Author Topic: which slug gun?  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Bob W.

• Trade Count: (0)
which slug gun?
« on: April 06, 2005, 12:32:53 PM »
I would like to here all your opinions on which slug gun - ultra or tracker.  I personally sit most of the time but often walk 1/2 to 1 mile to my spot.  My observation , from comments on this forum are that the tracker shoots as well as the ultra but kicks more and the ultra uses a scope but it is questionable that scopes can be used on the tracker particularly on the .12 ga.  At 5 1/2 lbs. and accurate why would I choose a 9 lb. gun that isn't anymore accurate and costs more.  Although it may sound like I am leaning twords the tracker that is not necessarily true.  I would appreciate your thoughts on this topic. By the way, recoil for 1 or 2 shots at an animal is not really a concern to me - my opinion - whats yours.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
which slug gun?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 01:55:18 PM »
If I was starting from scratch now and was only going to have one slug gun. I wouls but a youth model ultra slugger and put a low power scope and a regular size stock on it. That gives you the accuracy and splits the weight difference.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jeff223

which slug gun?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 01:59:51 PM »
you cant go wrong with a 20 or 12ga ultraslug.i have a 20 ultraslug and i love it.i just got a 12ga tracker II barrel from a fello member here at Graybeard outdoors and i have plans of a scope for that.im sure they will shoot about the same.both the tracker and the ultraslugs are great guns for the money

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Youth Size Ultra
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 02:09:25 PM »
You hit it Markus!  You nailed my plan, but I'm gonna keep the youth stock.  I figure after I add the extra padding of a heavy coat, heavy shirt and maybe even a sweater that the LOP will be just right.  Yeah, it gets cold "Up Nort' " when its deer season.LOL

Bob...I have been pondering about just getting a barrel or buying the whole gun.  What Markus said is what I came up with.  One suggestion that was put to me, was that I should put on a heavy coat like I would be wearing for deer hunting and then shoulder the youth gun and see how the LOP was for me.  Thats good advice.  The weight lost by going with the youth model, in part, is due to the 22in rather than 24in barrel of an adult size and of course you loose a little weight because of the shorter stock, too.  Good Luck.  Either way you go, you will have a great slugger.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
jeff223
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 02:12:58 PM »
Hey guy, be sure and keep us posted on the Tracker 12ga scope mod.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
which slug gun?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 04:20:26 PM »
Well you could always get a 20 ga. trackr and have it drilled and tapped like I did.  But more important is what range are you going to be shooting from ?  I have both a 12 ga tracker stock open sigths and a 20 ga that I had drilled and tapped for a scope rail. But where I hunt all of my kills were made with the open sighted gun.  I hunt in very heavy bush.  No shots over fifty yrds.  So if your hunting in an area that gives you a shot of 100 + yrds I'd go with the ultra if your like me and kick them up in the thick brush then go with the tracker.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
which slug gun?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 05:27:56 AM »
Hello Bob.  Just my two cents worth.  I bought a 12 ga. Tracker last spring.  It is the most accurate slug gun that I've ever used and recoils harder than anything I've ever shot.   I shoot Lightfield Sabot slugs and they do very well out to 100 yds.  I've tried Federal Sabots and it shoots them accurately as well.  My recommendation would be to look hard at the 20 ga.  I have considered trading/selling the 12 ga. for a twenty, but it shoots so well that, so far, I am willing to take the recoil for "tune-up" shots and for game-getting.

EVOC ONE

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
which slug gun?
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 09:35:38 AM »
I had a 12 ga. and I gave it to my brother. The recoil from the 5 1/2 lb. gun was alittle much for my shoulder :shock:  I did manage to get the 20 ga tracker and am very pleased with it. :wink:  I have mine sighted in at 50 yds and it is dead on accurate. I use it for heavy cover. :yeah: And with no scope, it's shooting only 5/8 inch high at 50 yds. Can't do much better than that! :-D
                                                                         tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Bob W.

which slug gun?
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 11:51:36 AM »
great comments so far guys, thanks.  I may have to look at the youth .20 ga as I don't have real long arms and am 5'9" tall.  I've felt very comfortable with 13 - 13 1/2" lop in the past.  Most of my shots would be well under 100 yrds but there is always the chance for a little farther and as I get older my eyes seem to like / demand a scope more and more.  have you found the ultra to be more accurate at 100yrds?  I mean are we talking 1-2" groups vs 2-3" groups?  I appreciate the comments so far as many times it gives me something else to consider

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
which slug gun?
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 02:31:06 PM »
Hello Bob.  I'm getting 2-4 inch five shot groups off the bench at 100 yds.  with the 12 ga. and open sights.  Thats shooting with a sand bag on my shoulder.  After about three shots without the sandbag, I start shaking to badly.  I can't say I enjoy a heavy recoil, but I have no problem with my .45-70 Handi.  I swear, though, I have never shot anything that kicks like the Tracker 12 ga.  

EVOC ONE

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
which slug gun?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 03:33:42 PM »
I had the 12 Ultra Slug at first.....it shot VERY well with home cast Lyman sabot slugs (510gr from wheelweights) running about 1500 fps.....3" shells. The actual weight of the gun made this otherwise  punishing  load tolerable, and I was quite able to sight it in at the range. It only took 5 rounds!  But I found the gun was too heavy for my liking when it was time to go off stand and start moving around a little......

I then bought a 12ga Tracker II, which was pure murder on the shoulder with those Lyman slugs, even when I tried to load them down a little.....I had the bbl Pro-Ported (Magna-Port), which kept the fore end from leaping out of my hand, installed a mercury reoil reducer in the buttstock, and then went  to a 1 oz Federal sabot (store bought ammo....), which gave me 5 holes 1 " high, touching at 50 yds, and a 2-3" group 2 " low  at 100 yds. This from a sitting position at a shooting bench, resting the fore end in my hand, which was resting on a padded wooden rest.
I found this rig to be far more tolerable to shoot, not too much more than my 16ga smoothbore slug gun.

I've been hunting  since the 2000 season, (I started kinda late in life, though I've always fished, and my dad was a grouse hunter...), and up to now, have always hunted on CT state land. In 2001 I got a spike buck with the Ultra Slug from a sitting rest under an evergreen at 28 yds. In the 2004 season, I got a good sized doe while SLOWLY moving from one area to another at a range of about 5 yds.

The Tracker II is excellent for the fast sight picture acquisition you need in the bush, like I did this past season, but I have the confidence to take a deer all the way out to 100yds with it  should  the situation arise.

The search for the next gun is a lot of fun in itself.......keep us posted as to what your choice becomes, and how it works out for you!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
which slug gun?
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 02:35:50 AM »
The first slug gun from NEF that we bought was the 12 ga. Ultra. While it was indeed an accurate gun, we(I) grew tired of the 11lbs it weighed with the scope. Found it difficult to shoot without a rest from an elevated stand. I bought a 20 ga rifled Tracker for my wife and had it drilled and tapped for a scope rail and added a Weaver V3 scope. This was/is a super combination for shotgun only deer hunting areas. Lightweight and all the accuracy of the heavier Ultra. Recoil can be controlled by the type of shells you use. In 20 ga., the Federal Hydra-shok is a mild recoiling round as is the Barnes Expander. I shoot both from a Millet rest without holding the forend. The hydra-shok is especially accurate in my wifes Tracker. The Winchester Partition Gold has lots more recoil and you really have to hang onto the Tracker forend when bench shooting or you'll be wearing a tattoo compliments of Mr. Recoil.

We now have only the Tracker II's here as I purchased a barrel for my Handi receiver as well. My vote would be for the Tracker, but then you know my reasons........Chainsaw

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
which slug gun?
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 05:33:33 AM »
Bob W.  :

Each gun will shoot a-little different...you could get a 1 holer in a 12ga Ultra Slug...like I did...or perhaps one that will only group 2-3" same for the lighter version...and it's the same for the 20 gauge version...shooting slugs/sabots..from any shotgun will increase the recoil levels...one of the main reasons a-lot of folks go with the 20 ultra slug is because they can have them fitted to thir rifle receivers...whereas you can only get the 12 ga Ultra Slug barrel on the shotgun frame...because it is really a 10 gauges barrel bore out to 12 gauge...and needs the 10 ga frame to use it. Weight is a big factor when shooting slugs...the more it weighs...the less recoil...this is true for the 12ga...or the 20 gauge..accuracy isn't caliber restrictive...ie which is more accurate...both the 12ga...and the 20 ga..are plenty accurate...in fact they are some of the most accurate slug guns made...but ...you can always get one that isn't...just as with any other type firearm...if your only going to be shooting a couple boxes of slugs a year...and most of your shots will be under 100 yards...then go for the 20 gauge...it will take deer cleanly...if you feel the need for more power or want to shoot at longer distances...go for the 12 ga...both are great guns...I will say this though...if your looking to get a  centerfire rifle to hunt with...I would get the rifle first...then add the 20gauge ultra slug barrel to it afterwards...because you cant add a rifle to a shotgun frame...(at least NEF won't do it for ya)...and this way your set for whatever hunting you'll want to do...and it's a-lot cheaper in the long run doing it this way...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Bob W.

which slug gun?
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 12:30:57 PM »
now thats the kind of info. and opinions I'm looking for thanks guys!

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
tracker II and deer
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 02:49:07 PM »
hello, fellow hr & nef people.  i am new to this so bear with me. i've shot two deer with a tracker II 12 using  brennke slugs. neither deer walked a step and the range was 60-65 yds for both. i don't remember any recoil. but that is hunting and not bench shooting. i am sold on the simple single shot slug gun. the tracker II costs $115 from a guy at a gunshow. i am glad to be on the forum with all of you.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
which slug gun?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 04:13:07 PM »
Welcome aboard hunman55, hard to beat a NEF/H&R and Brenneke slugs isn't it!!! Glad to have you with us and enjoy your time here!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 3s3k

which slug gun?
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2005, 07:46:35 AM »
Bobw

Just my opinion on subject if you live up north in cold climate and wear alot of cloths during deer season the 20ga ush youth model works very well right out of the box with a low power scope, have had one for couple years and no regret.gl

Offline dakota rifleman

which slug gun?
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2005, 08:34:31 AM »
I am new here too and have been thinking of adding a slug barrel to my SB l I need just the rifle sights and will be using it for ranges of 50 yards or less. How is their rifled slug barrel with sights?
:gun4:  IT ONLY TAKES ONE( GOOD SHOT.)

Offline Bob W.

which slug gun?
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2005, 02:36:24 PM »
hunman55 and MSP ret, do you use breneke shells in rifled barrels?  I thought they were made for smoothbore guns.  I just got 5 boxes for 1.99 per box at the local Gander Mountain cause I thought they were cheap - like me sometimes

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
which slug gun?
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2005, 02:51:42 PM »
Bob W.:

They make both types of slugs...as does a-lot of other manufactures...the sabot's aren't cheap...but they are worth it if your shooting out to and beyond 100 yards...

Here's a link for ya to check out some of the different slugs and shells......you can order from these guys...and they are pretty good...http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=ammoBrandList&ammoRecID=3&CFID=1788327&CFTOKEN=37325653

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
which slug gun?
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2005, 04:35:32 PM »
BobW., I use the Brenneke-Rottwiel MP's in my smooth bore and they are OUTSTANDING!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
which slug gun?
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2005, 03:07:33 AM »
Quote from: dakota rifleman
I am new here too and have been thinking of adding a slug barrel to my SB l I need just the rifle sights and will be using it for ranges of 50 yards or less. How is their rifled slug barrel with sights?

:D Welcome to the forum..
I don't have any experience with the rifle sights, but I'm sure someone here will have an answer for you.  :grin:
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Re: tracker II and deer
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2005, 03:09:52 AM »
Quote from: hunman55
hello, fellow hr & nef people.  i am new to this so bear with me. i've shot two deer with a tracker II 12 using  brennke slugs. neither deer walked a step and the range was 60-65 yds for both. i don't remember any recoil. but that is hunting and not bench shooting. i am sold on the simple single shot slug gun. the tracker II costs $115 from a guy at a gunshow. i am glad to be on the forum with all of you.

:D We're glad to have you with us, welcome to the family :grin:  :grin:
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
which slug gun?
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2005, 02:19:26 PM »
The sights on the tracker2 are great for 50 yards. I shot a deer this last season at somewhere around that using them
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
brenneke slugs in tracker II
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2005, 11:27:04 PM »
yes, the brenneke slugs shot where my sights were at the before mentioned 60-65 yd. range. they can be used in smoothbore and rifled guns and are deadly. i have a old md 088 h &r that i sent to Rhino in Fla. he cut the barrel to 19 in. and installed a screw-in rifled tube . i put  the day-glo type sights on it and it will shoot 4 shots touching and one flyer at sixty yds with the rem. slugger loads(foster-type). gun weights less than four pounds and five shots was all i could stand, but it is light and handy. best to you all. hunman 55

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
which slug gun?
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2005, 10:16:46 AM »
Quote from: dakota rifleman

Quote from: hunman55
hello, fellow hr & nef people. i am new to this so bear with me. i've shot two deer with a tracker II 12 using brennke slugs. neither deer walked a step and the range was 60-65 yds for both. i don't remember any recoil. but that is hunting and not bench shooting. i am sold on the simple single shot slug gun. the tracker II costs $115 from a guy at a gunshow. i am glad to be on the forum with all of you.

Welcome to you two guys...It's great to see some new people here.  Stick around and share your experiences...Welcome the the friendliest forum on the net.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
which slug gun?
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2005, 11:07:59 AM »
If your max shot is 5-60 yards go with the smoothbore barrel with rifle sights. They still have some 12 and 20 gauge barrels left at the factory. They are PLENTY accurate out to that distance and the slugs are MUCH, MUCH cheaper....<><.... :grin: