Author Topic: Need a..........  (Read 738 times)

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Need a..........
« on: March 28, 2005, 01:38:07 PM »
I have a new project goin and need some supplies but i dont now where to find them.

First off i'll tell u my idea.....
I want a handi chambered in 7-30 waters but it doesn't look like the factory will ever produce one, so i'm gonna have to have it custom made. Now there is 2 routes i can take to get one. I think i figured out the cheapest way to do it but i would like y'alls input.

1. I can buy a nef barrel and have it rechambered and rebored for the 7-30 waters catridge. This is gonna cost quite a bit of cash considering that NEF doesn't make a suitable 7mm barrel for the cartridge. The best thing in can figure is to buy a 22 hornet barrel and have the work done.

OR

2. I can find a barrel lug from an NEF barrel and have it welded to a 7mm barrel blank. This seems to be the cheaper route. I can choose the rate of  twist in the barrel, the length of the barrel, and also the finish. This is probably the best choice.

Here's the problem i have no idea where i can find a lug for the barrel. Does anyone know of someone that has one they would be willing to part with? As for the barrel blank itself all suggestions are welcome. What rate of twist would i need for this cartridge? All info or opinions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Brokenrack

Need a..........
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 02:01:45 PM »
I forget the name of the company but there is one that advertises in some of the gun mags that makes inserts that are the size and shape of one round like .280Rem but you put a smaller round in it like a 7-30waters.  several of those would be the easiest solution.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Need a..........
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 03:15:57 PM »
Don't know for sure about the chamber dimensions, but a custom 7-30 waters chamber adapter for a 7mm-08 might work...

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Need a..........
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 03:16:52 PM »
hey drew just keep your eye out for a cheap shotgun barrel. i've been thinking about the same thing but i just have to many other projects going on( two mausers and a savage, i got my hands full)
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Need a..........
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 03:20:31 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Don't know for sure about the chamber dimensions, but a custom 7-30 waters chamber adapter for a 7mm-08 might work...

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

Nope, won't work, the 7mm-08 chamber is too short.... :cry:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
ii
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 03:26:12 PM »
i have a barrel lug 4 sale 4 20. bucks plus shipping......or i got a blank lug that needs all the cuts put in it 4 15 bucks plus shipping.....the blank is slightly taller 4 15/16 oct barrels....JB

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Need a..........
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 05:55:30 PM »
Heck, by the time you buy a barrel, lug and welding the lug make a new fore arm stud and weld that or drill and tap you can shoot a 7mm-08 and load it down if you want less power.

To rebore a 223 would be the way I would go, at that you have a choice of a 24" or 22" barrel.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Need a..........
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 09:44:26 AM »
Fred i could do that but i dont want to, it defeats the pupose of having a 7-30 waters. You have your custom chambering the 257 roberts, well they already produce the 25-06 why did you want the 257 roberts? Because it would be something no one else had and would be a great shooter. Well its the same case for me. I just want the 7-30 waters.  I think i will just buy a lug and barrel seperate. Would anyone recommend a barrel blank manufacturer that would be good for this project? I also need to find the forearm lug, do you think NEF would sell me one of those? What rate of twist and length of barrel would be good for this catridge? I know this is alot of questions but i need answers and i thought this place would be the fastest place i could get them.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Need a..........
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 11:08:05 AM »
drew NEF is not going to seel you either. you would be better off watching the gun shows for a cheap shotgun . and just take the forearm lug and barrel lug from it . you could get it for next to nothing buy the gun maybe $60 tops sell the stock here the barrel here and send the receiver to me for being such a good friend :grin: . you would probably come out making money and everyone would be happy
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Need a..........
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 11:10:29 AM »
Varminter.
Ok, Ok my reason for the 257R was because the 25-06 is not very efficient and over-powdered. I wanted something to duplicate my 25 Hunter and the 257R will do that. I have reamers for the 25Hunter but case forming is a lot of work and this cartridge operates at psi that Handi's don't like. With the greater powder capacity of the 257R I get nearly identical exterior ballistics.

The 257R is a lot more suitable for the Handi than the 25-06, unless you throttle down the 25-06 it will frustrate. The 257R will produce 3100ft/sec @ 50Kpsi with a 100gr bullet.

Now to the 7mm Waters a very nice cartridge and like the 257R a standard
loading. I suggest a Douglas standard chrome moly barrel with a 1-10 twist or if you get get it a 1-11" twist. Max bullet weight 140 gr.

I doubt you can duplicate the fusion weld for the barrel stud. Welding with any other method will ruin the barrels accuracy. There is no room on a factory stud for screws.  I made a stud on the lath and fasten the stud with two 10x32 screws 5 threads and J-B Weld.

My 257R with a 24" octagon barrel is so well balanced that I can't even think of a better length. My 25Hunter bolt guns have 23 and 24" barrels.
Many of the high grade Eurpean SS break open rifle have 24" barrels because of the fine balance they provide. I am talking about sporter barrels not bull barrels.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Need a..........
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 10:42:22 AM »
I like that octagon barrel Fred thats real nice, where did u find that. I did a search on google and found one company called Adams &Bennett has anyone heard anything about the quality of their barrels? I was looking at the picture they have posted to show you the contours it looks like each barrel is made for bolt action guns.  And Fred how much would you charge me to turn out another one of those forearm lugs as i dont have access to the equipment to do so, if i did i wouldn't trouble you.

i like the looks of the ultra comp. barrels would there be much sense in putting one on the barrel blank i will be getting. Like have a 23 inch barrel with a 1 inch screw-on comp. on it? What is the difference in the chrome moly and the stainless steel barrels? I know this may seem aggravating but i would like to get alot of info on the products before i buy anything.

Once again, thanks.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Need a..........
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 12:04:14 PM »
Varminter you have a PM
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.