Author Topic: How is the 243 Handi for Deer Hunting  (Read 492 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
How is the 243 Handi for Deer Hunting
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:11:25 PM »
My first Handi Rifle is on the way.  It's a 243/20ga combo.  How will the 243 work for deer hunting.  This is my first rifle of any kind, larger than a 22.  Any suggestions for what loads to buy, no, I don't do any reloading, YET!
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 01:43:18 PM »
Here are a couple previous threads on the .243 factory loads...I got almost 150 hits searching for .243 and deer in this forum using the search feature near the top of the page, be sure to click the all words button and select the NEF/H&R forum from the list.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=58265&highlight=243+deer

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=57466&highlight=243+deer
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 01:51:03 PM »
It should do just fine. Some folks say the 100 grainers keyhole, and some say they shoot fairly accurate. I shoot 75 grainers in mine, and it groups awesome. That should be a decent deer load. I also hear a lot about Remington core lokt bullets or something like that. Each rifle is different though, and you'll just have to see what yours likes. Congrats on your first center fire, and you should enjoy your new Handi. Look out though, the Suergeon General has determined that these firearms are addictive, and may cause Handi-holicness, for which there is no cure. :D
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 01:55:25 PM »
The 243 is an excellent deer caliber. I would suggest you keep it very simple since this is your first centerfire rifle. Don't think too much about what high-tech bullet to use and stuff like that. Put a nice scope on the gun. Then try some Remington core-loct 100 gr.  If these group pretty well in your gun they are all the bullet you really need.  Yes I am biased. This combo works very well for me. I would not hesitate to take a 243 to hunt any deer.  Now a moose or elk is another matter :grin:

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Deer with a 243
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 02:04:49 PM »
Thanks guys.  It sounds like good advice.  
quick,  I will work on that search thing....I must not use it right 'cause I always have problems with the search.  I will keep trying till I get it figured out.

I especially like the "Keep It Simple" part.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
search
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 02:41:17 PM »
Hey quick, I got it to work for me this time.  You were right, lots of hits and good info too.  Thanks
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 03:36:16 PM »
:agree: :D
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain