Author Topic: New Winchester 243 Brass  (Read 401 times)

Offline rmtaylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New Winchester 243 Brass
« on: April 01, 2005, 12:39:16 PM »
Do you resize brand new brass??

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline nofun1

• Avid Poster
New Winchester 243 Brass
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 01:00:03 PM »
I resize new brass mainly because the neck is not always perfectly round and I'm alittle compulsive I also trim new brass for the same reason. In a pinch I have used new brass with no prep and it worked OK.
Goo luck

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
New Brass
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 02:01:39 PM »
I do! It is usely Bluke brass mouths can get knocked out of
round. most of the time not really needed! Just my 2 cents
 Marv

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
sizing brand new brass
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 03:20:43 PM »
It's a good idea to run the new cases over the expander ball to round the mouths out.  Also a good idea to trim them all to the trim-to length.  Cartridge cases often have slight variations in them, a result of the drawing process, these imperfections result in, among other things, case mouths being out-of square.  Trimming produces square mouths and uniform case length.
As long as you're putting them through the press to run them over the expander ball, you might as well full length size them too.  You also want to make sure your sized, prepped cases will chamber correctly.  Do this by making a small number of dummy rounds and chambering them in the rifle they're to be fired in.  

Yeah, you might could get away with skipping a step but as I've found out, usually the hard way, it's far better to use the correct procedure all the time, especialy with a batch of new cases.

Do you own a good bullet puller?  'Cause if you don't, and you make a bunch of ammo that ain't right, you'll be needing one.  And, trust me, they are, at best, a PITA to use.

Offline bigjeepman

New Winchester 243 Brass
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 03:43:57 PM »
I full length resize, tumble (to remove One Shot lubricant), deburr flash hole, and trim to 2.035" new .243 brass. Like others before me, I forgot to this one time with about 20 of my best reloads. They did not group at all at the range and it wasn't until I got home to check my records did I figure out what had happened.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Greysky

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
New Winchester 243 Brass
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 12:59:13 PM »
No, I don't resize new brass. If the mouths aren't true, I use a punch to straighten them. Since I don't crimp cases, I have found that any slight variation in case length has a negligible effect on downrange consistency.

However, I do uniform flash holes, and chamfer case mouths on new brass. I also sort new brass by weight into lots.
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.