Author Topic: turkey season starts Monday  (Read 577 times)

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
turkey season starts Monday
« on: April 12, 2005, 12:36:59 PM »
i have the big 10ga all ready for Monday morning.a load of 6s for a big old tom awaits to be fired :) boy i cant wait till then :D

im repainting the pallet wood on this gun and im having the Tracker II 12ga barrel drilled and tapped  for a 1.75-4 Bushnell Trophy shotgun scope.this barrel and scope came from guys here at Graybeards.the internet deals have been good to me so far.i havnt been screwed by anybody yet and im thankfull for that.

a picture of the 10ga turkey~~12ga trackerII sluggun combo very soon :grin:

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
GOOD LUCK !
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 01:12:21 PM »
Enjoy the hunt!  I didn't get application in on time for the spring hunt.  But, I will be out for the fall hunt.  Don't forget the snapshots of the BIG OL' TOM.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 02:57:33 PM »
Get one for me too Jeff. I didn't get my stuff in order in time this year. Enjoy and let us know how you do.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 04:29:35 PM »
Get a big one Jeff. I have had my new 10 ga  :biggun: out the last two weekends no luck so far they are out there but I can't out talk the hens.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 06:34:01 PM »
Go get em Jeff, have fun and stay safe, Don't stalk them and watch out for yahoo's who do....<><.... :roll:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 12:17:19 AM »
:D   Let the games begin!!!! :D

Dont ya just love those gobblers in the spring!!.....The singing of the sweet turkey love songs!!.....The bark of the big 10ga.!!

Sorry got a little carried away there.....I just love this time of year!!

Good luck Jeff
Keep us updated

TCB

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 07:26:55 AM »
It's raining here today and have no inside work available so I decided to try burnishing my turkey barrel.  I used a 1/4" dowel with one end wrapped with 000 steel wool and chucked the other end in an electric drill.  I ran this steel wool 'q-tip' back and forth threw the barrel and H.S. Strut UnderTaker choke tube until it started to get hot, then would let it rest and cool for awhile.  Every so often I would run a mop with Hope's No9 followed by a dry patch to check my progress. I did this several times until the bore was like a mirror with no visible scratches.  The bore was bright to begin with but now... holy cow, I have never seen a bore this bright.  8)  Can't wait to try it out at the local V.F.D turkey shoot this weekend.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 10:05:58 AM »
We too start our Spring turkey season the 18th. I ve got the big 10 ga all ready to go.  I'm heading up to the area I used to hunt before my transfer,, in the western part of the state.  I haven't done any scouting up there but all I have read says it better now then before.  I've been scouting down around me and have seen some signs but no turkeys.  I'm also taking a friend of mine on his first turkey hunt and he is demined that he is going to use his bow.....I'll take the NEF 16 ga loaded with the PMC heavy field loads just incase he decides its better to use a gun.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 03:46:21 PM »
Well, no 10ga for me.  :cry:   I looked a new cammo one over and fell in love!!!  But I can't fork out the $$$ right now, 10 weeks before adding our first scruffy jr or scruffet to the family (we don't know boy or girl)  :grin: .  

And with the expected arrival I'm saving my vacation time so I'm hunting weekend only.  So instead of buying the 4 or 5 day shotgun tags that would allow me to hunt one weekend I bought a bow tag that lets me hunt 5 weeks, or for my schedule 5 weekends.

So me and the PSE Nova L3 cam shooting carbons and 100 grain 3 blade muzzy's will be chasing the turkeys.

And hopefully by next spring I'll have my pennies saved and be able to get a camo 10 gauge and scope mount (I already have the reddot :wink: ).

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 11:09:13 AM »
Well now I'm really getting excited about this up coming Turkey season its almost here and since I haven't been up to the area I'll be hunting I decided to throw my old tent and camping suppies in the jeep and go saturday morning and make myself a camp site until monday.  That way I can scout the birds Sat and Sun.  The weather is suppose to be great this weekend so I will spend some time in the woods...Ain't life grand.  I even reserved my camp site on online.  Now only if my friend can find my camp site Monday morning.....LOL
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 11:30:39 AM »
You gotta be single, My wife and my job dictate that I don't get to do that much any more. I wish I could get over that way and spend some time in the mountains. They aint the Rockies but there big compared to lower Delaware. If you want a hill here you've got to rent a Bobcat and make one. I have'nt seen any turkey out at my place yet this year but I saw a flock of 26 right down the road a couple weeks ago.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 03:54:06 PM »
Yeap Markus I tried the marriage thing it didn't work out for me.  She got tired of me never being home.  So now I can do what I want when I want. Unless my kids need me ......  But they know this coming weekend is mine.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 03:00:17 AM »
I went through two wife in the 7 1/2 years I was an MP. It's one of the reasons I got out. I didn't know anyone that had been in a while that didn't have at least one divorce.Good luck with the turkeys and let us know how you do.