Author Topic: Ruger:Swiss vs 777 vs Goex  (Read 1039 times)

Offline DaveP

• Trade Count: (0)
Ruger:Swiss vs 777 vs Goex
« on: March 23, 2005, 02:05:50 PM »
I know this has been discussed before,but here goes agin.Looking to stoke up the Ruger OA to carry for when a doe winds up broadside within 25 yds or so.Still getting good accuracy from max load of Goex 3F with roundball-no filler,no card.Have heard Swiss gives more velocity for same vol,but can't seem to find any hereabouts.How's it compare to Triple 7,which I can get locally,but just can't seem to bring myself to purchase (have never used anything but real black for last 20 years).Will use it IF I have to.I expect accuracy to go away as vel increases,but hope to find a happy medium.Any experiences? Thanks, Dave

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »
www.grafs.com sells Swiss. They offer a 4lb. minimum order instead of 25lbs. like most places. I like Swiss myself...but have been playing with Graf's blackpowder lately. Burns cleaner than Goex and seems to be on par with Swiss accuracy and it's half the price of Swiss.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 08:50:22 PM »
The Graf's powder is mad/imported by Shootzen(Spelling?sorry never could spell for squat) and after years of Goex is all I use in everything but the 45-70 and 38long colt, and I'm switching to Graf's in the 38 long colt.  Swiss is great stuff, and is a lot hotter and more consistant, but at twice the price of everything else except for long range why bother?  Graf's is a lot better than Goex IMHO, bout the same velocity, but seems to foul less and is cheaper.

I was using 16-17 grains of Swiss in the 38 long colt, and it realy kicks with that load.  Graf's does very well but is not quite as powerfull.

For hunting I'd iether use the 777 or Swiss.  I'd probably use Swiss, but then I've got several pounds still.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Fiveshooter

Try the 777
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 06:05:05 PM »
Dave,
         Try the 777 if you plan on hunting with your Old Army. It produces more velocity than any black powder. Be sure and use a hot cap. I use Remingtons and find them hotter (better) than the current CCI caps. You may not even notice a difference in the caps with real black powder but when shooting 777 I get better ignition with the Remingtons. My cronograph tells me that I  also get a bit more velocity with the Remington caps with 777.  If I were going to try and take a deer with a standard Old Army my load would be a Lee 200 grain .45 caliber R.E.A. L. bullet over as much 777 as would fit. I think you should get more than enough accuracy for the distance you are looking for.  I use this combo regularly in my Old Army revolvers and accuracy is on par with round balls out to 50 yards. You may need to change front sights to a taller blade if you shoot conical bullets. I have changed the front blade to the next highest on all of my ajustable site Old Army revolvers. With the taller blade there is ample elevation ajustment for R.B. and conicals.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy