Author Topic: cast bullet velocity  (Read 861 times)

Offline adam

• Trade Count: (0)
cast bullet velocity
« on: April 07, 2005, 05:44:53 AM »
Hi
I own a 500 pack of meister 170 gr cast bullet for  caliber 30-30 and want to get as much  velocity as i can without leading the barrel. how many fps is the highest limit , these bullets are  plain based not gaz checked  and i guess about 15 brinnel hardness.
regards
adam

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
cast bullet velocity
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 11:31:59 AM »
I would say that 1,500 fps would be approaching max and don't seat the bullet below the case neck.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
cast bullet velocity
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 02:24:35 PM »
Several things you can do to achieve max velocities. #1 - make darn sure they fit your rifle's barrel. Push a soft slug down the bore for measurements as well as to get a feel for any loose or tight spots. #2 - make sure your cases are within .010" of your chamber length. This is really hard to do with most 30-30 rifles. The current factory cases are usually .100" or so short. #3 - make sure the bullets are hard enough. 15BHN isn't gonna cut it for high speed with plainbase bullets. You can try heat treating some and see if they harden up. If they have antimony and a little arsenic in them they'll harden. #4 - use good lube. Tom Gray's or LBT blue. #5 - poly wads or soft wax gaschecks will be beneficial. Of course if you just want to shoot cast bullets at full throttle out of a 30-30, just use gaschecked ones, water dropped, with any old decent lube and you'll max out pressure before you get bullet failure. But plainbase is so much more interesting of a challenge!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
cast bullet velocity
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 09:29:37 AM »
There is another thing you can do.  take the bullets and roll them on a file to rough up the edges and give them some tooth.  Get some one inch wide teflon pipe tape and wrap the bullets, leave a bit to wrap and protect the base.  when you load these make sure the necks are real clean and bell the mouth just a bit.  You don't want any drag when you seat the bullets to tear the 2 to 3 wraps of teflon tape.  You can shoot these at jacketed velocities.  If you don't understand how to wrap them it is the same as a paper patch bullet.  This was written up in Hanloader some years ago.  since these are store bought I assume you don't have a sizer.  If you do run them through the sizer before you load them.  Best of luck, JB

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
cast bullet velocity
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 09:45:18 AM »
I forgot to mention that of course you results will depend on the hardness of the bullet as the previous poster indicated.  You can push the pill at jacked velocity but a soft alloy can upset in the barrel and not behave well in flight.  Check and see if Miester publishes their hardness.  you can make them harder by heating them in an oven (and melting out the lube you will not need) to a point below which they will sag or melt.  In the Handloader story they shot 150 gr. 30/30 with IMR 3031 at 2.190 fps.  They got goof results with 7X57 and .243 win. up to 2700fps! with good accuracy! Source Handloader #86.  Best of luck. JB