Author Topic: 25 acp necked down to .17 caliber  (Read 1820 times)

Offline zrifleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
25 acp necked down to .17 caliber
« on: April 04, 2005, 04:48:48 PM »
In a box of reloading tools I inherited, I found one round a 25 acp case necked down to .17 with a hollow point spitzer in it. It has about a 30 degree shoulder. I'm told that it was the brainchild of Averill Hannah, one of LA's old time gunsmiths. He chambered up a single shot pistol to dispatch various varmints from his yard. Supposedly he loaded a very small charge of fast powder. I know of only one other round in existence, from the same source. Has any else seen one like this? It's the tiniest useable wildcat I have seen.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 03:38:31 PM »
I'd love to have a centerfire bolt nose for a Remington 580 and build up one of those actions for a cartridge like that. Talk about a neato squirrel rifle! I can't think of any other actions small enough with enough strength to try it with. 'Course a Contender would work but that's way too easy.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 03:48:01 AM »
Nobade :  Do a search of the 5mm magnum I recall someone was converting the bolts in them for a centerfire 5mm but I am not a computer person so I cant give you much more than that. :D    JIM

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 02:30:05 PM »
Yep, it's the 5mm Craig. You get a bolt nose, cases, dies, shellholder, etc. to make a Rem 5mm into a centerfire. It's cool, but these days easier just to rebarrel it to 17 HMR.  I figure I could make a bolt nose pretty easily, it's not all that complex. Someday I'll build up one if I can ever find another 580 for a reasonable price. The right one has to show up in a pawn shop eventually!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline rodgervich

I made one.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 07:26:29 PM »
I made one of these also, I call it the .17 Skeeter. It was my first wildcat project, you can read about it on my webpage link below.
The version that seems to be known is by Bill Eichelberger, a small caliber icon who has designed many lines of cartridges from .20 down to .10 caliber. He calls his .25ACP line the "Dart" series. I know of a couple other folks who have made similar cartridges as well, they are all about the same.
I load mine with about 1.5gr pistol powder and 15gr Berger bullets as a standard load but it will shoot 20gr VMAX pretty well, have not had any luck with 25gr bullets. It is a real pain in the neck to work with, hence the name! I have had to customize all my load tools to work with this little bugger, standard trimmers, funnels, chamfer tools, etc. just do not go down this short.
It is pretty much a reloadable .17 Mach2 but WAY more work.

http://webpages.charter.net/Rodgervich/Paul/skeeter.htm

Pictured next to a .22lr