby rides in a suede slip- in your pocket holster that works well in the back pocket. The 1911 goes in the small of the back carry x-tra clips in rear pocket. Normally the 44 goes along never both.
Jim

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 04:33:39 PM »
At 54 and soon to be 55 I too am feeling the weight of the 44mag's carrying the 7 1/2" barreled redhawk just isn't fun anymore.  I like the ruger security six in 357mag i have switched off to for many years but the high capacity auto's have been catching my eye. I have a few but the 357SIG sure looks to be the stopper while it has the power of a 357mag with the 125grainers its the other extra rounds in the mag that has me thinking about getting one.  I just wish they had one in a smaller "backup" size??  And yes as we get older it time to hang up the hand cannons of yesterday until hunting season of course or if the SHTF!!!!  Lets face it the finger sized holes in the target from the 44mag at 50yds/75yds just look so much more impressive don't they??  My point is you don't need to wait to see the whites of the bad guys eyes to hit'em.  The 44mag has the power to reach out and touch'em for sure!!!!  I don't miss the extra weight though.  I've always liked the 357mag 125gr bullets and the 357SIG has to be a hit.                                                            BigBill

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 01:34:24 PM »
Dawei

I carry the 637 smith airweight with the same load. I have 10 boxes of 125 Federal Nyclads  and it shoots great.
squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!

Offline shooter58

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2005, 02:53:05 PM »
I just turned 62 a couple of weeks ago.  A couple of years back, I started downsizing my carries.  I now have a p32 that gets carried everyday, everywhere.  For social events, I divide my carries between a S&W M36 and a P11 either one carried IWB.  The p32 still goes along for the ride.

Offline Lone spur

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 04:07:17 AM »
I know I'm just a pup here (only 23) so I really can't say much about switching guns with age. However, I found the need to down size from the 1911 for when I'm on the motorcycle, dang thing wouldn't stay put. Now I have a .32 ACP loaded with CORBONs for such duty. I know it's a little light but that just means I won't get sloppy. A friend of mine had a good point just the other day, "I'll fight any man with a half dozen .22lr stingers in his chest." The other advantage of the .32 is that as a chiropractic student I've noticed that having a smaller gun on the back causes fewer troubles with the spine. Thus I feel better and am more alert. I still favor the .45 but some days the .32 makes more sense.
My friends have always been there for me. They encourage me to make new mistakes instead of the same old ones.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 08:14:46 AM »
Lone spur,

"I'll fight any man with a half dozen .22lr stingers in his chest."

I hope your friend never has to put that saying to the test.  I buried two fellow officers/friends that depended on department issued 158 gr. hardball in their .38 sp.(non +P).  A person can go too small.  Lawdog