Author Topic: gunbroker.com  (Read 919 times)

Offline TrapperZach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
gunbroker.com
« on: March 24, 2005, 05:18:42 AM »
how do yall feel about www.gunbroker.com?  i saw they had a reloding sectiona and was thinking about buyin my press off of there. they had one for 38 dallars a lee c  style press and manual it says there new would yall buy it?[/quote]

Offline Ed in AL

gunbroker.com
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 05:32:56 AM »
Midway has the same thing for $20.49. See if this is what you saw there.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=480380

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
gunbroker.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 06:10:43 AM »
ya thats it and i was about to get cheated 8 bux
do u have to use a credit card on midway or does it have a mail order thing?the guy even copy and pasted the same description of it on the bidding thing. how do yall feel about this press. will i need to get dyes also?

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
gunbroker.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 06:13:54 AM »
gunbroker is about like a good ebay and is trust worthy . but like all action sites make sure your not paying a new (or more price on a used item .
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
gunbroker.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 06:15:39 AM »
i might go with the lee aniversary kit even thoe i have some of the things it has every thing ill need. i would ge the one with the manul to for 80

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
gunbroker.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 06:22:21 AM »
Zach, midway can have high shipping costs, specially for low priced items, they add $3 if the total is less than $25....I don't order from them until I need several things so the shipping isn't too bad.  You might check www.Midsouthshooterssupply.com or www.grafs.com for the same product, their shipping isn't as high, but neither is their product selection.

Most retailers want you to print your online order and send a check or money order with it by mail to place the order, online orders are for credit card only.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
gunbroker.com
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 06:31:01 AM »
Zach
This press is for minimal duty only. Like neck sizing, decapping and repriming and bullet seating. I have one for portable use on the range to seat bullets for various  loads testing. It's not a stand alone loading press.

I bought mine from Lee direct, factory second for $18.

I do not consider it strong enough for full sizing of standard cases like the 308 or 30-06 types let alone magnums.  The frame is the same as the hand tool but has a bolt plate to fasten to a bench.

Get a press with an O-frame that will do any case work for a life time.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
gunbroker.com
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 06:42:49 AM »
hey fred how do you like that press for resizing small cases like the 223rem??? i've been thinking about buying it for a portable reloading set up to take to the P-dog shoot.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
gunbroker.com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 07:16:00 AM »
Mitch.
223 should not be too bad for this tool, but you need a table to clamp it on, so the hand tool would work better if you have no bench available.

That is what I use when I go gopher shooting, to make 10 rounds takes enough time to cool the barrel down. Loading in the field needs to be well thought out. No scale, powder measure, or Lee dippers, primer pocket cleaning tool.and a Lee Hand priming tool all set up at home inluding the dies and tried out.

Small variations in powder weight are nothing to worry about. With the proper use of the dippers the weights are incredible consistant. Use one type of powder only and keep it cool in the shade.

On my bench tool I permanently attached a piece of 6"x8" 3/4" plywood with HD 1" #12 wood screws. This allows me to mounnt the press with a couple of 10" wood clamps on just about any bench anywhere.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
gunbroker.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 08:54:53 AM »
I had one of the "C" type Lee presses for several years.  I finally broke it full length sizing 45-70 cases.

I bought one of the new Lee Classic Cast presses NIB off of a guy on Ebay.  It saved me around $15.00 on a really nice single stage press.  

Incidentally, that is a press that I highly recommend.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
gunbroker.com
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 08:58:49 AM »
I have to vote for the Lee Classic cast press, also, it full length resizes the big 45-120 brass with ease....and still does the little hornet, too!

I have seen the Lee hand press recommended a lot, too...Be sure to read the reviews at Midway, I think they all gave it 4 or 5 stars...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=410804

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=624416

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
gunbroker.com
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 10:41:15 AM »
Tim
Saw one of those Lee Classic Cast presses they are a good press for the money. and very strong. They retail for $90 US ????

I use a Redding Ultra Mag press. A most powerful beast and two of the Lee's little guys. Lots of times I set up all three of them and hold the hand press in the bench vise.

Yes you can do little cases with a big tool but not the other way around. The Lee collet dies take a lot more power than what they say and they would brake a light tool in no time.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
gunbroker.com
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 10:52:00 AM »
I have used that Hand Press with good results. When I once lived in a shoe box size apartment, I did all of my reloading with it. A friend traded me out of it and I think I may have to get another one.
shot placement is everything.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
gunbroker.com
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 10:55:08 AM »
Fred, I paid $60 for mine, that's a regular price at Cabelas. Shipping to Canada from Cabelas is $9.95 for this press....not bad, shipping for mine was $7.95..

Lee Cast press

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/customerservice/shipping-info.jhtml?rid=5000124022604

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
gunbroker.com
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 02:05:17 AM »
hey yall what do yall think about the aniversary package if i get it ill go ahead and buy a set of dies with it to but just wonderin how yall feel about it. ive got the order form all field out it has the kit the dyes and a box of bullets plus shipping (only like 9.50) equls 117.00 how yall feel about this. even thoe i allready have some of the things in the kit i still get all the rest. ill still need some powder and primers but that will be next.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
gunbroker.com
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 03:15:44 AM »
http://www.factorysales.com/

The above link has good prices on Lee Products...

Zach,
Everyone else will disagree with me, but another thing you might want to consider is a Lee Loader.  It is really cheap, makes great loads, and you get to use a hammer!  Not wanting to invest a ton of money when I got into reloading, I bought the Lee Loader for .45-70 and .280 Rem.  I think it is a perfect tool if you like to go out and shoot a couple of dozen rounds at the range.  Be sure to check out that above link...you can get all the Lee presses in kit form there.

Good Luck,

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
gunbroker.com
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 03:39:31 AM »
Zach,

I started with the anniversary kit about 8 years ago, and liked it alot.  I just moved up to a Dillon 550, but keep the Lee press mounted to my bench because i use it for 30-06, 300 winmag and 270.  If I only want to load a box or 2, the Lee press is the one I use.

Most of the time, at least one of the online stores will have the anniversary kit on sale for $69.

If you're not a benchrest shooter, like most of these fellows are, the Lee will do everything you ask it to...and very cheaply.

If you need dies, keep an eye on E-bay.  I've seen SEVERAL really good deals on RCBS and Hornady sets (under $20) over the past few weeks.  I would have bought them....if I didn't already have those calibers.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
gunbroker.com
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 06:08:15 AM »
The Lee Loader is an excellent way to start off, I too started with it, but wanted/needed to load for the 45-120, so I got the cast press. If you decide to go with a Lee Loader, Cabelas has about the best price on it, even better than direct from Lee at $13, Lee's factory price is $15. Since you already have a scale, I wouldn't go with the anniversary kit if you decide not to go with the Lee Loader, I'd buy the individual components that you need like dies sets, a powder trickler, the lee case trimmer is inexpensive, and probably one of the easier to use. One of the nice things about the Anniversary kit is it comes with Lee's Modern Reloading manual which is chock full of good info and a slug of load data, so don't close that door until you weigh your options.

Here's a primer on the Lee Loader...

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/51

Lee Loader

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
gunbroker.com
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 08:01:36 AM »
thanks yall im wayin my options now might go with lee loader. im not a bench rest shoter dont even have any gun clubs around here i can afford to go to i haft to go to the power lines and shoot. if i go with the lee loader that will leave me with money to get powder primers and bullets.