Author Topic: !!!!What a bad day!!!!  (Read 1086 times)

Offline HouseofCash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
!!!!What a bad day!!!!
« on: April 15, 2005, 05:20:41 PM »
Man, I went to the range tonight to practice one more time for the GSSF match tomorrow. Now for starters I know I will not win. I have seen the shooters. But, Im not going to win. Im going to have a good time and see some friends.

Top score is a 500. That is 50 bulls-eyes at 12, 25, 50, 70, 25, 50 feet. I AVG. a 450. I am pretty happy about that but, Im always tryn to hit that 500. Not to win, but more as a self goal.

Well tonight I brought 200 rounds to the range and was going to make a few practice runs. Well, the first 50 rounds I scored a 400. Man I was madder then hell. It stayed around there in the low 400s all night. I did not even finish the last 50 rounds I was so mad, I was shooting out of anger and it was slowly getting worse. So I left.

All night I have been pretty bet up about it. I just dont know what I did wrong. I hope tomorrow I do better.

All I can think of is that I was sleepy and that might have been why, or, my dad was there also and I was tryn to do good for him to show him I have been practicing.

I know one thing I did wrong for sure. I stated to 2nd guess my stance and hand grip. I started to try other things I was not sure about and thats not always good to do when you are 24 hours away from the match.

Anyhow, have any of you guys ever had a bad shooting day?

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline Glanceblamm

!!!!What a bad day!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 05:42:39 PM »
Im going to have a good time and see some friends.

This is the main thing. If it is something that you really like to do, you will continually improve.
HOWEVER...
Sometimes incredibly small stuff can make a difference. Something as simple as a sandwich & bottled water or even a candy bar can help a bunch. Common medications such as cold or sinus can hurt your preformance.

Am glad to hear that you are having fun. :D

Offline williamlayton

!!!!What a bad day!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 01:39:06 AM »
I will change the sport to show the thought I am trying to convey.
When I play golf, sometimes I have a swing and sometimes I have a bad swing, depending on the day. I normally do my best when I become less technical, therefore less result oriented. Trying to stay in the moment, you can do nothing about the past and certainly not the future, letting each shot be the only one that I have any control over and trying not to control that shot just letting it happen.
It is a little trick I play with myself and it helps.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
!!!!What a bad day!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 01:52:32 AM »
I think we all have bad days. I just get over it and move on. If you know you can shoot better that what you did, don't worry about it.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Questor

!!!!What a bad day!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 02:41:07 AM »
HouseOfCash:

Forget it.

Just think of the good targets you've had and how you got them.  Feast on the memory of those wonderfully placed bullseyes you got those times when you were at your best.
Safety first

Offline Iowegan

• A Real Regular
!!!!What a bad day!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 06:38:59 AM »
I used to shoot in a handicap league and maintained a pretty low handicap. Every once-in-awhile, I would have a bad day and trash the scores. As I got more experience, I learned to maintain my sight picture and consistent grip. Then when I had a bad day, my scores would drop a little but not enough to embarrass me.  I learned to avoid coffee and other soft drinks containing caffeine. We used to joke about "liquid group tightener" (beer) but always saved it for after the match.

Believe it or not, vitamins help, especially ones with zinc. Zinc helps your eyes focus better and will help prevent "shooter fatigue".
GLB

Offline Savage

!!!!What a bad day!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 01:07:15 PM »
I sometimes have a "Bad shooting day" but never a "Bad day shooting!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mayor of Hobbs Knob

• Avid Poster
!!!!What a bad day!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 05:46:57 AM »
Once you have the physical skills to hit the bullseye most of the time, you have the skill to hit it every time.  If you don't, the problem is not your hand but your head.  Congratulations on stopping when things got bad.  Shooting when frustrated reinforces bad habits and never produces good.  Put it away until your head is more positive and your thinking is on the picture of the perfect shot.

Just my observations.  It applies to acrhery, bowling, golf, etc.

PS  I've never shot a perfect round with a handgun.  Did do it once with a bow.  Note the "once"!
"It is better to be quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Offline lisa1lacy2

• Avid Poster
!!!!What a bad day!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 07:30:27 AM »
SAVAVGE said it best :-)  :-)  :-)
Brian Milner

:blaster:
my idea of gun control is a firm grip.

Offline Throckmorton

• Trade Count: (3)
!!!!What a bad day!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 04:57:13 AM »
The best way in the world to have a bad shoot is to lift your head,evena smidge,to see if ya hit the target.
Just ask a trapshooter.
shoot your game and ignore the scorek,it will take care of itself if you do your part.
and above all,keep on  8)

Offline PeterF.

• Avid Poster
!!!!What a bad day!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 02:11:45 AM »
This thread goes back a couple of weeks, now.  I'm curious as to how House of Cash did in his actual competition, the next day ... with or without the various comments, advice & encouragement he's gotten here.

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
!!!!What a bad day!!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 07:08:34 PM »
Sorry guys, I never did give every one an update.

I did think about what every one said, even as I was shooting. I ended up making a 450. I hit 45 out of 50 bulls-eyes. Not good anuff to place. But, I had a great time with my father. My mom even came to watch, I could tell she was pulling for me. So, I tried my hardest for her. I turned around every once and a while and gave her a smile. It was a great day.

Thanks you guys for your words. It trully helped out there on the line.

Dave.
GSSF Member