Author Topic: Rainguard - ?  (Read 564 times)

Offline DHB

• Trade Count: (0)
Rainguard - ?
« on: April 13, 2005, 10:00:21 AM »
I have recently purchased "2" used B&L Elite 4200 scopes with Rainguard. When I breath on the lens (to clean it) it fogs up like any other scope. Is this normal or how can I make sure there isn't a problem. The lens' are flawless (no scratches). Bushnell stated "send them in and we check them"
Is there a easier/quicker method?
Thanks
Dave

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Rainguard - ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 10:12:43 AM »
Dave,

Just a little question, are they B&L Elite 4200's or 4000's?
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline DHB

Rainguard - ?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 10:15:44 AM »
Jon,
They are 4200's. They say Rainguard on the obj lens and box.
Got them used on other sites.
If I would've bought new you would've got the sale.  :grin:
Dave

Offline victorcharlie

Rainguard - ?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 11:47:59 AM »
I would think that the rain guard is for the inner lense.....I don't see how anything can stop the outside from fogging especially when you breath hot moist air on a cool lense......I'd think it would clear itself in a few seconds though........  

I bought a Bushnell 4200 elite in a 4 X 16  from Jon a couple of months ago.....almost as good a the Leupold VX-III...(it would be better if it were assembled in the USA).....when the wife wakes up from her nap I'll open the safe and see if mine does the same thing......I'm betting it will and think this would be normal.........more later.....VC
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline DHB

Rainguard - ?
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 11:53:43 AM »
VC,
Actually the Rainguard is for the outer lenses. The inner lenses are sealed and are in a nitrogen atmosphere that keeps them from fogging. Rainguared is supposed to make water bead up so small that you can see through it. I kind of doubt there is a problem with mine but need some more input. Thanks for the assistance....
Dave

Offline Dave in WV

Rainguard - ?
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 03:11:54 PM »
My B&L binoculars have rain guard and will fog when you breath on them but rapidly clear compared to conventional coated optics. Dave  :D
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline victorcharlie

Rainguard - ?
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 04:26:11 AM »
Mine fogs then clears........so the rain guard is on the outside?  Learn something new every day..........
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Rainguard - ?
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 05:40:49 AM »
Rainguard® Bushnell’s permanent, patented, hydrophobic (water-repellant) lens coating prevents fogging by causing condensation from rain, sleet, snow or even your own breath to bead up into much smaller droplets than on standard coatings. Smaller droplets scatter less light which results in a clearer, brighter view. Now the hunter won’t miss the shot of a lifetime because of rain or accidentally breathing on his eyepiece.

http://bushnell.com/products/riflescopes/elite_4200.cfm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
Rainguard - ?
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 05:45:22 AM »
To stop that outer lens fogging try rubbing a very light coating of ivory soap on it. Very light coat. rub it on then polish it. Should last all day.

Offline Dave in WV

Rainguard - ?
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 11:14:41 AM »
Rain guard is on the outside of the lens. I wouldn't put soap on the lens if they have rain guard.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Rainguard - ?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 11:24:56 AM »
I wouldn't recommend applying anything to scope lenses if it wasn't made for it, it would be too easy for impurities(abrasives) in the soap to leave microfine scratches in the lense coating, or worse yet, remove the coatings. :eek:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain