Author Topic: BSA scopes any thouhghts???  (Read 635 times)

Offline nofun1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
BSA scopes any thouhghts???
« on: April 01, 2005, 01:14:36 PM »
I have 4 BSA scopes on small caliber stuff 17's and 204, and 223. I have never been hard on them the optics seem clear and bright They come in high magnifications for great prices. I have 6x18x40 and 6x24x50 for about $100.00. I'm not doing a commercial here, my question is: why does everyone hate them? I have never heard a positve post about them. What do you guys think?

Offline Buford

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
I, too, know.........
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 01:20:41 PM »
I, too, know they are not the top of the line scopes - however, I have several of them and find them acceptable.  I can't honestly say that I have had problems with any of them.  I think they are a pretty good value for the money invested.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 01:28:31 PM »
i have a 8-32 BSA with target turrets and a sun shade with screw on caps.this is the new style that i got right from BSA warranty dept.i would sell it to you for $60.00 shipped to your door.

if you want it send me a PM.im going down to Kentucky tonight and i wont be home until Monday night.the scope is yours if you want it and can wait till then

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 01:57:17 PM »
The older Japan built BSA scopes are much like the older Tascos, much loved, particularly the Platinums that have been used in BR competition. But....the newer BSA's have a checkered reputation, some love em, some hate em, just depends on the luck of the draw....BSA has wonderful customer service....and they need it...lots of returned scopes reported at RFC....some shooters don't even consider them good door stops with the their experience with them, others are repeat customers....I have had 2 BSA scopes experiences, the first was on a red dot that fogged up on me the first time I used it in damp weather, but for the $35 I paid for it, not a big deal. The next is a 3-12x42 airgun scope that's mounted on a Crosman 377, so far it's been an excellent scope for it's intended use, killing starlings and english sparrows in the back yard, along with a couple feral cats and a possum or 2....The scope is a bit critical on eye relief on 10x-12x, but it has worked well for about 300+ shots so far....Other than a few models that I have seen recommended a lot, I'd shy away from them in general, specially those low priced models under ~$75, there are much better optics out there for not much more money that have an excellent reputation.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 04:46:37 PM »
I mounted a Contender 4x16 on the .243 I got from Brent, and so far so good. It came with a sun shade, and screw on lens covers. I like it quit a bit.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 05:21:15 PM »
I would not trust my $5000 to $10,000 hunt on a $100.00 scope. I want a scope that is proven in the field and will hold up to harsh treatment.

I would not buy one for a .22. Just my personal preference.

I have seen first hand how cheap the BSA scopes are. I consider them is the same class as a bic lighter.  :D

Seriously, if that is what you can afford and it works for you fine. You just won't get people to indorse them when there are a lot better scopes out there.  :-)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 02:58:01 AM »
You really get what you pay for with low priced scopes.  It is a gamble...You can get lucky and have no problems at all or you can have a sour experience like so many around here have.  I only have one BSA product and it is a red dot mounted on my Super Blackhawk Hunter...I have about 300 rounds through it without a hiccup.  If that changes though I have a contingency plan.  So I guess that so far my experience with BSA has been positive...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 07:55:44 AM »
I have had one BSA scope.  The crosshairs broke on the 4th shot on an Encore Muzzleloader shooting 100grs. of Pyrodex.  That is enough for me not to buy anymore.  It was the deerhunter series.