Author Topic: Law expands right to kill in self defense.  (Read 634 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Law expands right to kill in self defense.
« on: April 05, 2005, 09:42:32 AM »
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (Reuters) - People in Florida will be allowed to kill in self-defense on the street without trying to flee under a new law passed by state politicians on Tuesday that critics say will bring a Wild West mentality and innocent deaths.

The Florida House of Representatives, citing the need to allow people to "stand their ground," voted 94-20 to codify and expand court rulings that already allow people to use deadly force to protect themselves in their homes without first trying to escape.

The new bill goes further by allowing citizens to use deadly force in a public place if they have a reasonable belief they are in danger of death or great bodily harm. It applies to all means of force that may result in death, although the legislative debate focused on guns.

The "Stand Your Ground" bill passed the Senate last week on a 39-0 vote and now goes to Republican Gov. Jeb Bush, who indicated he will sign it.

"This is about meeting force with force," said House sponsor Republican state Rep. Dennis Baxley of Ocala. "If I'm attacked, I should not have to retreat."

Critics have few objections to allowing people to protect themselves from intruders in their homes but said the provision making it easier to use deadly force in public gives gun owners a license to kill.

"For a House that talks about the culture of life it's ironic that we would be devaluing life in this bill," said Democratic state Rep. Dan Gelber of Miami Beach. "That's exactly what we're doing."

Like many states, Florida courts have ruled that people have a right to defend themselves in their homes. Florida courts have expanded that "Castle Doctrine" to include employees in their workplaces and drivers who are attacked in their automobiles.

Outside the home, however, courts have ruled that most victims must at least attempt to escape before using deadly force, a provision gun advocates say puts victims at greater risk. The proposal removes that requirement if a person has a reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm.

Critics say the measure could lead to racially motivated killings and promote deadly escalations of arguments.

"All this bill will do is sell more guns and possibly turn Florida into the OK Corral," said Democratic state Rep. Irv Slosberg of Boca Raton.
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 11:17:22 AM »
I think most history buffs will attest that the ol' west was not as wild as TV and movies make it out to be.  Yes most everyone was armed in the old west but few people wanted to risk injury or death by looking for trouble.  Fact is the ol' west was probably safer than most places are today.

By the way the shoot out at the OK Coral was between a group of outlaws and a group of deputized law enforcement officers not civilians so the reference does not even apply to this proposed law.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 12:59:47 PM »
All the critics of the Concealed Carry Laws made the same wild west bs claim and it never happened either. The local Liberal State Rep of my area (Nortwestern WI) uses that all the time but then no one takes him serious anyway but the clown still gets elected. Typical Democrat follow the union vote like a lemming policys. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Bigdog57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 09:01:01 AM »
Being a Tallahassee, Florida native and resident myself, I am glad to see this bill become law!   8)
When Florida okayed CCW, the UberLibs said there would be 'blood in the streets!'
Instead, our violent crime rate has dropped.  But they can't allow themselves to admit it.   :wink:

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 12:09:07 AM »
A few years ago Kennesaw Ga. decided to pass a law encouraging armed households...
   In reaction, a town near Chicago (can't recall name) passed a law to outlaw gun ownership there..

Has anyone heard any comparative statistics that have been released ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)