Author Topic: New binocular question  (Read 597 times)

Offline Reloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New binocular question
« on: April 07, 2005, 10:02:22 AM »
I am in the market for a new binocular and was wondering if you folks could answer a few questions.

Who makes the Cabela's guide full size binocular and anybody out there care to comment on the quality of these?

Any comments on the Leupold Wind River Pinnacle 10x42 would be appreciated.

Also interested in Zeiss and would like to here about them as well.

I am looking in the $400-$800 price range and want the best bang for the buck on a set of 10x42.[/b]
If I can make it go bang it can't be that hard to do.

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
New binocular question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 11:07:31 AM »
I would take a hard look at the Pentax SP series.  I bought my nephew one last year for his birthday and they are very, very nice binos 10x42's).  I would also consider the Minox (made by Leica).  If there's any way you could spare $1000 or so the Leica 10x42 BN or BA are fantastic.  It's what I've been using for the past 5 years and they are the single best hunting item I've ever bought.  Good Luck.

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: New binocular question
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 06:03:27 PM »
Quote from: Reloader
I am in the market for a new binocular and was wondering if you folks could answer a few questions.

Who makes the Cabela's guide full size binocular and anybody out there care to comment on the quality of these?

Any comments on the Leupold Wind River Pinnacle 10x42 would be appreciated.

Also interested in Zeiss and would like to here about them as well.

I am looking in the $400-$800 price range and want the best bang for the buck on a set of 10x42.[/b]
.........I have a set of Zeiss 10x40's that I have used for years.......they were part of my equipment in my job and they are clear edge to edge with no distortion any where in the lens......they adjust smoothly and the rubber armor is still firmly attached and is durable........they allow for  use for hours at a time with no eye strain.....I have had them for 15yrs and had a hard time getting the money to get them but the money was well spent looking back and few other similar sized binocs will match them ......for hard use or long time viewing without eye strain they are worth the pain of purchase....imo....good luck and good shooting!!

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
New binocular question
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 03:23:03 AM »
Reloader,

I have looked thru the Conquest and I was not very impressed with them for the money.  I like the Pinnacles much better than the Conquest.  Don't know who makes the Cabela's brand.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
New binocular question
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 04:37:39 AM »
Bought the Zeiss yesterday.   I have used a friend's while hunting and it spoiled me.
I think the present price on them is a steal for lifetime quality optics.

pepaw

Offline centershot

• Trade Count: (1)
New binocular question
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 08:33:19 AM »
I also own the Pentax DCF SP 10X43's. They are very nice and in my opinion, the best new bino for the money.

A friend and I were spotting an elk under a brush last fall - 4 point raghorn, I was using my Pentaxs and he had Swarovski SLC 10X42's.  The bull was about 1 mile away sleeping under a big bush. We would look and swap binos back and forth and I personally could not tell any differerance in the view or amount of detail between the two binoculars.

I bought mine on a closeout deal at Sportsmans Warehouse for $450 a far cry from the $1150 for the Swarovskis.