Author Topic: .410 pattern test  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Bob W.

• Trade Count: (0)
.410 pattern test
« on: April 07, 2005, 11:58:09 AM »
I just took out my new .410 partner.  I was a little worried about pattern placement after reading some of the posts on burnishing your barrel, anyway I cleaned the barrel very good.  I was extreamly dirty but when the patched came out clean ( cloth patch with oil ) I took it out and patterned it against a cardboard box.  It was perfectly centered just above the top of the bead - just the way I like it.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
.410 pattern test
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 12:25:32 PM »
Sounds like a winner Bob.  What shells were you patterning with?  Was the pattern nicely distributed or was there a hole in it?  How about some more details.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Bob W.

.410 pattern test
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 12:24:20 PM »
brett I was using 2 1/2 in. reloads with 7 1/2s pattern was very consistent, no holes.

Offline Brett

.410 pattern test
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 04:20:29 PM »
So far I have found that 2-1/2",#7-1/2 shoot a better pattern than the 3", #7-1/2s for some reason.   I have tried several factory loads in both 2-1/2" and 3" and found the Remington Game loads shoot the best out of my .410 Topper. I am going to try burnishing the barrel to see if that will help with 3" express loads.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
.410 pattern test
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 10:56:49 PM »
I found my 410 prefers the 2 1/2 loads also.  Lately I've been shooting the Winchester high speed in 6 shot.  Walmart has them for $4.68 a box.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Brett

.410 pattern test
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 02:22:50 AM »
Quote from: DaveH
I found my 410 prefers the 2 1/2 loads also.  Lately I've been shooting the Winchester high speed in 6 shot.  Walmart has them for $4.68 a box.

Wow, good price on the shells, I need to make a run to my local Wally-World and see if they have any.   A box of .410s usually run anywhere from $7 and change up to around $10 a box.  I'm strongly considering reloading the little buggers.

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
.410 pattern test
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 02:57:52 AM »
In Connecticut, the Remington 2 1/2" #6 game loads are $6.28, no matter which store you go to.....I haven't seen the Winchesters.....
I normally handload everything, and the prices of .410 ammo are definately an incentive here.....
Anyway, I was able to get a 12ga MEC Sizemaster loader that needed parts on e-bay, and got a conversion kit from Natchez Shooting Supply.  I also got some empty hulls on e-bay.

I already have powder, shot  & primers on hand.....

Handloading will cost me $2.45 a box of 25 (not 20, like the Remingtons...).
The loader and conversion will be paid for with 20 boxes of shells!
 :lol:
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Reloading shotshells
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 03:09:42 AM »
WOW, that's quite a savings.  I guess I didn't realize there were that many guys reloading shotshells.  I usually only hear about most guys reloading rifle shells.  Can you use the same presses and stuff with different dyes?  Can you reload a shell more than once?  Is it as touchy as reloading rifle shells?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline offhand35

• Contributor
.410 pattern test
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 03:28:29 AM »
No, it's a special type of reloader, specific to the gauge that you are reloading. You can convert some loaders to different gauges, but it is NOT the same as changing dies on a metallic reloading press.

The least expensive shotshell reloader is Lee's Load-All II.     There is a lot of plastic here, but it will get you started, and it is what I used to first load 12ga slugs. I wore mine out after about 5000-6000 shells ( I started shooting trap)

The most popular make now is MEC [Mayville Engineering Co]
Look at       www.mecreloader.com

It's a whole different world, and if you think that H&R's  can be addictive, wait and see what happens if you start loading shotshells!!!!

:eek:

Offline offhand35

• Contributor
.410 pattern test
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 03:37:17 AM »
I' m sorry, I didn't answer all your questions......there are only hundreds of books for that!!!!

You can reload shotshells multiple times. How many times will vary with brand of shell, this is topic for pages of discussion.
I'm still on my 1st 1000 Federal 12ga shells, and I'm guessing that on avg I've reloded them 6 or 7 times.

There is a good shotshell reloading forum at:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

Take a look....

[GRAYBEARD I hope it's ok to list that.......]

Offline offhand35

• Contributor
.410 pattern test
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 03:42:22 AM »
:oops: oops, there is a really good shotshell reloading forum here as well, just look a little lower in  Graybeard's index.......

Offline Bob W.

.410 pattern test
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 02:48:18 PM »
DaveH thats a great price for factory loads. I havent shot 3" out of my partner yet - too busy working - (thats good right?) I just happened to have 2 1/2 in. reloads.  Actually I always thought the 1/2 oz. shot payload was a little light and usually use the 3" for hunting I don't expect 3" 7 1/2s too pattern any differently out of my gun but it sounds like I better check it out.  The older I get the more I discover that guns are like women .....(need I fill in the rest?)