Author Topic: Scheduled cannon shoots  (Read 659 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Scheduled cannon shoots
« on: April 17, 2005, 06:48:03 AM »
I found this schedule while cruising the net.

http://www.nwtskirmisher.com/schedule.shtml

Offline guardsgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Scheduled cannon shoots
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 07:39:59 AM »
DD,

If you would like, I can post the details on Camp Grayling when the paperwork arrives in the next month or so.
     Last year there were better than 20 pcs. shooting the 1000 yd. match. Pretty impressive to see them working with full service charges. There were also 4 8" and a 10" mortar shooting at a stake 900yds. out and 10 plus 24 pdrs. Canister round ,grape shot, a couple of gatling guns, an Agar coffee mill.
    it is one of "the " place's for a cannon guy to go.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Scheduled cannon shoots
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 08:01:41 AM »
Quote from: guardsgunner
.... If you would like, I can post the details on Camp Grayling when the paperwork arrives in the next month or so.
     Last year there were better than 20 pcs. shooting the 1000 yd. match. Pretty impressive to see them working with full service charges. There were also 4 8" and a 10" mortar shooting at a stake 900yds. out and 10 plus 24 pdrs. Canister round ,grape shot, a couple of gatling guns, an Agar coffee mill.
    it is one of "the " place's for a cannon guy to go.

BY ALL MEANS!  Keep us up to date on what's happening!

DD & I have met at Ft Shennendoah for the N-SSA events, because it's between us.  But we need folks from across the nation to post of ongoing activities in their local areas.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
Scheduled cannon shoots
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 01:06:26 PM »
CW,
    I found this cannon shoot on-line which might interest the guys on the west coast. Well, Wyoming close enough to the west coast to for me
anyway. Full size and scale guns. Not sure about how to make a link hopes this works.
Hatcher Gun

If you come up to Winchester again maybe we could meet after playtime is over.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Scheduled cannon shoots
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 03:21:08 PM »
guardsgunner -

You posted it well.  Very interesting  group & some serious machining on the 3" Parrott rifle.  

I'd love to have one but for the weight and size.  So I'll probably end up doing a golf-ball caliber Parrott or Mountain Howitzer as 100 yard range is about the limit on what I have access to.

Love to get together with y'all if you're ever down this way.  Winchester is only about 3 to 3-1/2 hours from where I live and a bit less from DD.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
Scheduled cannon shoots
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 02:49:12 AM »
Here's a little info on Camp Grayling 2005. Hope to see some of you up there.

15th Annual Historic Artillery Match   

On July 23 & 24, Range 8 at Camp Grayling will echo with the sights, sounds, and smells of historic ordnance, in use once again. For the fifteenth year, a long range competition with historic ordnance is sponsored by Loomis’ Battery of Michigan light artillery at Camp Grayling and the public is invited to observe the activities.

Approximately twenty Civil War and Spanish American War field guns are expected to take part in the competition, as well as a dozen Civil War mortars. The use of historic cannon in modern recreational competition began back in the 1950’s and continues in various organizations, most notably in the North – South Skirmish Association east of the Mississippi, and the Civil War Skirmish Association, from there to the West Coast. Since most all of the completions are tied to private civilian ranges the historic cannon have rarely been fired beyond 200 yards, until the Camp Grayling matches began in 1990. Now the historic guns are firing at realistic ranges up to 1000 yards, and their real potential can be appreciated.

The Civil War saw the first use of rifled cannon and they predominate at the 1000 yard event, but bronze smoothbores also attend, firing at a realistic 500 yard range. Also attending in significant numbers are the smaller class “mountain rifles” as used in the 1860-1898 period. Most are early breechloaders of 1.65 Inch caliber.

All ammunition is inert, but impacts are easily observed, making it interesting for spectators. Targeting is both “bullseye” and simulated counter-battery. Field guns fire 15 shots for score and five at replica field guns built as targets.

Spectators get an extra thrill out of the mortar match since the balls are quite large—from six to eight inches—and are easily seen throughout their slow trajectory. Mortars fire at a downrange flag and the winner is the one with the aggregate of closest hits, computed as the re-useable balls are recovered after the match.

A cannister event is also fired on adjacent Range 7. The multi-ball shotgun like charges were deadly at ranges under 300 yards. Their effect is very well seen as a rippling wave of impacts passes downrange, taking several seconds to make the distance.

The event is sponsored by Loomis’ Battery of Michigan Light Artillery, which was founded in 1960 to study and interpret the light artillery of the Civil War. Spectators with any interest in the big guns of the past will find the program on Saturday, July 23rd from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. very interesting. A cash trophy rematch will also be fired the following day, simulating a documented event in January 1862 when the original Loomis’ Battery fired at a single newspaper sheet at 1000 yards. Also on Sunday, July 24th, a brief mortar match will be fired as well as a match for smaller mountain-class artillery. The Sunday program will end by noon. The range can be accessed from M-72 West, Arrowhead Road and follow the signs.

For additional information, contact Matt Switlik, Adjutant, LOOMIS BATTERY [313]243-7137

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
Scheduled cannon shoots
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 08:27:25 AM »
John N,
   Are you planning on the trip trip to Grayling?  I will be there. Are you with a crew?

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
Scheduled cannon shoots
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 09:00:19 AM »
guardsgunner,

I'm not associated with any crews (yet). My mom lives in Grayling and I usually visit every summer. Although I'm familiar with the huge National Guard base there, I didn't know about the annual long range competition until I discovered it in one of the resource listings on this board.

I will definitely be there this year and hope to take some pictures of the events. I'll be bringing up a couple of scale cannons to do some family shooting apart from the official event.

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Scheduled cannon shoots
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 03:19:47 PM »
The FAMOUS NRA Whittington Center, located at Raton, NM (only about 20 miles South of the Colorado border) has a listing of interest in their 2005 Schedule of Events.  Shows the Colorado Cannon Match will take place at their facility, which a state-of-the-art range, on August 5 - 7 of 2005.  Event sponsor for this match is Colorado Cannon Club.  Person to contact about this is Leonard Marsh, 350 Indiana St., Suite 360, Golden, CO.  Phone number is 303-273-0012.  If I remember correctly, last year there were only about seven (7) guns participating but the event wasn't really publicized very much.  This year, hopefully, there will be a larger assembly of cannon/mortar shooters.  And, I believe the crews of last year acted in a very informal but still a SAFE manner.  Raton, NM is located right on Interstate 25 and perhaps is located pretty far for most of us BP cannon/mortar shooters but it just may be worth the trip.  I sure hope someone who is interested in this type match is able to attend besides me.  I will do all I can to attend the match since it is located only 30 miles from me but I will not be shooting since my artillery is all of the scale class and the last years shooters were all BIG bore stuff.  Don't know if this year they may just promote at least one match limited to only scale guns. Blaster (Bob in CO)  :D
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)