Author Topic: Wal-Mart vrs. the "Little Guy" and NEF's  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Ridge Runner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Wal-Mart vrs. the "Little Guy" and NEF's
« on: March 23, 2005, 01:03:43 PM »
Was looking at buying a NEF rifle. Wal-Mart cost $187. Thought I would call the mom and pop gun store down the street. I was willing to pay a little more, but he wanted $240 for the same gun.

$50 is a lot of ammo.

Have you guys run into the same problems? I am torn, but $50 is quite a difference.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Wal-Mart vrs. the "Little Guy" an
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 01:16:48 PM »
I know what you mean. I bought a 22-250 from a gun shop and gave abou 30 bucks more that Walmart. However the gun shop had a longer layaway and I was a little hard up from buying to many Handi's lately. I hate to give Walmart any more money than I have to. The have totally sold out to China. I read that they now buy 80 percent of their goods from China. I still go their if I have to but thats about it.
shot placement is everything.

Offline njanear

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • www.geocities.com/njanear13
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 02:18:12 PM »
Ridge Runner:  

I had the same exact experience today.  I wandered into one gun/pawnshop and found that they had a few Handis at $239 apiece.  Among them was the "elusive" .204 but they wouldn't come down on the price (I would have gone $220 in a heartbeat).  I support the small gunshop as best as I can but knowing that I can go to WalMart, buy a Handi for $187 and then spend the saved $52 with another app. $65 on top to add the .204 barrel made me step back from that "deal".  I did visit another shop down the road from them and they quoted a firm $234; tomorrow I will call yet one more and see if I can get a .204 in the $220 range.  Of course, if I do get a .204, then I'll have to figure out how to support the $15/box habit until I can get brass to reload ;)
Njanear 
    12B/21B - Combat Engineer, the way to B           1985 - 1996 GaARNG
Atlanta, GA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 02:28:35 PM »
The .204 barrel will cost close to $130 after shipping and the barrel fitting charge.... :cry: My .204 was $189.99 last October, the same store is selling them now for $199.99....Even WM went up on their prices, the $187 is now $196... :roll:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 02:42:22 PM »
i was given a price of $210 for a .204 handi today from my local gun store. his prices are all over the map. sometimes be beats wallyworld and sometimes he is trying to retire off of one sale ! but we talk and eventually agree on a mutually acceptable price.

the way i look at it, i would rather buy a gun, or anything else for that matter, from an experienced shop owner and pay a few more cents for it than go to the hyper-super-duper-mart and get vacant stares from a guy or girl who's last jobs' vocabulary requirements were "do", "you","want","fries","with", and "that".

for a $220 gun, being $50 over is crazy, some shop owners are less than reputable, but you can find a good shop and stick with it. i have been going to this one shop for as long as i can remember, at least 15 years, i enjoy going there and shucking and jiving with the guys there. my dog 'stink' goes with me, he hangs out and sniffs everything. it's a good time, something that won't happen at wallyworld.

(edit) i just your $15 A BOX !!!! comment !!!!! OUCH !!! now i need to get some brass and dies on order !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 03:21:15 PM »
I've got two local gunshops getting $270.00 for the handi thats why i went to Walmart and its not just the NEF's there ruger compact sells for $463.00 and the local price for that rifle is $550.00 to $580.00 Thats a $90- $ 120 savings! I will say though that there is a shop upstate NY that so far has matched Walmart prices and a couple of locals that are Higher but not much. My walmart handi rifle was the first i ever bought from other then the small gunshop.  I am sure that i will buy a few more at walmart but i still will always buy from the local. Keep this in mind if you develope a relationship with  a small local guy and you have a problem with your rifle two weeks before opening day he will do his best to get you going where walmart cannot. Around hear we no longer have the local hardware store nor the fruit store nor the shoe maker etc. and i dont want to add the local gunshop to that list.

Offline Ed Hill

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 03:47:19 PM »
I'm not sure a young working guy has a choice. I'm at the point in my life where I don't have to wear the shirt missing one sleeve to work around the yard and went into town to buy a Dickies work shirt. The local western/work wear shop wanted $12 more for the same shirt than wally world. Were I a young guy with kids who was required to buy 5 new shirts in beige to start a new job, where would I go?  

I usually try to support the local business, but they have to be somewhere close. In the example above, the $60 in pocket could sure help with the groceries.

E.D.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 07:33:59 PM »
It's extremely hard for some of the smaller shops to compete with Walmart and their volume buying power...and the sad part about it is...a-lot of the manufactures are causing the small stores to stop selling their products as well...they are insisting on them carrying a whole line of guns and or product line...and if they don't sell enough of them...they aren't on the " Gold " list...meaning they won't get in on special runs or over stocks...RCBS...Weatherby...Kimber...just to name a few of the companies doing business this way...and let's face facts here...most of us would rather buy from a small shop...one where they know you and you can talk about anything gun related...but ...$50-$100 savings is just that...and since money doesn't grow on trees...you gotta spend wisely anymore...I'll still get most of my guns from a small shop...and components too...but...just to go buy a Handi and pay $50 more...it's getting real difficult to do that anymore...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline njanear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 01:40:11 AM »
My thoughts on buying from the local gunshop are akin to tipping at a restaurant - if I like the product and the service, I will readily shell out the 15%-20% gratuity as part of the reward for the service.  WalMart is fastfood, where you do the work to get the product and they get nothing extra.  If they are both providing the exact same hamburger, fries and service and then the restaurant wants $20 bucks more, give me the drive-through anytime.
Njanear 
Atlanta, GA

Offline TomD

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 04:31:51 AM »
njanear,

That's an outstanding comparison. I agree.

I was in the same boat when I bought my first bow. Dicks sold it to me cheaper but the shop spent the time to properly fit the bow to me, and the arrows to the bow.

The shop deserverd the 20% tip and my repeat business.

Offline tomaldridge

Commuting to gun stores
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 10:36:07 AM »
I drive past a couple of local stores to get to a one-man shop 30 miles from home.  I do it because he doesn't seem to think I owe him anything.  His competition, according to him, is Gander Mountain and Cabela's.  I tend to agree.  Having more than one shop within commuting distance is one of the few advantages of living in the densely populated Mid-Atlantic region.

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 10:49:43 AM »
tomaldridge

Would that one-man shop be Mulligan's in Ridgeley WV?
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
price
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 11:13:28 AM »
If price is the most important issue then by all means shop Walmart. It is your choice and your money. Just remember its a two way street.

When the boss says he can't afford to pay any more, you won't have a leg to stand on. After all it's his money and his choice to spend the way he see's fit.

Support your local business.

longwalker

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 11:57:57 AM »
I remember discussing this on the old site, and my reply at that time was more knee jerk. I've had some time now to think over the total picture, and the more I think the economics over, the harder it seems to get. On one hand, as a first person consideration, we all like to spend as little as possible. In another light we expect to get service and qualified counter help. Walmart has been accused of many things over the years, low pay rates, closing the Mom and Pop shops, supporting exclusive trade with China, and anti-union bias. They all may be true to some extent. While they may not pay top dollar, nobody that works there is forced to do so, and one heck of a lot of Americans work there. From a strictly capitalistic point of view, if other shops can't keep up, do they deserve to survive? Buying fom China is a sort of pay me now, or pay me later deal. As a nation we've learned to put off payment, we will eventually pay a price in jobs for the low cost of these Chinese products, if we aren't already. As far as unions go, I often feel that I'm paying extortion, not union dues. I for one would really hate to see the local gun shops go by the wayside. I've paid the extra $20 or more to help insure their future, but that is sentimentality, and not evryone can afford it.

Don

Offline njanear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 12:28:50 PM »
Today I went to a actual "gunshop" (not a gun/pawn shop, which is what is mostly within 30 miles of me).  I went in and saw the owner, whom I had met before and thought was a pretty good guy.  We chatted a little and then I asked him what a NEF Handi .204 would run - the response I got after he picked up a catalog was "They were bought by Marlin a few months back - I can't get prices on them" and then he immediately launched into another conversation with a Deputy/buddy that had just popped in (before I could prompt him on where I thought he might be able to look for one).  What in the world??  He was my last hope and when I got that response and service, my heart sank.  Here is an actual gunshop owner that didn't have a clue and didn't seem interested in even seeing if he could help.   At that point, this paying customer decided to exit stage left (I had even spotted a nice Marlin 200 12g that I might have even taken home but decided to leave there) and visited a few more gun/pawnshops (with no luck). When I got home, a quick look at Davidson's, Lipsey's, Sportssouth, etc. shows H&Rs/NEFs abound - maybe he just didn't care to look.  Needless to say, I am not a very happy camper right now.  Oh well...
Njanear 
Atlanta, GA

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 01:55:40 PM »
One VERY serious point that has been overlooked in this thread.  Wal Mart in CA has stopped selling gun, period.  I doubt they ever will again, although when I call as a stockholder they try to give me assurances that it is all the CA DoJ's fault.  I say baloney.  Even if they do sell here again, I'm not sure I'll ever buy from them.

