Author Topic: Why cant I use reloaded ammo in my 243  (Read 577 times)

Offline nofun1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Why cant I use reloaded ammo in my 243
« on: March 30, 2005, 02:13:32 PM »
I am still having fits with my 243 I tried a bunch of various reloads and had problems with them, about one out of 6-7 wont go in far enough and when I fire the barrel jumps open. This doesnt happen with factory ammo. Here's what i do I use Winchester new unfired brass, I full length size it. I trim it, I load it lighter than factory. I get about the same amount of problems when I use it the second time. I do the same procedure the second time. and what makes this even more strange is I have never had a cartridge stick after firing, they all eject beautifully. My cases are not to long infact they are a couple 000's shorter than factory(Rem Corelokt 80GR) what am I missing?
My OAL is not near max.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 02:47:03 PM »
Just throwing out a guess here, but are you bumping your shoulders back far enough?  You might have it under max case length but if your shoulders are out there too far you may be running out of chamber.

About your action opening on firing, make sure you clean the latch mechanism spotless and then lightly lubricate it.  That usually solves that problem from what others have said.  There's sometimes some gunk in there from the factory that gums it up a little.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline nofun1

• Avid Poster
new info
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 03:21:53 PM »
I took the factory ammo's brass that I just shot and put it in the chamber one ata time and I  had about the same instance of stickers as I did with reloads two were hard to push in all the way and Im sure would have caused the barrel to open on firing and one stuck and I had to push it out with a cleaning rod. I must be doiung something wrong in resizing ? any thoughts?

Offline Broken Scope

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 04:04:21 PM »
Listen to HAYWIRE ,keep setting the shoulder back a little at a time until the action will close normally. My 25-06 had similar problems. Just turn down about a 1/8th turn at a time.

Offline Trapper-Jack

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 04:41:16 PM »
I had the same problem with my 243 handi.  It would not close up tight and the latch wouldn't always fully catch.  I ended up doing what Haywire said.  I set the sizing die a little deeper into my press and bumped the shoulders back a little.  Now the head of the case comes just flush with the breach end of the barrel when the cartridge is chambered, and not a problem.
Thanks,
Trapper Jack

Offline nofun1

• Avid Poster
Thanks Haywire I think you were right on the money
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 05:23:19 PM »
Thanks alot Haywire I think your tip was right I tested some of the brass after resizing and it seems to lockup alot better, it still takes a little more of a concentrated barrel close than my others but it seems to lockup positively now. Thanks a bunch I really love this site I get answers so much quicker than on any other shooting site. I'll bet this is the greatest collection of handi Rifle knowledge on the net.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 10:49:52 PM »
Glad my guess panned out.  Another thing that sometimes helps with the opening on firing is to make sure you close the action with some authority, don't baby it.

good luck,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...