Author Topic: What is a good rifle caliber for elk?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline CowboyEngr

• Trade Count: (0)
What is a good rifle caliber for elk?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2006, 07:49:23 AM »
My answer may not be wizbang popular, but if you have a 30-06, you have plenty of rifle for elk.  I would recommend a 180 gr. premium bullet or heavier, but I have yet to see the situation with elk where a decent shot with a 30-06 180 gr. partition had to back up and pass on a shot that another rifle cartridge would have solved.

I once had a man work for me that shot two bulls within about 20 seconds with a 25-06.  They both expired in short order.  I am not condoning his ethics, - just his rifle choice.  He was hunting with a buddy (not me) and decided to fill his tag too.  His ethics sucked, but his ability as a shooter is not in question.

If a man wants to shoot something bigger and needs to justify it, then power to him, but I never have bought into the idea that today's elk are tougher than yesterday's.

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2006, 09:32:12 AM »
My 30-06 is an older 742 woodsmaster. This was my very first centerfire rifle I got for my 16th birthday. (40 will be next). This is probally my most prized gun. Has killed loads of WT deer here in NC, However I would'nt feel good about taking a 300+ yrd shot with it, mainlly from an accuracy standpoint. Love the ole gun but will leave er for closer work.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »
I think that if anything, what a question like this proves is that we have an embarrassment of rich's. In the end, someone really looking for an answer can leave knowing exactly what he knew coming in! :wink:
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2006, 04:49:50 PM »
WHUT

Man that's toooo deep for me.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2006, 09:38:23 AM »
I can't help but feel one should consider hunting CONDITIONS before making a selection.  I really like my '06 but if open range and long shots were the order of the day I'd want something with more downrange impact and/or a flatter trajectory.  Your hunting style comes into consideration also.  Some guys LIKE shooting at 300 yards and others enjoy sneaking up close.  There is no "one gun fits all" solution.  Then again, a lot can be said for sticking with the gun you know well and shoot best.  Remember, Jack O'Conner killed just about every game animal on the planet with his .270.  I give a nod to those who say the three most important things about killing a game animal are: 1.) shot placement, 2.) shot placement, and 3.) shot placement.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!