Author Topic: Can you change the finish on a New Receiver?  (Read 578 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Can you change the finish on a New Receiver?
« on: April 13, 2005, 01:16:45 PM »
If you don't care for the standard finish on the shotgun receivers, could you re-blue it to a matte finish like the turkey gun receiver?  Is it a lot of work?  Is it expensive?  Does it last?  Can I do it myself?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Can you change the finish on a New Receiver
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 07:36:56 PM »
If you want to keep the finish but just camo it...look in a archery catalog or department ...and pick up some of the removable camo spray paint...I have used some of it before...a long time back...on different bows...and it is a pretty good temp fix.....if you want to permently redo the finish...you'll have to stip all the oil off and paint it with Krylon...or high temp paint...then wire wool it...and spray it again...it should dull up nicely...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Painting sounds good!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 11:48:26 PM »
Thanks Mac.  The second half of your comments is what I was wondering about.  I didn't know if I could paint it.  That's what I'm after.  A flat black, matte finish.  Somehow the case harded finish just wouldn't look good if the storck and forend are black.  I would, of course tape up the trigger and guard area and also the hammer and the interior of the receiver.  Don't want to change the tolerances of any of those areas.  Thanks.  BTY, that Krylon is really good paint.  Once used it on the fenders of an old Chevy and it lasted quite well and looked good too.
Thanks
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Priming
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 11:48:13 PM »
Markus,
You didn't mention anything about priming the receiver first.  Do I need to do that or do I just need to shoot 2 coats of paint.  You mentioned also, HIGH TEMP paint.  Do you know the name of a good brand.  Would auto engine paint work?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 09:48:07 AM »
That was Mac that responded to you about the paint. I'd shoot it with some bare metal primer then a couple coats of flat black. I dont think you really need to worry about high temp paint for the receiver but if you were doing the barrel too I'd get some flat black BBQ paint. I've heard that's what some guys in Alaska do. I've always wanted to try some of that camo tape that you wrap on then shrink with a hair dryer.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
APOLOGIES
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 11:45:15 AM »
Sorry guys!  I had a long day yesterday.  Thank you both for the input.  That flatblack idea sounds interesting on the receiver.  Thanks
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 02:23:17 PM »
Markus:

I would strongly advise against the shrink tubing type stuff...water and condensation stay under it...I ruined a 870 barrel with it once...never again...but the BBQ paint kinda intriques me...I would bet it's a form of hightemp paint to last like it does...any of the tape stuff can get water under it too...I've used both kinds...you have to be carefull...the spray on bow paint won't harm any finish it's sprayed on...so you can take it off real easy...if you want...or touch it up if it rubs off...

Mac

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 02:39:56 PM »
If you were interested in a finish as on the Sportsters why not call H&R. They refinish recievers for a very reasonable fee of approximately $15.00. You might just ask them to glass bead it first then blue it for a matte finish, much easier and less labor intensive than polishing and then blueing. If they glass bead it before bluing it should come out looking like a Sportster reciever with a matte finish....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 03:08:54 PM »
Ya See...Ya learn something good and new just by being a member here...

Thanks MSP...good information...I had no idea they were doing this...

Mac

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 03:30:56 PM »
it's OK Mac, whatever I can do to help...

Here it is...

FACTORY REFINISHING (From 2004 Retail Parts Price List)

Reblue Barrel-----------------------------------------------$10.00
Refinish Rifle Frame - Blue-------------------------------$20.00
Refinish Baystate ----Color Case Hardening---------$15.00
Shipping & Handling--------------------------------------$10.00

I have thought of sending in about 5 or 10 frames all at once to see if I could save shipping and handling charges. I have heard when you send in one of the matte finish Sportster frames (I personally don't like that finish) your get it back buffed and polished with a much better blue job, similar to an Ultra receiver!!! Also I have heard an unsubstantiated rumor they will NOT do a Color Case Hardened finish (my preference) on
a reciever unless it was originally finished that way. I have not checked further because I
am not even close yet to sending in a bunch of recievers for refinishing....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Refinishing
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 07:36:23 PM »
Thanks MSP.
That would be a much better way than for me to do it.  Especially, if you had the receiver there for a barrel fitting anyway.  Would probably only add a couple days to the turn around time.  I will have to check that out.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"