Author Topic: How accurate is a Tracker I smoothbore barrel?  (Read 599 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
How accurate is a Tracker I smoothbore barrel?
« on: April 09, 2005, 01:58:58 AM »
Thinking about a Tracker I smoothbore barrel for my Camp/HD barrel.  How accurate are they as compared to the Tracker II?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
How accurate is a Tracker I smoothbore barr
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 03:52:32 AM »
I just finally found my long sought for Tracker I and have not shot it yet. But I have a smoothbore 24" 12 gauge barrel with a red dot mounted that on a good day will cut a large one hole cloverleaf at 50 yards with Brenneke-Rottwiel MP 2 3/4" slugs. I have been changing from a modified to IC choke tube and back again in the 24" barrel in an attempt to close the group more.I am hoping close to the same with the Tracker I with iron sights but am not sure if the cylinder bore barrel will do as well, in any event, either will do just fine out to 75 yards or so from my experience and that of others who have posted here....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
smoothbore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 10:22:13 AM »
Thanks MSP.  I, for one, will be interested in your range reports on the IC and M cylinder findings.  I'm still not settlled on just which barrel I want to put on my Camp/HD gun.  Torn between 12 or 20 and also, between 24in Tracker I or 22in mod if its the 12ga and Mod or Full if its the 20ga.   Maybe overthinking it just a bit. LOL  Anyway, Thanks for you thoughts.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Bob W.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »
cookieman, why do you want the smooth bore instead of the rifled barrel?  Do they still make a smoothbore with rifle sights?  just curious.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Smooth Bore w/RS
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 06:29:23 PM »
The last time I checked, a month or so ago, they still had smooth bore sighted barrels.  I thought of the smooth bore for use as a Camp/HD gun.  Then I would also have the option for shotshells as well as slugs.  Most of the time the shotshells would do fine for Home defense and
Camp defense situations, but the slug option would be there if needed and there would always be a couple slug shells in the butt mounted shell carrier.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 02:46:40 AM »
Also BobW., the smoothbore is great with slugs out to 50-60-70 yards for hunting situations and those slugs are MUCH cheaper than sabots. That means you can shoot it more cheaply or a lot more for the same ammo costs. Also, as Cookieman says, you can shoot buckshot as well as any other shot load out of it. I am looking forard to getting some of the .600 hard cast Tri-Ball loads from Dixie Slug for mine. I forget exactly what they claim but they are supposed to group about 8" at 40 yards at about 1100 fps if I remember correctly. What a deer, bear and wild boar load for up close in the thick stuff!!, 3 x .600" hardcast lead balls for a total weight of 930 grains that group tightly out to 40-50 yards!!!! Perfect for where I hunt in Maine, although I have seen deer further away than 40 yards, I have never shot one in Maine over 40 yards away. In the swamps and thick "greengrowth" areas I usually hunt, you can't see that far, especially early in the season before the leaves fall, later in the season is different.....<><.... :grin:

P.S. Cookieman, who had/has smoothbore rifle sighted barrels in stock? Was is the factory??!! Silly me, I have been looking all around for one and although I finally recently found an "as new" Tracker I, I never thought about calling and asking CS if they had one!!! Thanks....<><.... :oops:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 03:40:45 AM »
:D , Cookieman, Thanks for the heads-up in your above post!!! I just got off the phone with Jennifer and had her add a 24", 20 gauge, rifle sighted, smoothbore barrel to my frame that is there for a 30-06 Ultra Comp barrel!!!  The cost of the barrel was $50 plus
whatever fitting and shipping they may add, but my receiver was there anyway.
As much as I like both of my 12 gauge smoothbore barrels, the one with a red dot or scope, depending on my mood, and the one with rifle sights, I think this 20 gauge smoothbore with rifle sights and Brenneke slugs is going to be GREAT!!! And so
much cheaper to shoot than my rifled Tracker II with sabots. I have found that
these smoothbores are all you need out to 50-75 yards.
Thanks again Cookieman, your informative post above is another reason this site
is so great, helpful guys like you willing to share info received!!!....<><.... :grin:  

By the way, Jennifer was happy, helpful, knowledgeable, and a joy to speak with....
way to go, Jennifer and Customer Service, John and Gordon as well....anyone can
buy from a company once, but great CS is the reason a person keeps coming back....