Author Topic: Just tried a Glock....gotta admit I'm impressed  (Read 1205 times)

Offline TimWieneke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://pub53.ezboard.com/bprimalfires
Just tried a Glock....gotta admit I'm impressed
« on: March 29, 2005, 08:19:12 AM »
I know, I'm about 10 years behind but I've never shot a Glock until yesterday (tried a Glock 17).  I'll admit I've avoided it because I love steel, wood grips and lots of "jazz" on a gun.  My main love will always be revolvers and in semi autos I've been always been shooting berettas, rugers and 1911s.  The closest I ever came to a Glock was the Ruger P95 (but it had a stainless slide and a little "jazz" in the external hammer and decock).  I won't give them up for fun shooting but I have to admit - I think I'm being drug kicking and screaming into glockdom.  

It's just so simple.  It simply fits my hand, I pull the trigger and it puts the bullet where I want it to go (and gives me 17 chances to put that bullet there....), the sights simply are just right, if I wore it under clothes (where legal) there's nothing on it to snag.  It's ugly as all get out and would look like grap in an exotic skin holster (while my performance center 627 looks beautiful in one...lol) but...it just makes sense.  Ah crap....I feel like John Kerry after the elections in the middle east.  Maybe the glock guys were right.  :)

Tim

Offline Buford

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Glocks?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 09:54:50 AM »
Tim, I we behind on things, too.  I hate Glocks and I own three of them - you're right, they fit the hand and hit where you point them.  I compare them to a good hammer, they do what they are designed for - but I just can't get any affection going for them.  No one ever calls a friend bragging of his new hammer and asking folks to come over and look at it.  OK, I like them a bit, but I like the wood and steel thing, too.

Offline TimWieneke

• Avid Poster
    • http://pub53.ezboard.com/bprimalfires
glock
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 02:01:05 PM »
That's exactly it Buford - they're a tool.  An unattractive but good tool.  Just shooting it once I noticed the shooting process was simplified and really just brought down to basics.  I've only had to deal with one home invasion thus far and the way it played out gave me time to get "all that jazz" ready on my gun.  It makes sense to have something that by it's nature is ready to go - well maybe just one for now.

Tim

Offline mudriver

Just tried a Glock....gotta admit I'm impre
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 03:38:09 PM »
I know lots of people who love Glocks, I still hate them.  I'm a Sig man.  I don't like the glock trigger or the balance of the gun.  I've never had someone with a glock keep up with me on the range and I don't expect I will.

Offline stolivar

• Avid Poster
try the xd
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 03:47:28 PM »
You ought to try the springfield xd9 then. very simple, shoots where you point, and very well made.

steve

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 10:26:09 AM »
The simple beauty of the Glock is, they do the job, reliably.  And that is what counts in the end.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 02:23:38 PM »
Quote from: Lawdog
The simple beauty of the Glock is, they do the job, reliably.  And that is what counts in the end.  Lawdog
 :D
YUP ! :grin:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 07:46:17 AM »
If I were given the option of carrying one on duty I'd have to think seriously about it, but I'd never own one otherwise.  I've shot a few, and yes, they are reliable and accurate.  But no one will ever call a tupperware gun a thing of beauty!  Gimme a nice revolver or a classic auto like a 1911 or a Hi-Power, even a SIG or a CZ, and I'll be happy.  But don't ever try to tell me the plastic guns are attractive!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 11:35:04 AM »
Mudriver wrote:

I know lots of people who love Glocks, I still hate them. I'm a Sig man. I don't like the glock trigger or the balance of the gun. I've never had someone with a glock keep up with me on the range and I don't expect I will.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't get to the range much do we? I'll never understand how anyone could think one gun is best for all things and all people. Open up your mind man, there is more than one tool for the job. By the way, I like Sigs too-------and Glocks, 1911s, CZs, Smiths, Rugers and others that I have forgotten at the moment.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 10:11:47 PM »
Quote from: Savage
Mudriver wrote:

I know lots of people who love Glocks, I still hate them. I'm a Sig man. I don't like the glock trigger or the balance of the gun. I've never had someone with a glock keep up with me on the range and I don't expect I will.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't get to the range much do we? I'll never understand how anyone could think one gun is best for all things and all people. Open up your mind man, there is more than one tool for the job. By the way, I like Sigs too-------and Glocks, 1911s, CZs, Smiths, Rugers and others that I have forgotten at the moment.
Savage

to each their own, but I'm a Sig man as well. I dont like how Glocks feel in my hand and compared to my Sig, they feel like a toy. But if one shoots straight with it and feels confident, thats all that matters :)

actually, the only other pistols I like are H&K's. Ive come to dislike many a pistol over the years. The only ones I have never lost faith in are Sigs, thats my "tool" of choice.

I have a cousin who swears by his Glock, and when he shot mine, he hated how it felt. Just shows how we all differ.

Offline RupertBear

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 10:57:28 PM »
I hate glocks and if I wasn't forced to use one for work I would never shoot one again.

I have a Sig P239 and I like it, but I can't wait to sell it!

Probably end up with either a ruger vaquero or a small para ordnance.
Who Dares Wins

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 01:12:42 AM »
i shot the glocks a few different times the only thing i dont care for is a gun that dosent have a safty/decocker lever on it thats one of the many reasions i went with the h&k usp 40

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 08:25:20 AM »
I carry a Glock 21 as a duty weapon with my BDUs and nylon. I have two other qualified duty weapons, one a Kimber Custom Target, the other a Witness 10mm in wonder finish. I'm wearing leather tonight, so the Witness will be the primary. I feel adequately armed with any one of the three, as well as numerous other handguns I might have on my person off duty. They all shoot well for me, and have not given any problems transitioning from one to the other. I own three Glocks and have to say they work quite well in their intended applications. They even give me a warm fuzzy feeling out there in the dark. As far a estetics go--------they leave me cold, as other polymer pistols do. Still, they have earned their place in my safe.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline retrieverhunter

Glock
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 06:21:44 PM »
Welcome to the club!!!  I was a diehard Sig fan until I found a "deal" on a Glock 23.  I bought it to resell, but once I shot it, I have kept it close to hand ever since.  I also have a M17 that I am truly deadly with.  I have "tricked" my two with new springs, competition triggers, titanium firing pins/plungers, and a mercury filled guide rod.  Glocks have made me a better pistol shooter.
Jeff S.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 09:40:34 AM »
I shot a Glock 23 a couple weeks ago at the range...A friend of mine is a local LOE and it was his duty weapon...I like it.  I want to shoot an XD-40 to compare...Either one of those weapons will be in my gun safe in the near future.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline K.K.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2005, 12:02:02 PM »
No, the Glock will never win any beauty contests, but beauty, as they say is in the eye of the beholder.  Teh Glock is near rust-proof, tough, and has unsurpassed reliability.  They are as accurate as most semi autos out ot the box.  I own many handguns, but the Glock is what I trust my life,and the lives of my family to.  I don't think that you can go wrong with any of them.

Offline Buffalo_Hunter

Glocks Make the World go round
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 10:29:18 PM »
A Glock may not be a thing of beauty like a custom 45 or P35 High power,but mine goes bang every time,with no custom work required and it hits where I aim it. I can handle it with comfort and it makes me feel better when it's near.I have no reservations about using it to defend myself or my family.Glocks are tough,reliable,accurate and cost effective,and to me that's a thing of beauty and peace of mind.
Welcome to the 21st Century,where Glocks dominate the world Police market and a large percentage of civilian sales as well,for good reason,they work every time,under all conditions,and what more matters?