Just think if they put the little guy out of business and then they do what they did here.   Then what?  I am not anti Wal mart but it is a serious point to consider.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Mitch in MI

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 02:18:11 PM »
Quote from: njanear
"They were bought by Marlin a few months back

I think it was 70 or 80 months back - the strengthened 1999 SB-2 frame was the first noticeable change after the Marlin purchase.

Offline fast*eddie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 02:34:39 PM »
I purchased a NEF 25-06 Handirifle from Gander Mt almost a month ago. I had contacted the manager and he sold it to me for the WalMart price which was $5 less than Gander Mts cost. Anyway , it only took two weeks.  :grin:
Semper Fi !

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 03:01:10 PM »
How big is the gun section in the walmart stores in your home town  i live in NY the walmart i shop in is on long island where i work in Islandia ny , this store displays 12 -15 rifles and most of there accessories dont come into the store until september . They just opened a walmart closer to my house in Westbury NY and they dont sell any rifles.

Offline Ridge Runner

• Avid Poster
Walmart
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 03:07:00 PM »
Good points here....

I guess I have to go with Walmart on this one:

1. I know exactly what I want.
2. I do not need any expert or helpful advice on the purchase.
3. It will not take a lot of time.
4. For the price of the gun it makes sense.
5. If I have any problems, NEF customer service is excellent.

If I were to buy a more expensive gun and I needed advice, then I will go to the little guy for the service.

I guess you can say that I am not going to tip the guy for the order through the pick up window.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 03:29:41 PM »
3. It will not take a lot of time.

May be true once you get it ordered, but I've read more than one horror story of the time it took to get the gun ordered by clerks that were not trained well or knowledgeable of the procedure....as in 2 hours or more...not including the background check time!!! Just be patient.... :roll:

And then there are the WM stores that don't notify the customer that their gun was received, that also seems to be a problem....just be patient.... :wink:

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 03:36:07 PM »
As much as I hate to admit it, I shop at Wally World also.  But, when I can find what I want at another store I do.  Here's the deal
Wally World (WalMart) chokes the supplier down so hard that they make very little off each piece, but they do get the volume that keeps their shops going.  I know of one case where they are buying cheap and then have the gaul to demand the supplier include tracking devices in every case at their cost...
For guns, I go to the local shop.  I get great service, honest answers and he will call his supplier to see if they have it in stock.  Prices are a little higher than Walley World but, he also sells pistols, used guns, milsurp and is closer.
Not to mention that he does not have class action suits for discrimination against him, he doesn't promote the hiring of illegals and then blame it on his employees.  Walley World leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and has since I lived in NW Ark and had to service their equipment.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2005, 03:43:07 PM »
I live in a small midwestern town of about 4,500 which is the county seat and once had a thriving Main Street with many small businesses.  Now, most businesses struggle here, and a lot of folks blame the Walmarts - one 15 miles west of here, and the other is 15 miles east of here.  The thing that most of our local business people don't get is - they do not have a clue about customer service.  Walk into our combination Office Supply and Radio Shack and the woman won't even get up off her butt or look at you.  She is delighted to tell you that they don't have what you want.  Quick oil change place puts the wrong oil in your car - apologize? No! Ask the owner in the hardware store for something he should have but is out of stock - sorry, they didn't put it on the truck.  No offer to find an alternative, no checking on when he might get it - basically you're out of luck and you can just come back every week till the cows come home to see if we get that in again.  Then he goes back to whining about how people don't shop in town anymore.  Duh!  I could talk for hours about what people in this town don't know about customer service.  These people deserve to go broke.  One of our better businesses though, is our local gun shop. He has never refused me a reasonable deal, greets me
with a smile, and will put some effort into helping me get what I want.  He might charge a little more than Walmart, but not a whole lot, and he deserves my business.  I really don't have anything against Walmart -  they seem to hire a lot of disadvantaged people, and in general, the help is more helpful than a lot of the boneheads in this town.  That's a sad situation.  A lot of my friends despise Walmart and agree that most of our locals do not understand customer service, but state that they would rather patronize them instead of seeing an empty store front.  The clerks in many of our local stores have no benefits, don't make any more than folks at Walmart, and the shelves in the local hardware store are full of Chinese stuff anyway.  Anyway, good shootin' to you all, and hope you and yours have a blessed Easter. :D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2005, 03:52:56 PM »
One more good side to Walmart. I've never seen a store more willing to hire, and give purpose to the lives of the handicapped. There aren't many businesses willing to take on the chalenge of hiring handicapped workers.
Don

