Author Topic: leagal full auto  (Read 1176 times)

Offline sageman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
leagal full auto
« on: April 10, 2005, 06:38:28 AM »
Ive got a 1965 colt sp1  semi auto would it be legal for me to register it and get it converted to full auto?>

Offline Lawdog

Re: leagal full auto
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 10:56:37 AM »
Quote from: sageman
Ive got a 1965 colt sp1  semi auto would it be legal for me to register it and get it converted to full auto?>

After you get done jumping through all the rings and hoops that the Feds are going to require you to go through you can get a license.  Now comes the $64.00 question.  Is it worth it to you to do so?  Personally, I have never seen the need.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
full auto
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 11:46:27 AM »
Uner the current laws I don't think any more full autos can be made for the public. That would also mean converted. I could be wrong so check with ATF and a manufacturer in your area.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline jgalar

leagal full auto
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 04:40:35 PM »
I believe the above poster is correct. If you modify you are creating a new girearm.

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
leagal full auto
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 04:41:43 PM »
Ive got a 1965 colt sp1 semi auto would it be legal for me to register it and get it converted to full auto?>

Sorry, there's not a chance in hell.

As of May, 1986, the sale of newly manufactured machineguns to the public was banned. The same goes for conversions of existing semi auto rifles. When the rifle was first built makes absolutely NO difference. To be legal for civilian ownership, the rifle MUST have been a registered (transferable) machinegun PRIOR to the cutoff date.

Before the 1986 ban went into effect you could have filed the proper paperwork, paid the $200 transfer tax and, after being approved, had the rifle converted to FA.

Submit the paperwork now and you'll get turned down flat. Convert it anyway and it's $250,000 and 10 years in Club Fed when you get caught.
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
leagal full auto
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 12:19:41 PM »
Quote from: CAV Trooper

As of May, 1986, the sale of newly manufactured machineguns to the public was banned. The same goes for conversions of existing semi auto rifles.

And sooo many of my friends think Reagan was a stauch protector of 2nd Amendment rights.

Offline hkg3k

leagal full auto
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 01:08:38 AM »
Quote from: Mitch in MI
And sooo many of my friends think Reagan was a stauch protector of 2nd Amendment rights.

And your friends are correct.  You see it was the democraps who at the literal last minute tacked on the machinegun ban to the FOPA (firearm owners protection act) bill in 1986.  Reagan signed the 1986 FOPA bill because the NRA STRONGLY urged him to do so.  FOPA itself contained a lot of good things for firearms owners.

The only possible way to legally convert a current AR15 type weapon would be by picking up a registered drop in auto sear (dias) or registered lightening link.  Both of these devices can be placed in a semi AR15 to convert to full auto.  Understand a registered dias will go for ~$10k give or take and the registered lightening link for ~$7k give or take.  Don't be fooled by people selling the "pre-81" dias for around $200........these are not registered and therefore illegal if installed in an AR15.
hkg3k.........machineguns, my other addiction.

Offline hkg3k

Re: leagal full auto
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 01:39:46 AM »
Quote from: Lawdog
After you get done jumping through all the rings and hoops that the Feds are going to require you to go through you can get a license.  Now comes the $64.00 question.  Is it worth it to you to do so?  Personally, I have never seen the need.  Lawdog
 :D

I'd like to try and set the record straight with regard to "licenses" and "permits" for an individual to legally own full autos.

THERE IS NO "license" or "permit" required for an individual to own a transferable machinegun as far as the feds are concerned.  There may be a couple of states (ie Massachusetts) with may require an additional permit.  Each full auto weapon (or other title 2 device) is individually registered with the NFA Branch of BATF and carrys its own paperwork.  

When a machinegun is transfered to a new owner, a new registration form (4) for that particular machinegun is completed in duplicate, submitted to the local chief law enforcement officer to sign off, then sent on to the NFA Branch of the BATF to include a pair of fingerprint cards and $200 for the transfer tax.  

The time it takes BATF to approve the transfer of a particular machinegun is usually 90-180 days with some running longer and some marginally shorter depending how productive the NFA Branch is at that particular time.  Once the approved registration form (4) is received back from BATF, then the new owner may take possession of the machinegun.  

Qualifications for ownership are basically the same for any other rifle, shotgun or handgun.......cannot be a convicted felon.  Since machinegun forms must be signed off by the local CLEO, being a local troublemaker but maybe not a convicted felon will probably also get you denied.

I've probably left out a couple of small details which someone will help me out with, but the above is basically the "hoops" which must be jumped through.  My main point is there is no "license" or "permit" for an individual to obtain, but that each individual weapon carries registration paperwork with the $200 transfer tax stamp attached.  The $200 tax is only paid when a machinegun transfers to or from an individual and not an annual tax.

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
leagal full auto
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 11:11:53 AM »
hkg3k,

You're right on the money regarding the transfer and possession of NFA weapons. Only a couple of things need to be added.

1. A corporation can purchase a Title II (NFA) firearm and no CLEO signature is required. I know several people who have gone this route because their local CLEO is an idiot who wouldn't sign a Form 4 to save his life. The corporate route is OK as long as the corporation exists. If it's ever disolved, the firearm MUST be transfered out and another $200 paid.

2. There are a number of states that DO NOT allow the possession of a machinegun by a civilian no matter what the federal law says. If you happen to live in one of those. Two that come to mind are the Peoples Republik of Kalifornicate and Massauseless. Thankfully, Florida is still mostly gun friendly.

Regarding the "rings and hoops" you have to jump through before taking possession of an NFA weapon, Lawdog asked "Is it worth it to you to do so?"

Only the person concerned can answer that for themselves but in my case I have no doubt that it was. NFA firearms are a hell of a lot better investment than the stock market. The value of my M16 has INCREASED by about $4000 in the last two years alone and just keeps going up. Because of supply and demand, the only way it will ever loose value is if the '86 ban were lifted which ain't gonna happen any year soon.
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline hkg3k

leagal full auto
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 03:17:47 PM »
CAV Trooper,

Thanks for pointing out corporations may own registered/transferable machineguns and forego the CLEO signoff of the registration form and fingerprint cards.

In my state, the CLEO must sign by law within 14 days of the forms being submitted if the transferee has a clean record.  I know CLEOs not signing is a problem in some locales and forming a corporation for ownership circumvents this problem.

Thanks also for pointing out there are a few states which ban its citizens the right of machinegun ownership.  Oddly enough, both California and Massachusetts allow private ownership of machineguns........with conditions.  CA requires an all but impossible to obtain permit which effectively bans ownership, although I hear if your name and bank account are large enough you'll get that permit.  Massachusetts also requires a permit, and does issue them.......I know a couple of  MA residents who own machineguns.

Here is a website which lists NFA ownership eligibility state by state:

http://www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm

Good information not just on machineguns, but other NFA devices as well.