Author Topic: .22 Hornet chambering  (Read 475 times)

Offline tomaldridge

• Trade Count: (0)
.22 Hornet chambering
« on: March 25, 2005, 05:09:14 AM »
I see a lot of people buying this cartridge in the Handi Rifle.  I have a .223, but it's a big old Savage 112.  I'm thinking of a .22 Hornet in a Handi for turkey and coyote, but have never owned a Hornet before.  I would expect the Hornet to do well in a Handi Rifle.  Does this cartridge reload well?  How is it for accuracy?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
.22 Hornet chambering
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 06:34:01 AM »
Tom, I just bought a hornet barrel from Raynor, first time I ever even layed eyes on a hornet cartridge...it shoots great!!! The link below is my range report...I am a new handloader, I wrinkled 3 cases at the shoulder before I had my die set up properly, I was told the hornet brass is fragile, it is...other than that, my very first load was a success and it's a kick to shoot when they're that accurate. It kinda makes me think of a 17hmr on steroids!

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=58971
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.22 Hornet chambering
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 08:07:28 AM »
hi tom -

i have a hornet and it's great. i shoot mainly cast bullets through it, but also load jacketed bullets too.

with my handi, i need to keep the cases trimmed otherwise i get a lot of split necks. this may be just my gun.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
.22 Hornet chambering
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 04:37:03 PM »
I normally use a Lee collet neck sizing die, except on new brass.  New brass gets a full length (FL) sizing, then it's nothing but neck sizing from there on.   I also turn my brass 1/4 turn and use the collet on it a second time before I consider it to be sized.

With neck sizing, you don't have to worry so much about wrinkling a shoulder and the brass doesn't "grow" from working it so much like when it's FL sized.  That means trimming isn't needed and splits will be kept to a minimum.

I have lost track of how many RCBS dies I have, but I only buy Lee Deluxe or carbide dies now (if they are available in the caliber I need) and some of those duplicate dies I already have in RCBS.

My Handi Hornet is the first one I grab when needed here on the farm!