Offline 218Bee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2005, 03:17:44 PM »
I had the option of either buying at ChinaMart or giving my hard earned money to  a friend,  a fellow member of my gun club and  a small business man trying to get by in trying times.  

I guess the obvious answer isn't always obvious.  

Best $30 I "wasted" in a long time.    

Rick
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Offline njanear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2005, 10:15:37 AM »
Well, just wanted to say that my Handi collection grew yesterday by one more.  For some reason, I just had to have one and looking long and hard wasn't turning another one up.  The WalMart around here wouldn't order anything unless it was in their book and Sportssouth showed out of stock anyhow.  I found myself up around that gun/pawnshop again and decided to just look at it once more to see if I really needed such an "oddball" (.204).  Well, I walked in and first saw the guy that tried to "help" me the other day and thought, well at least I'll get to hold the rifle and find something not to like about it ;).  Well, turns out he was on another sale and this young lady came over and asked if she could help.  Well, turned out she actually knew something about firearms and didn't require me to play the Hot/Cold game when picking out the rifle.  After we talked a while and I checked out the rifle, I asked what was the best that they could do on the price.  She went and checked with the manager and she came back with $229.  Well, $9 more than my "max" target but I did get a decent conversation, some laughter and a neat rifle out of it.  Now to take up reloading as that price on ammo is going to hurt :)
Njanear 
Atlanta, GA

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2005, 11:13:42 AM »
Yep, I hear every one of you above.  Sometimes you just don't know what to do.  Go to the discount store or support your locals.  But we live in a very rapidly changing world today.  It is not like the mom and pop days of stores, etc.  You either compete or die.  I think it boils down to the story about the Japanese autos coming into the USA several years ago.  They taught us a lesson on how to build reliable autos.  Otherwise I guess we would still be driving the equivalent of a 1968 Chevy.  For the most part.... everything is better now and cheaper.  Even gasoline when you stop and consider what was paid for it during the 70's in relation to what you earned.  Its really simple, we don't like change..... but in todays global economy.... change is the name of the game.  As bad as I hate it.... I too will have to change.  Its sad but that is what we all have to do.
Luke 11:21

Offline tomaldridge

One man shop
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2005, 09:03:19 AM »
My one man shop is Handloading Systems Unlimited, in Stephens City, VA.  It's just off Rt 81.

Offline el_nutso

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2005, 04:04:34 PM »
I've found myself looking to WM more and more especially after moving 3 hours away from anything that I would call a "local" store.  If I ever find myself in the position to order anything remotely custom, of course I'd give my business to that shop as well as my money.  There's no question about that.  Is there a sentimental value attached?  Of course, they sold me my first .22 when I was 12.

I have a hard time spending money anywhere local to me simply because the service isn't there.  The city itself has an ordinance that bans gun sales within city limits, so that means a road trip to even browse anywhere.  

It's also difficult to be taken seriously at any gun store in this area (metropolitan Pittsburgh, PA) due to being in my mid-late 20's, there always seems to be some hot #%$& yuppie scuzz lusting over the latest and greatest whatever.   Heaven forbid I walk in and ask about a single shot NEF in 45/70, they might have to excuse themselves away from the retread that's trying to impress his girlfriend by swinging a pistol grip mossberg around with his finger on the trigger and the safety off.  

I've been fortunate to find a knowledgeable gentleman that was a WM employee at a local store near me that actually knew the difference between a 8mm JS & 8mm Rem. Magnum.  They usually just look at me funny.  So the choice for me is clear, it's either a 3 hour road trip, or a 30 minute wal-mart run.  For anything I've been doing lately, it's wal-mart for me as much as I would like to give the business to someone else...

btw, hi.  Didn't realize I've been lurking so long, could have sworn I posted before.  :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2005, 04:17:34 PM »
Well, welcome aboard, anyway...ya gotta quit lurking sooner or later!!! :D