Author Topic: Newbie questions...NEF combos  (Read 930 times)

Offline Servo77

• Trade Count: (0)
Newbie questions...NEF combos
« on: April 06, 2005, 06:28:55 AM »
Hi all, I just found this forum and am wondering something.  I am interested in getting a muzzleloader for deer hunting.  I have been looking at the NEF combos that feature the 50 cal muzzleloader and 28" 12 gauge barrel.  I cannot find any "just muzzleloaders" around home.  I am also new to NEF.  Quality build?  Are they accurate?  

Here is my main concern.....can you change out the barrels in the combos yourself, or does it need to be sent back to NEF for that?  I know that they will change barrels on other guns, but it requires being sent in.  Do the combos they sell allow you to swap 'em yourself?

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 08:27:12 AM »
:D welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of information that can help you with your concerns. I have a Huntsman muzzle loader and the accuracy is outstanding. The quality of NEF guns is good. I have a 30-30 and a 223 barrel and changing the barrels can be less then 3 mins. and you do it yourself with no problems. You will not go wrong with NEF combination gun.

Offline Wild Bill 442

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 04:20:07 AM »
The key issue is that H&R/NEF won't sell new additional barrels unless they are fitted to the specific frame at their factory.  If you buy a combo, all you need to do is remove the forearm screw, pop off the forearm and then open the action.  The installed barrel will be free of the frame and you can mount the second barrel, add back the forearm and screw and your ready in your second configuration.  Probably takes less time to do that for me to type this.

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 05:14:35 AM »
Years ago I was at Dick's. They had a Handi in 45/70 new, but being sold as used (somebody ordered and then backed out), for $185. I would have never considered NEF. Of course the butt plate was stripped, when I looked it over more closely at home. The accuracy was great, and I saw no need to do anything with the iron sights. I'm a hunter!
What I did is on a whim, I sent off the receiver for a huntsman barrel.
I have many muzzleloaders. The Huntsman outshoots them all, and has only one shot kills... Deer and Russian Boar. 90 gr 777 & 295 pb!!!
Sure NEF is cheap, and they should correct many of the annoying things
documented many times on GBO. Customers should not be screwing around after laying out their hard earned money.
That being said The Huntsman is terrific, and the Handi for me is a good backup pickup deer rifle>>>>

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 08:47:41 AM »
3 minutes to change barrels? You must be stopping for lunch in between barrels. It takes about 30 seconds to swap barrels if you rush, and anyone can do it in under a MINUTE!!! Much easier and quicker than the TC's....<><.... :-D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 11:10:22 AM »
Ok, ok MSP Ret some of us like to eat lunch. But your right it may only take 30 second to change barrels if a bear is on your *%$#@!  But I agree that it is a quick change out.. :-D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 03:02:51 PM »
OK mangulator, I like your screen name, I don't know for sure what it is but it sounds vicious!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley