Author Topic: Great Handi Shooting Rest!!!  (Read 2110 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Great Handi Shooting Rest!!!
« on: April 13, 2005, 11:23:43 AM »
Thanks to Mac for a heads up on a great shooting rest for the Handi, I now own one. It's sold by Cabelas, made by InSTEP and is fully adjustable to accomodate the Handi's favor of the front rest being under the hinge. It also allows the barrel to tip down in the shooting position for reloading and cleaning. Comes with a gun vise rear support AND a handgun rest that is quite substantial, it weighs in at 20lbs total! The base and rest mountings are made of cast steel and the rest is made of mild steel, is very stoutly made.  Since I need all the help I can get to improve my bench shooting, this is a very welcome addition to my shooting gear. It will also work well for colony shooting when I head down to southern Oregon this spring for some sage rat shooting!! :grin:

Cabela's Premier Shooting Rest

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 07:41:36 PM »
I thought it would work pretty good for us Handi-holics...and  I know it does for shooting those non-standard Handi's ...Santa's already been told what to put under the tree for me...provided I stay Good" the rest of the year :)  :)

Let us know how much better it helps ya Quick...(...like you really need that much help anyway :lol:  :lol:  :lol: )

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 07:57:56 PM »
Quick.
Have a look at the Model IV
I have one of those and it is a pretty good one,  Maybe a bit too heavy to pack around in the field.

http://www.nationalmatchriflerests.com/productdetail.asp?id=4
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 01:31:18 AM »
Hum, been thinkin of what to use my cabela's points for :grin:
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline lik2hunt

• I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 01:44:16 AM »
Somebody post a link to this one please OK?
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 02:04:52 AM »
Quick has it between the pictures in 1st post in blue as:
Cabela's priemier shooting rest

Offline Deadeye47

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 02:56:40 AM »
Well...I guess I'll have to wait till they go on for half price or maybe 60% off.... :eek:  You rich guys make it tough on this pauper... :roll:  Nice though...I'm adding it to my growing list for when I win Publishers Clearing House...
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 04:52:34 AM »
I probably wouldn't have bought it if I didn't have some Cabela's points and a $20 off Cabela's Bucks rebate, if you're interested, try this rebate number.... 030905650 and code TYKRJU, it's in their Spring Master catalog, worth $20 off a $150 order.....course ya hafta order something to go with the shooting rest to get to $150 cuz it's only $149.99. :wink:

Tim

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 04:57:19 AM »
Always need something else :-D  & I have a cupon also :-D  may have time tis weekend to look trought the catalog & do the dirty deed :eek:

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 05:31:32 AM »
That sure is a nice looking rest, but my 223 UV doesn't seem to need to be rested near the hinge.  I rest it most anyplace and doesn't seem to make a bit of difference.  Lucky I guess.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 06:23:15 AM »
Hmmmmmmm
Model IV

Price: $422.00
 as compared to...
Cabela's Premier Rifle Rest
Item:    UE-225893
Price:    $149.99

:eek:

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 06:44:36 AM »
Dang, Fred :eek: ....for that much they should include an Ultra Varmint and scope rings with it!!!! That's what I could buy for the difference...and have money left over for some ammo!!!! :)

One of the nice things about the Premier rest is it is real high which keeps you in a better, more natural shooting position, I'm really looking forward to shooting over this!! :wink:

Tim

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 07:20:38 AM »
Quote from: Mac11700
Hmmmmmmm
Model IV

Price: $422.00
 as compared to...
Cabela's Premier Rifle Rest
Item:    UE-225893
Price:    $149.99

:eek:

Mac[/q

Cabela's points plus rebate = $$0 :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 07:50:53 AM »
Sweeeeeeeet :-D  :-D  :-D  can't beat that with a stick...

Mac

Offline 6-24x42

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 07:54:18 AM »
I wonder if it is possible to weld up a rest like that. I have a study hall seventh hour of school and hare a lot of equipment in the metals shop to play with along with a teacher that is the cats meow. :wink:
Hustle, Desire, Discipline :gun4:

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 08:43:38 AM »
6-24x42, give it a whirl... You might end up with something a bit heavier than the commercial model but what the heck. Beats doing the same tired old projects your instructor has seen a zillion times.

Draw up a simple blueprint of the rest, keeping in mind your abilities and the equipment at your disposal, and see what happens.

Someone that frequents Rimfire Central might know of a rest that is sold by a metals instructor that is made by his students.....

Nixter

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 09:37:32 AM »
Those are sure pretty looking rests, although Fred M's is out of the question financially. The other is great but I think I'll end up still shooting off a rolled up blanket under the action....<><.... :-)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 10:08:32 AM »
Fred likes his cause it looks like a machinists kinda rest :grin:   All them knobs and dials would have me confused. :eek:
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline 6-24x42

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 10:22:37 AM »
You'd need a degree in physics and metalergy just to operate that thing and being that I have basically the IQ of a chimp, I would need a professor to come with it. J/K :)  :)  :)
Hustle, Desire, Discipline :gun4:

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 01:27:53 PM »
Well you guys, I better break the suspense. This rest can be operated with one hand while the other  arm is in a sling so to say. I bought this set so I could shoot my rifles without putting them to my shoulder.

The surgeon said no shooting for 9 month can you believe it. That was after I had my rotator cuff stitched back together and reinforced with chicken wire mesh. So what the hell is 200 or so extra bucks when yo can get back to shooting as soon as that rest sailed in.

Once this rest is clamped to the front of the bench or a 4" conrete bech top. It is leveled with a build in bubble you clamp the butt and strap down the forearm, crank the wheelies to put the x-hair on the target and pull the trigger. I fired some bodies 375H&H mag so sweat.

Now I have graduated to wee guns and I don't use that rest much. Only for some big kickers like the 300 Win Mag and the likes.

By the way there is nothing you can do with that Caballo rest that you can't do with front rest and a bunny ear rear bag if you are shooting off a table of some sorts. Like the Wichita front rest is cheap emough and is well made.   F-class shooters even use them prone, without the rear bag
They have pretty good elevation

Of course I like this set up because I use it for BR shooting.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 01:43:51 PM »
Well, I was shooting off a Caldwell Rock up front and a Caldwell rear bag as well....the InStep shooting rest is 100% more stable as far as I'm concerned! Plus the relationship between front and rear rest is always the same, just one less variable to cull out of the mix for consistent accuracy. And $422 compared to $150 is a $272 difference, not $200...like I said, enough for an Ultra and then some! :roll:

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 02:27:16 PM »
I don't think you can compare these two rests.  (They are like apples and oranges.) The Cabela model would definatly provide a more stable shooting platform then sand bags, but the shoulder still takes the recoil. The Mark 4 is designed provide a stable shooting platform AND to take that recoil off the shooter. I have arthritis invading me, and if the day ever comes I can't take a full day at the range developing my loads, I'll spend the bucks to be able to keep shooting!!
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2005, 02:39:01 PM »
Mt3030, a more affordable but still effective recoil absorbing rest is the Benchmaster...
I have one of these and have considered selling it, but the old A word you brought up may have me reconsidering that choice!!

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/store/products/productDisplay~manufacturer~BENCHMASTER~model~SHOOTER%27S+REST+SYSTEM.htm

http://www.gunsforsale.com/gunrest.htm

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 03:21:24 PM »
Quick..
Yes, I've seen and shot from the Benchmaster models. There are several other options out there too. I was just trying to point out that the two models being compared are both filling their own spot in the shooting field. (Its kind of like the 1/2 ton pick-up, which will do most of the work a rancher needs done, but when you hook up that loaded 5th wheel cattle trailer, the 3/4 or 1 ton gets the job done better.) The heavy constuction and weight of the Mark 4 is what the serious bench rest shooter is going to want, while the lighter model is going to meet the needs of most of us Handi shooters. (I like both apples and oranges!)
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 06:01:50 PM »
Quick.
You can go out and buy a cadillac and drive in comfort or buy a Volkswagen and get rattled and bumped. And yes with the money you save by buying the Volkswagen you can buy two years worth of fuel. It gets you there. Its cheap.

And for heavens sake don't even think about comparing the Benchmaster with the IV. And no they don't perform anywhere near the same. I own a IV so I should know. Yes I have shot on a Benchmaster my friend has one. Of course if you don't know about quality and performance, then price is the only thing to compare by. Like the old saying goes. Don't confuse me with facts my mind is made up.

I never said to buy one I just said to look at it, right away I get the price shoved down my throat.

If anyone ever used the bunny ear rear bag where you can squeeze the bag to make the really fine aiming adjustments, they may even like it thousands of BR shooters use them both on the bench and in the field on portable tables. You can crouch nicely into the gun with your elbow flat on the table raise the front rest up and down and squeeze the bag. It is pathetically simple. Perhaps that is the trouble.

No I don't like green eggs and ham, Sam I am. :D  :)
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline BeverlyHillbilly

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005, 02:21:53 AM »
Fred

On that Model IV, are the controls setup where a lefty could use them as easily as a right hander?  In the pictures it looked like it was for right handed mounting, but couldn't tell if you could turn them around or if there are controls on both sides.

Thanks
Rich C.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2005, 05:36:22 AM »
Rich.
The way my rest is set up the windage contol it is not convertable to left hand. But I don't see any trouble for the maker to mount the dive shaft on the right side for a left hand shooter. I am very sure that this would not be an unusual request, and should not cost any extra. You could do yourself but it would ruin the nice finish.

I don't have ab e-mail addres but here is the phone # 630-968-9069
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2005, 02:02:09 PM »
A bit too many pretty pennies too much for me
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline getom59

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2005, 03:00:30 PM »
Quote from: lostsniper308
A bit too many pretty pennies too much for me

Me too!

I just recently bought this rest (Item: QS-226685) from CabelaÂ’s for $40.

I went to CabelaÂ’s just to get CaldwellÂ’s The Rock because they were on sale but I seen this one and liked it better.  I compared The Rock, HoppeÂ’s, and this rest side by side and thought it was made better than any of them.  ItÂ’s made out of cast iron and itÂ’s seems heavier and just as steady as the others.  This rest comes with a suede front rest and itÂ’s quite abit less money than the others.  I havenÂ’t tried it out yet but in any case itÂ’ll be better than what IÂ’ve been using.  

CabelaÂ’s is selling these rests for a good price compared to DunhamÂ’s.  I was in DunhamÂ’s today and seen that they had this same rest for $119—must have been a mistake.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2005, 02:30:52 PM »
getom59.
That is a fine looking front rest, for a very good price. This is a perfect set up for a portable shooting table. A bunny ear rear bag for $37 would do the set up.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.