Author Topic: Fixed 6 power scopes  (Read 2455 times)

Offline coyotero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Fixed 6 power scopes
« on: April 03, 2005, 11:10:42 AM »
I want to replace all my scopes on my hunting  big game rifles.I want to go "back" to fixed power scopes.I usually cranked a variable up to the highest setting and left it there anyway.I'm looking at Leupold FX II 6X36.Burris Fullfiels II 6X40,Nikon Monarch 6X42 and Weaver Target 6X40.Can anyone give me there experience with any of these scopes,how they would compare.Thanks
I love the smell of coyote gland lure early in the morning.It smells like victory!!

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 02:02:40 PM »
Of the 4, I personally think that the Nikon Monarch is the best of the bunch.  Their glass is outstanding and it is tough to be them for the price.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 03:55:42 PM »
I would have to choose the Leupold.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 06:39:23 PM »
I used the Leupold Compact 6X with AO and the Leupold 6x42 both on my TCs back when I was shooting NRA HP and SBHP. Worked fine. I could recommend either. For big game if I were going with a fixed 6X (which I don't believe I ever would) I'd go with the 6x42 Leupold.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline coyotero

• A Real Regular
Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 07:40:27 PM »
Greybeard  Just curious why not a fixed 6 power?
I love the smell of coyote gland lure early in the morning.It smells like victory!!

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 04:38:09 AM »
Because I don't hunt the wide open spaces of the west. I've fired perhaps one or two shots on game in my entire 50 year or so hunting career at that much magnification. I'd rather have a wider FOV than more magnification. If I were going with a fixed power it would likely be a 4X or even a 2.5X or 3X if available.

But variables are pretty much as tough and dependable these days as fixed power scopes and are made in far more variety and at generally higher quality levels. With them you can have the higher power for range work and the lower power for wider FOV for hunting.

I use mostly variables in the 1.5-6, 2-7 or at most 3-9 range and leave them on the lowest power when hunting.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline coyotero

• A Real Regular
Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 06:23:25 AM »
Greybeard thanks for the reply.I even use 6X while hunting whitetails on the brushy river bottom.I guess it's all what your use to.Most of my hunting is spot and stalk.The older I get the sneakier I seem to get,more patience too.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 10:12:22 AM »
coyotero, I would have to second what Graybeard said. Variables are the way to go.

I only have 3 fixed power Leupold scopes. A 4X28 on my 22 rifle and a M8 8X42 AO on my 22-250 for long range varment hunting. I have an M8 6X42 Leupold in my gun safe sitting there. All my big game rifles wear variables, be it 1.5X5X20mm to 3.5X10X50. And of course they are Leupolds.  :D  :-D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 04:54:18 PM »
coyotero;

I'll have to agree with you on using fixed power scopes. I really like a straight 6X on a rifle. I used one on a Remington Model 7FS in 7mm-08 for over 10years. It never let me down and was even fine on shots at close quarters. As a matter of fact it was a Leupold 6XAO Compact. I believe Graybeard said he used one at one time in shooting matches.
And I'm east of the Mississippi.
I no longer have that scope, but I've got a Leupold 6X36 on my H&R 44 mag. rifle. And I also have a Leupold 6X42AO Tactical on my T/C Classic Benchmark 22LR. A 4X33 sits on my Ruger Compact Model 77MKII. So, as you can see I really like fixed powers.

Dennis  :D

Offline kenjs1

Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 10:40:46 AM »
I have four 6x scopes including the Leupold and the Burris.  I got the Burris in a 3p#4 and everyone I have shown it to prefers it over the
Leupold.  Can't go wrong with any that you mentioned.  My choices hinged a lot on reticle optoins.  It is the main reason I yanked my 6x38 Weaver K series - which in all honesty is probably the best scope value going.  Just preferred thicker posts.  I am currently using the Burris FF2 6x40, a Leupold M8 6x42, and a Meopta Artemis 2000.  The Artemis is clearly the best I have.   The others are pretty close to each other and  I wouldn't part with any of them.

Offline williek

fixed power scopes
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 01:25:04 PM »
Back in 1966 I conducted an experiment using a 3x9 scope on a .308 rifle.  Sand bags, solid bench calm day.
I shot three 1" groups at 9 power and then just for the fun of it, shot three groups at 3 power.  The lower power groups were 1 1/4".  Since that time I have carried only 1.5 to 4.5 scopes on my woods rifles.  3x9 or 4x12 on my plains rifles, although I still carry a fixed 6 on my .264 mag antelope gun.
Try the 3x9 test.  You may be amazed at how little difference the extra power makes.
williek

Offline Zachary

Re: Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 04:46:43 PM »
Quote from: coyotero
I want to replace all my scopes on my hunting  big game rifles.I want to go "back" to fixed power scopes.I usually cranked a variable up to the highest setting and left it there anyway.I'm looking at Leupold FX II 6X36.Burris Fullfiels II 6X40,Nikon Monarch 6X42 and Weaver Target 6X40.Can anyone give me there experience with any of these scopes,how they would compare.Thanks

I don't have any experience with the new FX II,  so I really can't make a hands-on comment, but I'm sure that they are good scopes.  However, I do own several Nikon Monarchs, and they are optically superior to the VXIIs and the Vari-X IIIs.  I don't know about the new VX-IIIs because they are supposedly much better optically speaking.

Out of the 4 that you mentioned, I agree with Jon that the Nikon Monarch is the best of the bunch, and also the best value too.

Zachary

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 04:25:25 AM »
I second what Zachary said.  There are "equal to" or "better than" scopes for the money than Leupold.  I have a few of them.

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 10:41:48 AM »
When I started HBR matchs the only power you could use was 6x and that still holds true today goes from 100 to 300yds.  The old weaver t-6 was about one of the best and still is and the going price for one is around $200 alot better resale than the new t-6's.  Burris 6x target scopes were OK after afew trips back to the shop don't have one of the new ones so only can comment on the older ones.  The leupold compact 6xAO is a good scope as is the new one but those compacts are hard to find i won't part with my two.  I never used a Nikon so can't comment.  I think the leupold 6x42 is a good one and I've got that one with an AO.    The weaver t6 new and old,leupold and burris are the top 6x most use for match shooting.  For me if I was look at a 6x it would be the leupold 6x42 and you can get that scope with or without an AO.  Well good luck

Offline moontroll

• Avid Poster
Fixed 6 power scopes
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 08:04:36 AM »
I have a Leupold 6x42 and it s a great scope.I dont have any other fixed scopes.The nikons have a smaller occular lense than all there competetors,the size of the occular I think from my astronomy classes has to do with field of view and size of image(at occular).The zeiss scopes have the largest occular of all the scopes I'v looked at and I think that this has a lot to do with there price.The larger the occular lense(clarity) the higher the price,and the better the image(not the light gathering ability{thats controlled by Objective lense diameter and coatings}).I have a Nikon Monarch 4-12x40 and its a wonderfull scope,but the image of the zeiss is superior.I think the Nikon fixed power scopes would be just as good as the leupolds if not a little better given the same parameters.