Author Topic: Hey guys whats the deal? a barrel question  (Read 409 times)

Offline nofun1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hey guys whats the deal? a barrel question
« on: March 30, 2005, 06:33:30 AM »
I noticed in the forsale forum that a lot of barrels are being sold and traded. Now I always heard that Handis have to be head spaced at the factory and this is written in stone. If people have to take it to a gunsmith it wouldnt be worth getting used barrels. whats the straight scoop on this.
Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 06:51:43 AM »
First of all, welcome aboard! :D  Lots of us have bought/traded used barrels, more often than not, they fit fine, some will require some minor gunsmithing to get them to fit. H&R's policy is they will only sell new barrels that they fit to a customer's frame, they won't fit used barrels at all and you can't buy an unfitted barrel from them. H&R barrels aren't one size fits all, so that's why they may need to be "adjusted" to a particular frame.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 07:27:05 AM »
H&R/NEF's policy pertaining to barrel fitting is most likely a C.Y.A. policy dictated by their legal department.  Used barrels can be fitted to your frame provided you know what you're doing and use some common sense. ie; Don't fit hi-pressure caliber rifle barrels to shotgun receivers and learn how to properly check and correct head space.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 07:49:05 AM »
Welcome Aboard :D

Check the FAQ's ...you'll find a wealth of information on our Handi's...lots of "How To's" there...fitting barrels isn't for everyone.. but with the help of the fine folks that you'll become aquainted with here...it isn't all that difficult to do...you will void any warrenty NEF gives if you modify your rifle. just be aware of that....but remember...it's your rifle...and once your bittin by the the Handi bug...there is no known cure for it.....you can only slate it's thirst by aquiring more Handi's....in the various calibers...and that's a-lot easier and cheaper  to do than buying whole rifles...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...